PDA

View Full Version : 08000 135333 NTL message

Flubflow
03-01-2007, 12:49
Over the last few days I have received 3 silent calls from this number:
0800 0 135333
Yesterday, the 3rd one, I decided to call it back. It was a recorded message saying that is was NTL and that they were unable to contact me and they will try again over the next few days (which is nonsense because I've always been here).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have been at home 99% of the time and answered all of these calls only to get the silence. I think on one occassion there was actually office noise in the background but nobody actually answering my repeated "hello's".

BTW: I finally cancelled my awful NTL cable TV package last week (this is the only communication I have had with them recently).

Paul K
03-01-2007, 13:16
Could be a faulty auto-dialler which has your number due to a follow up call being required to "find out why you cancelled your account" ;)

lauzjp
03-01-2007, 13:20
hmm, I've had silent calls the past few days - but I'm just letting the phone ring til it goes to the answer service now. I don't know what number/s have been calling - 0800 numbers, 0870 numbers... I've had problems with nuisance calls before - even on my mobile. I don't need that stress again! :disturbd: :(

Flubflow
03-01-2007, 13:49
Could be a faulty auto-dialler which has your number due to a follow up call being required to "find out why you cancelled your account" ;)

Oh the "rentention" guy quickly learned that I knew the score. I rejected all those free offers (you know, the ones the keep rebilling you for!). Even so, free rubbish is still rubbish. So, unless they are wanting to pay me to take their cable TV service or give me my NTL broadband for free too then I dunno why they think it is worth flagging me for recontact. Anyway, that subtopic is for another thread which I will have some questions for.

Flubflow
03-01-2007, 17:28
Well, I finally got though to NTL customer services.
They have no idea about these silent calls from themselves to me either.
Par for the course I suppose. After checking a few things, the best they could do was gave me the phone number of the TPS! (which I've been on for years). Oh great! NTL tells me to use the TPS regarding calls from themselves.

In a way these silent calls were a blessing in disguise because, guess what else I learned?..........
When I spoke to the CS girl about these silent NTL calls and menioned the fact that the only recent contact I'd had was that I'd cancelled the cable TV (30 days notice), she informed me that ALL my services (tv, phone, BB internet) were actually flagged for disconnection at the end of January. WTF!?. :Yikes:
Yup, all those nightmare stories I had read on this forum of wong cancellations and incorrect billing etc was almost about to happen to me at the end of the month. Noooooooooooooooooo!

When I had originally called them last week to cancel the cable TV, I had all these bad NTHELL forum stories in my mind as I reiterated the fact that I wanted to cancel TV ONLY. I even made the person repeat it back to me so that they understood clearly because I did not want to go through the mess that some people here have been through.
So WHY oh WHY do I find out (only by chance) that they were actually going to cancel ALL my services? Sure beats me.
I reckon the retentions guy who I was put through to last week to have last go at me was taking the pee and flagged all services to be cancelled out of spite. Maybe I shouldn't have said, when offered free family-pack TV for 6 months, "free rubbish is still rubbish" and they are useless because loads of people have reported that they still get re-billed during the free offer and have to keep calling CS about it. So if it wasn't malicious then only other reason is gross incompetance.

Anyone got the directors email address? I rather fancy making a complaint about these unresolved silent calls and the almost fecked-up cancellation to one of the big knobs.

Doofy
03-01-2007, 18:31
Sorry to hijack but if someone does have the directors email can they let it be known, i have a few issues i would like to discuss with him myself

KaySquirrel
05-02-2008, 15:01
We've had 5 phone calls of dead air in the past 2 days from 08000135333

It seems that the auto-dialer Virgin Media uses is still faulty, given that this thread is over a year old. You'd think they'd have sorted it out by now.

We've recently requested, and received confirmation in writing of, cancellation of all our VM services, so I assume the dead air calls are related to that.

Not a way to win us back, I'm afraid.

Akia
05-02-2008, 22:46
Its not faulty, and its happens quite a lot not just with Virgin Media and auto dialers, So much so that Ofcom has rules regarding this. http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/telecoms/silentfaqs/

Basically the system may ring 100 people at a time, with 20 staff waiting to take the call. obviously your not going to get the full 100 people answer, but if 21 people do answer, if your number 21 your going to get a silent call. Obviously I've just made the above figuers up, but the companys will have some sort of stastics that they use, and most of the time it shouldn't be a problem but you can never get it spot on all the time.

Reading the link above the calls shouldn't be silent and should have a recorded message.

KaySquirrel
06-02-2008, 00:08
Well, now it makes 7 silent calls in the past 2 days:

4 Feb @ 11:40, 18:23, 18:24
5 Feb @ 11:32, 11:33, 16:27, 16:29

A recorded message, while still irritating, would be better than dead air!

If they want us to reconsider our cancellation request, they need to do more than make nuisance calls. I'm talking like a standing in the pouring rain outside my window holding a radio over their head playing a mix tape they made to remind me of all the good times we've had together kind of gesture! C'mon now! ;)

Saycheese2
21-02-2008, 17:29
These ********* have been harassing me for the past week with about 10 silent calls a day.I'm sure they are doing it to people who cancel as a spiteful way of punishing us and it's got to the stage where we are going to have to pay bt £3 a month to block this number but i bet the ****s use another number then.

KaySquirrel
22-02-2008, 11:11
I'm sure they are doing it to people who cancel as a spiteful way of punishing us

You might have to wait until one of the calls is actually a human, and then ask them to stop calling you. Of course, be prepared to have to ask more than once. :rolleyes:

By cancelling all our VM services, we got on their 'Beg These People to Stay With Us' list, too. The calls have been better than drunken hysterical phone calls in the middle of the night from someone you don't care about anymore, but only just. ;)

They called us 29 times (27 of those calls were nothing but dead air!) over the course of 14 days.

Feb 4 at 11:40, 18:23, 18:24
Feb 5 at 11:32, 11:33, 16:27, 16:29
Feb 6 at 11:30, 16:31, 16:33
Feb 7 at 11:28, 11:27, 17:05
Feb 8 at 9:22, 13:48
Feb 11 at 13:31
Feb 12 at 11:28, 11:29, 16:30 -- for this last call, Hubby answered it, and waited a good 2 min of dead air before someone came on the line. He told them that we are not moving to a Virgin Media services area, and to stop calling here. Since his name is on the account, you would think that they would honour his request, right? Not a chance.
Feb 13 at 11:14, 15:43, 15:45
Feb 14 at 11:19, 16:00 -- not even so much as a 'Happy Valentine's Day!' :mad:
Feb 15 at 10:44, 14:22, 14:23
Feb 18 at 11:15, 16:18 -- on this last call, someone was actually at the end of the line when I answered, instead of the usual dead air. Hubby was home, and told them ONCE AGAIN that we are not moving to a Virgin Media serviced area. He requested ONCE AGAIN that they stop ringing us.

They've finally stopped. All our VM services are being cancelled 29 Feb (Yaaaaay!) so even if they do start calling again, we won't have to put up with it for much longer. :)

Sinate
02-03-2009, 21:23
I got a call today from this number and I take all 4 services!

I'm now badgering the Support guys on the Newsgroups about this practice and hopefully get it stopped.

Hiroki
06-11-2009, 14:17
Sorry to bump this thread but I just got a call from this number and couldn't make out what the person was saying or why the details they had for my services was wrong.....which made me a bit uneasy.

I searched on the internet and found this topic and eventually called Virgin where they confirmed it was an annoying sales call. :mad:

Anyone know how to stop these calls?

Mick Fisher
06-11-2009, 15:01
I had a lot of these after I cancelled my VM TV service, every one was silent.

After a short while they stop. I guess their is a limit to the number of addresses their auto dialler can store and with the sort of churn VM experience the auto dialler can't keep up. :D

Sinate
06-11-2009, 15:03
You can ring Virgin and request that your name be taken off of their sales call list.

Haven't had one since.

Steve.

Hiroki
07-11-2009, 01:07
Thanks Steve I will try that :)