PDA

View Full Version : Beckham to leave Real Madrid

Hugh
10-01-2007, 15:45
Beckham 'to leave Real in summer'

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid in the summer, according to the club's sporting director Predrag Mijatovic.
"Beckham will leave us, we will not renew his contract with the club," he told Sky Italia television. The 31-year-old, whose current deal expires in June, has been linked with a host of clubs from England, Italy, Spain, France and the United States. Beckham has found his opportunities limited at Real this season under coach Fabio Capello.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm)

Gareth
10-01-2007, 17:00
I remember him saying he'd not play for another club in England again after feeling betrayed by Man U, but I'm sure the Villa faithful would welcome him with open arms if he decided to join Villa :D

Stuart
10-01-2007, 17:03
Moved to Sports.

danielf
10-01-2007, 17:06
I believe Falkirk have an opening?

orangebird
10-01-2007, 17:09
Why the blinkin' flip he'd WANT to come back to the UK is beyond me. He should go to America and has a nice life :)

TheDaddy
10-01-2007, 17:10
I think he may find a home in France

gazzae
10-01-2007, 17:27
Story has been updated...

However, Mijatovic later said his words had been mistranslated and he actually said: "Beckham's contract has not been renewed, yet."

However, the BBC understands talks are scheduled to go ahead later this week.

Delta Whiskey
10-01-2007, 20:52
Wherever he goes, I wish him well. Only those with a very short memory or some other agenda would deny he was a hell of a player.

DW

gazzae
10-01-2007, 21:03
Indeed.

Giggs Keane Scholes Beckham - What a midfield

jellybaby
10-01-2007, 21:05
Wherever he goes, I wish him well. Only those with a very short memory or some other agenda would deny he was a hell of a player.

DW

:tu: Well said

Shadow Demon UK
11-01-2007, 16:15
Beckham agrees to join LA Galaxy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm)

TheDaddy
11-01-2007, 16:21
Beckham agrees to join LA Galaxy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm)

Wow, I am quite shocked by this news, I think he could end up regretting this decision, although he is in decline he still has a couple of good, top level years left in him.

I wonder what his arrival will do for U.S. football, they have tried hard not to go down the NY Cosmos route and actually build an infrastructure, lets hope for the good of the game there that it isn't abandoned in favour of signing older players with their best days behind them

Delta Whiskey
11-01-2007, 16:23

It would be LA wouldn't it, Victoria will be in heaven. :D

Good luck to the guy, I hope it's what he really wants.

DW

Shadow Demon UK
11-01-2007, 16:30
Wow, I am quite shocked by this news, I think he could end up regretting this decision, although he is in decline he still has a couple of good, top level years left in him.

I wonder what his arrival will do for U.S. football, they have tried hard not to go down the NY Cosmos route and actually build an infrastructure, lets hope for the good of the game there that it isn't abandoned in favour of signing older players with their best days behind them

It seems strange seeing that so many big European clubs wanted him and he ends up going to a league that to be honest is poor, i cannot help think its to do with money.

George Best did the same thing in his career, i think he went to the Los Angeles Aztecs and a team in San Jose and ended up coming back to England, maybe Beckham will do the same.

TheDaddy
11-01-2007, 16:46
It seems strange seeing that so many big European clubs wanted him and he ends up going to a league that to be honest is poor, i cannot help think its to do with money.

That's what I meant about regretting it, how many millions do you need and you are a long time retired in that sport, of course he may have an eye on helping them really try to develop the game out the, with some sort of ambassadorial role when he eventually retires, I could see that appealing to him, his soccer schools wouldn't be harmed by such an adventure either. Just seen this, the mind boggoling £128 million contract probably help make his mind up to ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

gazzae
11-01-2007, 17:08
It will be interesting to see what this does for "soccer" in North America.

With a team from Toronto joining the MLS next season I might try and coincide my next trip there when they are playing LA.

orangebird
11-01-2007, 17:33
I'm glad he took my advice. :D

NoKnowledge
11-01-2007, 18:00
Why did he join LA for $250000000.00?, if the story is true.

LA are at the bottom of the Western Conference (http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/standings)
who have won 10, lost 13 and draw 6 times = played 29 games

Hugh
11-01-2007, 19:09

LA are at the bottom of the Western Conference (http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/standings)
I think you may have answered your own question - $250,000,000 ($50,000,000 a year, or in your Earth Pounds Sterling, £25 million a year). :D

Shadow Demon UK
11-01-2007, 19:18

I used to have a lot of respect for Beckham, i thought he was one of those players that put playing football at the highest level before money, but i am obviously wrong. He's joined a poor club in a poor league, he will probably come out with the 'helping football grow' rubbish, but the only reason he's gone there is the money they offered. I thought he wanted to get back in the England team, which i doubt will happen now, in my opinion moving to LA is like moving to a league two side. Bad decision by Beckham :td:

DocDutch
11-01-2007, 19:23
yeah totally agree with you there Shadow... Becks was a brilliant player with a good eye for the ball...but I do think that the States dont have a footie team that could beat say a team like Notts County or even worse a conference side.

bad move Becks but hey look in your wallet, just dont expect another call up for the England squad now.

TheDaddy
11-01-2007, 19:31
I used to have a lot of respect for Beckham, i thought he was one of those players that put playing football at the highest level before money, but i am obviously wrong. He's joined a poor club in a poor league, he will probably come out with the 'helping football grow' rubbish, but the only reason he's gone there is the money they offered. I thought he wanted to get back in the England team, which i doubt will happen now, in my opinion moving to LA is like moving to a league two side. Bad decision by Beckham :td:

I agree, but at the same time that is a phenomenal amount of money, even for a multi millionaire to turn down, not bad for a player whose best day's are behind him

gazzae
11-01-2007, 20:24
Er you do realise LA Galaxy won the MLS in 2005? They did the double then as well also winning the Open Cup.

Sure they had a bad season his year, but they also lost their Coach who had a heart attack on a flight back from a game bound to affect them.

On the bright side for them finishing with such a poor record will mean they get one of the best players in the draft.

NoKnowledge
11-01-2007, 20:27
Are you a MLS fan then?

TheDaddy
11-01-2007, 20:28
On the bright side for them finishing with such a poor record will mean they get one of the best players in the draft.

Who will be his employers, don't the MLS keep all the players registrations?

gazzae
11-01-2007, 20:35
Are you a MLS fan then?

I follow it from playing the league in FM.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Who will be his employers, don't the MLS keep all the players registrations?

They do.
All club revenue also goes to the MLS and this is shared equally so the big market teams support the smaller market ones.

NoKnowledge
11-01-2007, 21:01
I follow it from playing the league in FM.

FM?

Perhaps Fort Myers, Florida?

gazzae
11-01-2007, 21:32
FM?

Perhaps Fort Myers, Florida?

Football Manager

http://www.footballmanager.net/en/article/21/index.html

yesman
12-01-2007, 17:21
I wonder if Beckham will have made enough money by 2012 to purchase Manchester United.

:)

Nor
12-01-2007, 23:41
I thought he might actually have joined Celtic at one point :)

SnoopZ
12-01-2007, 23:44
He will be on £500,000 a week! or if you like 80pence a second. i think i could live on that....think...

TheDaddy
13-01-2007, 12:25
I see his arrival has started speculation on who will be next, already I've seen Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo etc mentioned, seem's like the lessons from the 70's may have been forgotten

sir_drinks_alot
13-01-2007, 13:19
He will feel right at home most of the managers in MLS are from the uk !

gazzae
13-01-2007, 17:15
BECKHAM REAL CAREER OVER

David Beckham will never play for Real Madrid again, according to the club's Italian coach Fabio Capello.

The former England captain, 31, has agreed a move to LA Galaxy in the USA when his contract in Spain expires at the end of June.

But Capello has apparently ruled out any chance of Beckham playing a role for his side in the remaining months of his contract.

"Beckham will train with the team but he won't play," Capello told a press conference on Saturday.

His omission from Real's plans is sure to draw interest from clubs looking for a short-term loan deal, or Galaxy could even look to take him to California in time for the start of the MLS season in April.

Capello added: "The decision of the player is to go to Los Angeles, he has always been a great professional, but a player who has such an important contract with another club, we cannot count on him. He is not going to play any more."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1833861,00.html

Gareth
13-01-2007, 18:35
He will be on £500,000 a week! or if you like 80pence a second. i think i could live on that....think...Yep, not bad for a lad from Leytonstone :)

However, the $250M figure being bounded about assumes that all their targets are met, as he's not really get $50M p/year per se - there's a lot of it which isn't guaranteed. For example, he's getting all his endorsement money, unlike his Real Madrid deal, plus he gets a cut of the shirt sales, and he gets a proportion of the ticket sales.

If things go to plan then he'll make the $250M, but I think that's quite a big if. Soccer isn't anywhere near as big in the US as it is in Yur-Up. Even David Beckham will have a hard time raising its profile. Americans love baseball, grid-iron and basketball - I don't think the media will be on his side to help out.

Still, he's onto a nice little earner whatever happens, it's just I don't think it'll be $250M.

NoKnowledge
14-01-2007, 05:03
Americans love baseball, grid-iron and basketball

If you half say it like that, then you might as well say it fully

Americans love the diamond, grid-iron and the hardwood ;)

danielf
14-01-2007, 17:23
Boss Alexi Lalas believes the signing of ex-England captain David Beckham in August could help to make LA Galaxy the world's biggest football club.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6260781.stm

Derek
14-01-2007, 17:34
Boss Alexi Lalas believes the signing of ex-England captain David Beckham in August could help to make LA Galaxy the world's biggest football club.

Well they are an American club...