PDA

View Full Version : Resistance: Fall of Man [PS3]

Tezcatlipoca
07-01-2007, 22:33
gamesTM (http://www.gamestm.co.uk/) issue 52 has a review of this much-hyped PS3 launch title, which has been hailed by some as the PS3's answer to Halo, Gears of War, etc.

gamesTM is the only print mag I trust for games. I don't think much of Edge normally, & I never trust reviews from single-format mags (especially the "Official" mags), be they Xbox, PS, Nintendo, etc.

Anyway...

Comparing Resistance to Epic's monster [Gears of War] is unfair. The two are quite different; Fall of Man's a very traditional shooter. The immediate point of reference [to Resistance] is Call of Duty 3 - both feature standard FPS mechanics, both are heavy on action, both cram as many soldiers on screen as possible, and both are inescapably linear.
But where COD3 thrilled with its set pieces and terrifying atmosphere, Resistance falls noticeably short.

[snip]

Q: How are the graphics?
A: They vary from lovely to downright PS2 ugly.

Q: Enemy AI?
A: Decent, but not on a par with Halo, Half-Life, or F.E.A.R.

Q: Do the physics aid gameplay?
A: No, they're just eye-candy. Good though.

[snip]

If Resistance is here to hail a new generation of PlayStation, we'll stick with the last.

[snip]

One salient fact remains however: Resistance: Fall of Man - a PS3 launch title with a thunderous hype machine behind it - is vastly inferior to a five-year-old Xbox game. It really speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Verdict: 6/10

Playable but ultimately uninspiring.

More reviews at Metacritic.com

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/resistancefallofman

Some good reviews & scores from IGN, various single-format PlayStation mags/sites, & mags/site I've never heard of.

7/10 from Edge.

kronas
08-01-2007, 00:02
i dont think its that fair to compare GOW with resistance fall of man, they are simaler in looks and maybe gameplay (atleast alot of people who play it have said) but GOW was in development for a long time and the 360 has been out at retail for more than a year now, its only a first gen game, even the initial batch of 360 games were unimpressive!

Tezcatlipoca
08-01-2007, 00:40
But neither I nor the review compared it to GOW.

It's the fanboys & the hype-machine who've been saying it's the PS3's answer to Gears of War (& Halo).

From the review, again.....

Comparing Resistance to Epic's monster [Gears of War] is unfair. The two are quite different; Fall of Man's a very traditional shooter. The immediate point of reference [to Resistance] is Call of Duty 3 - both feature standard FPS mechanics, both are heavy on action, both cram as many soldiers on screen as possible, and both are inescapably linear.
But where COD3 thrilled with its set pieces and terrifying atmosphere, Resistance falls noticeably short.

kronas
08-01-2007, 01:00
to be honest i myself thought it was COD3 like, but i have not played resistance so i cant say.

but to suffice to say it will still sell in my opinion, its going to be a launch game for us, i doubt there will be little else to worth buying at the eu launch....

shawty
08-01-2007, 01:54
to be honest i myself thought it was COD3 like, but i have not played resistance so i cant say.

but to suffice to say it will still sell in my opinion, its going to be a launch game for us, i doubt there will be little else to worth buying at the eu launch....

If you like F1 games i think that is dew out on the European launch of the ps3 and it looks very impresive indeed. Hopefully they will include the onlinde mode in the US/EU release as they didnt in Japan.

http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/screenshot328.jpg
http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/screenshot196.jpg
http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/screenshot187.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/7...l_1778270.html (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748480/dl_1778270.html)

http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748480/img_4097328.html

Also Motorstorm is supposed to be dew out on launch i think and that is looking great to, both games have had good reviews over on the av forums where i got the pics.

http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748488/img_4150101.html
http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748488/img_4150093.html

Tezcatlipoca
08-01-2007, 23:04

Yep, it'll definitely sell...prob. better at least than the rest of the launch games...

Devil May Cry & Metal Gear Solid look very good, but it'll be a fair wait before they come out....

Damien
08-01-2007, 23:31
To be honest, with so many 'exclusive titles' going mutli-platform and the Xbox 360 holding its own graphicially against the PS3. I fail to see why the PS3 is worth the extra money.

shawty
08-01-2007, 23:34
To be honest, with so many 'exclusive titles' going mutli-platform and the Xbox 360 holding its own graphicially against the PS3. I fail to see why the PS3 is worth the extra money.

Can we not have a debate on the 360 v PS3 for a change, its worth the extra money because of the blu-ray, if you dont think that then you wont buy it but plenty of people will. And yes plenty of 360 games look stunnung but so do plenty of PS3 games like the 2 that i linked to in my previous post.

ready2win
07-03-2007, 16:49
Im thinking of getting resistance as a launch title, anyone else played it yet? I swear it looks amazing! I just wanna hear first hand reviews from you guys.

Tezcatlipoca
07-03-2007, 23:36
Im thinking of getting resistance as a launch title, anyone else played it yet? I swear it looks amazing! I just wanna hear first hand reviews from you guys.

:welcome:

I've merged your thread with an earlier one about "Resistance: Fall of Man" within the Playstation forum.

No 1st hand reviews here yet at CF, but the 1st post has quotes from a gamesTM review, & links to various reviews at Metacritic.

MacmillaN
26-03-2007, 04:39
Would be good to hear someones veiws on the game...??? as im also thinking of getting this came when i get the PS3...

Downloads
26-03-2007, 08:46
I nearly bought it but decided against it. Luckily there is a demo in the shop section, will let you know after i have played it once i get home from work!

(I agree, the PS3 vs 360 discussion on every PS3 thread is slightly a pain)

MacmillaN
26-03-2007, 09:08
Thanks Downloads

zrerz
26-03-2007, 13:32
I bought resistance (and Motorstorm) on the release day (as did everyone else buying the PS3).
I find it a decent FPS, but as has been said, it's early days yet, let the software catch up to the potential of the hardware, and we'll see.
As for the GOW, I finished that on the 360, but Resistance is a far bigger game, so, for me at least, I'm getting better value for money, as I can enjoy longer hours of gameplay.

Downloads
26-03-2007, 20:54
Played the demo and i was quite pleasantly surprised. People had been talking it down, but rather unjustly i think. It's not a classic, but deffinitely a good play, i'd put it somewhere between GoW and CoD3. Controls felt good and the AI was good too.

Graphics wern't bad either for the start of a first gen console.

Only problem for me is, i was really hoping to spend the money on Untold Legends, maybe i will get it if the PS3 has a big baron spell like the 360 had.

WHISTLED
26-03-2007, 21:56
Its a good game - Not the best ive ever played but it has the addictive factor which means i havent been back on the PS3 since Friday because my eyes couldnt take any more.

Ive also played GOW and didnt really like it - awesome graphics but too dark for me I play poorly because I cant see what im doing!

Slyder
26-03-2007, 22:07
I read a review of this game somewhere and it slated it for being "poor mans gears of war"

The game itself is ok... but not on par with GoW.. good try thou. :)

MacmillaN
28-03-2007, 23:06
I think this game is good.... Sony needed a game like this to compete with Halo and so far the game looks promising...

There also in talks about making a 2nd version which i read somewhere...

Raindancer
31-03-2007, 00:45
Stupid me i followed the hype and brought it with my PS3, took 10 mins to get bored. Sure the graphics look sweet compared to my PS2. But in terms of gameplay

NO!

MacmillaN
02-04-2007, 04:13
I think the gameplay is decent on the game... sure there are many things you would do different in the next version but its like that with nearly every game that comes out...lol

Resistance: Fall of Man was a good launch title for the PS3 and a good way to combat the Halo Series on the XBOX 360... this next gen war between the 2 could end up being a good thing for us consumers... and it will make or break both companys...

leedrummond
22-04-2007, 13:34
got my ps3 yesterday with motomadness and resistance

loving both games so far,
playing online right now on resistance, :-)

Tezcatlipoca
22-04-2007, 14:46
What's the online side of it like?

Paranoimia
04-05-2007, 16:55
The online side is pretty good. No lag or problems with any of the games I've got (Resistance, CoD3 and Motorstorm). Okay, online isn't quite up to Live standard yet, but it's only been around for 6 months, so that's to be expected. That said, it's better than Live was at the same time in its life.

Plus of course, when Home is released, it'll be the dogs danglies.

leedrummond
04-05-2007, 17:24
its brilliant, not played much of it yet, i play motorstorm loads more.
My fiancee has played it online and loves it, however says its rather hard playing all the ppl who spend so much time on the game.

Cerberus
04-05-2007, 17:42
R:FoM is an ok game, but disappointing inareas. The story line is good and some of the weapons are amazing. The online play though is very good.

However, I soon dropped the game when I bought Fight Night Round 3 and Motorstorm. I will get back into it soon to complete it.

leedrummond
04-05-2007, 21:06
ithink it would be better if it alowed 2 players on the same console to play against others online, its is not possible is it? correct me if im wrong, or suggest a game thatwould allow me to do this

Cerberus
04-05-2007, 21:15
ithink it would be better if it alowed 2 players on the same console to play against others online, its is not possible is it? correct me if im wrong, or suggest a game thatwould allow me to do this

I don't think that is possible and/or a game available that would allow you to do this.

leedrummond
04-05-2007, 21:37
its looking that way,

thatsnot very good really, as the ps2 did it

Cerberus
04-05-2007, 21:44
its looking that way,

thatsnot very good really, as the ps2 did it

Which doesn't mean to say that it won't be available to PS3 owners in the future. I think the problem could be with ebing signed into the Playstaion Network as I can't see any viable way to log into 2 accounts using one PS3 console/game.

leedrummond
04-05-2007, 22:04
ye i thought the same, with it all working in that way, signing in etc.

cant wait for"Home" tobe released, whats the date for this ?

Cerberus
05-05-2007, 11:55
ye i thought the same, with it all working in that way, signing in etc.

cant wait for"Home" tobe released, whats the date for this ?

October '07 according to WIKI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_Home#Release_Dates)