PDA

View Full Version : high pitch noise

nho1993
29-12-2006, 02:35
Hi

I have the latest amstrad sky box in my room, we have a multiroom subscription. the box in my room is making liek a small high potch noise doesnt stop, and it really annoys me because its hard going to sleep with a small high pitch noise constantly on, i can swiych the box off because its multiroom and needs to be connected to the phone line and switche do nthe whole time, any suggestions what i can do and what si this noise i hear???

Thanks

RealDiamond
29-12-2006, 16:18
Sounds are caused by vibration.
if the box makes the noise even in stand by mode, then there has to be a moving solid state component , Its a fault, there should be a mains hum of 50hz from the power supply but thats it and some poeple can't even here that. no AV units should make any sound on standby mode.

(if it wasnt for the light on the SAT boxes you wont know they were even plugged in)

TheNorm
29-12-2006, 16:24
I sometimes hear a high-pitched noise in the living room. It stops when I hand the remote control to my wife...

;)

Hugh
29-12-2006, 16:27
I sometimes hear a high-pitched noise in the living room. It stops when I hand the remote control to my wife...

;)

We must have the same model - the exact same thing happens at my house. :D

nho1993
29-12-2006, 18:15
Sounds are caused by vibration.
if the box makes the noise even in stand by mode, then there has to be a moving solid state component , Its a fault, there should be a mains hum of 50hz from the power supply but thats it and some poeple can't even here that. no AV units should make any sound on standby mode.

(if it wasnt for the light on the SAT boxes you wont know they were even plugged in)

i was also thinking a fault becaue the blue sky light thats suppose to be glowing hte whole time never works but hte small red button when its on standby does work, and it makes the noise even on standby.

jaycee
08-01-2007, 01:23
The noise you are hearing comes from the power supply. Some cheaply made transformers used in high frequency switched mode supplies are not impregnated with polyurethane, so what you hear is the windings of the transformer vibrating at whatever the power supplies frequency is (probably 20KHz)

Jimlad59
09-01-2007, 17:40
I get that noise I was told by Sky tech support that it was the cooling fan thats why it stops when you put the box on stand by

jaycee
09-01-2007, 19:48
I wouldve said fan too, except he says the noise happens on standby as well. It'll be the power supply.

Jimlad59
09-01-2007, 19:59
missed that about standby as well so I agree with you
jimlad59