PDA

View Full Version : Lobster 575 USB Data Cables

TheOne
22-12-2006, 20:04
Hi

Like some of you on here, i was frustrated with the fact that the data cables for the phones were virtually non-existent or didnt work.

After a month of hard searching online and local phone shops, i sent an email to Virgin in a very strong but polite manner :angel:, stating my frustration etc etc

They have kindly agreed to send me a data cable for free via 1st class royal mail within the next 7 days.

Maybe you guys should drop them an email and see where you get
P.S has anyone else received a Lobster 575 data cable off Virgin yet? Do they work? lol

Hope that helps
TheOne

AndyCambs
23-12-2006, 08:48
To be honest, I found the Lobster 575 a very basic phone - after all, with a phone tariff of only £10 per month for 300+300, you can't expect a top of the range phone. Compared to the Sony Ericsson T610 which I was using on Orange - there's no bluetooth, no IR, and the battery life is not as good - it also has the "cheap quality" feel about it.
I had my Orange phone unlocked, and only used the Lobster in the short time between getting the Virgin account, and having the Orange phone unlocked, and number ported.
You can buy another phone - my understanding that it would be the PAYG costs on the website, which is fair enough.

My advice, if you have another phone, or someone else has another phone they are not using, then you might be better off with that and getting it unlocked.

TheOne
23-12-2006, 10:50
To be honest, I found the Lobster 575 a very basic phone - after all, with a phone tariff of only £10 per month for 300+300, you can't expect a top of the range phone. Compared to the Sony Ericsson T610 which I was using on Orange - there's no bluetooth, no IR, and the battery life is not as good - it also has the "cheap quality" feel about it.
I had my Orange phone unlocked, and only used the Lobster in the short time between getting the Virgin account, and having the Orange phone unlocked, and number ported.
You can buy another phone - my understanding that it would be the PAYG costs on the website, which is fair enough.

My advice, if you have another phone, or someone else has another phone they are not using, then you might be better off with that and getting it unlocked.

yeah, thats the problem people in my family are abit slow on taking up new technology !!! so their phones are not very good. so i'm kinda stuck with the Lobster 575 so i thought i might as well try and get a data cable for it and make the most out of it

TheDaddy
23-12-2006, 21:11

I use a Tmobil phone with Virgin, it didn't need to be unlocked ;)

AndyCambs
25-12-2006, 00:40
I use a Tmobil phone with Virgin, it didn't need to be unlocked ;)
Probably cos Virgin piggybacks off the T-Mobile network..........:)

TheOne
26-12-2006, 19:30
Still waiting for my data cable to arrive, but most likely its due to the xmas backlog, so i'm sitting and waiting patiently

TheOne
27-12-2006, 12:56
Still waiting for my data cable to arrive, but most likely its due to the xmas backlog, so i'm sitting and waiting patiently

got an email off Virgin this morning, saying the data cable is out of stock and that i'll get another email once its back in stock and will take 3 days from then to deliver

cant really complain :D

nobbyc42
29-12-2006, 11:53
merry christmas all, talking of xmas i got virgin lobster 575 mobile for xmas ,my question is this where do i get the data cable and how do i use it once i have it to download music ringtones ete from my pc,also what software do i need if any using xp thanks you

zing_deleted
29-12-2006, 11:57
:welcome: this thread and there is another one somewhere that actually makes it sound like there rocking horse poop.

TheOne
29-12-2006, 19:37
Send virgin an email on the addres.. theteam (at) virginmobile.com or call 789 off your mobile and tell them you'd like a data cable.

I sent them a nice strong email and there kindly sending me one for free, so when i get it, i'll give it a test drive and report back on here

zing_deleted
29-12-2006, 19:40
When ;)

TheOne
29-12-2006, 19:58
When ;)

when what? When did i email them ? ...last week

Druchii
30-12-2006, 01:22
Nah, when you actually get it, if you get it ;)

TheOne
30-12-2006, 16:39
Nah, when you actually get it, if you get it ;)

yeah i guess so, but its just a matter of waiting now and seeing what turns up ...if anything at all

NickTheFox
30-12-2006, 18:49
Just to let you know, I have received the data cable for my Lobster 575 from Virgin, unlike the one I got from Poland AND the cable I got from e-bay, the Virgin cable works fine.In the letter that arrived with the cable it said that I should have a CD also, but the cable is actually plug and play.Connect first to your phone and then PC, in MY COMPUTER it comes as an extra hard drive, you can now drag and drop MP3's into the audio file and use them as ringtones. I hope this helps....

TheOne
30-12-2006, 18:59
Just to let you know, I have received the data cable for my Lobster 575 from Virgin, unlike the one I got from Poland AND the cable I got from e-bay, the Virgin cable works fine.In the letter that arrived with the cable it said that I should have a CD also, but the cable is actually plug and play.Connect first to your phone and then PC, in MY COMPUTER it comes as an extra hard drive, you can now drag and drop MP3's into the audio file and use them as ringtones. I hope this helps....

Finally a success story, thanks for replying to this thread :D

What ringtone/music formats can the phone play other than .mp3?

How long did it take you to receive your data cable?

nobbyc42
05-01-2007, 12:56
im just waiting on my cable to arrive i had an email from virgin and the company that make them told me 4 to 5 days maybe longer with post and holidays will let you know what happens

NickTheFox
06-01-2007, 12:23
As far as I'm aware it's only MP3 tones, but they are THE real thing, i.e they sound just like the track you've downloaded, it took about 8 days for the cable, to be honest with you Virgin have been pretty good, bearing in mind that they give you the cable for free and they don't even make the phone or any accsessories for the Lobster 575. My pals wanted me to transfer the ringtones via bluetooth, but of cause this phone is not bluetooth.

nobbyc42
06-01-2007, 19:38
guess what ?
got email today the cable is out of stock (oh nooooooooooo)i heard myself cry then words like typical bad luck or is get mike day today went round in my head ,but all is not lost as soon as it comes in ill have it within 3 days (yeah right )
getting disaloussioned :td: with virgin now

typical:(

dazzamcgocks
07-01-2007, 18:28
I've been reading your threads about the USB data cable for the Lobster 575 and subsequently contacted virgin. They informed me that they do not supply the cable and they gave me two websites which were of no use at all!!!!! WWW.FLATBATT.COM and WWW.BELLWAVE.COM

How cums then they sent you guys a cable ? I would appreciate it very much guys if you could help me on this guys as I am very frustrated with Virgin!!!!:Yikes: :confused: :confused:

TheOne
07-01-2007, 19:07
I've been reading your threads about the USB data cable for the Lobster 575 and subsequently contacted virgin. They informed me that they do not supply the cable and they gave me two websites which were of no use at all!!!!! WWW.FLATBATT.COM and WWW.BELLWAVE.COM

How cums then they sent you guys a cable ? I would appreciate it very much guys if you could help me on this guys as I am very frustrated with Virgin!!!!:Yikes: :confused: :confused:

i've just PM'd you back

guess what ?
got email today the cable is out of stock (oh nooooooooooo)i heard myself cry then words like typical bad luck or is get mike day today went round in my head ,but all is not lost as soon as it comes in ill have it within 3 days (yeah right )
getting disaloussioned with virgin now

typical

yep, i got an email like that over a week ago, its been about 2 weeks in total now and still waiting....patiently .lol

we'll get them out of Virgin some way or another !!!!!

nobbyc42
07-01-2007, 20:27
i hope so dude i really do phone full of pics of the family have tones on pc raedy and waiting,
dazz just register on line with virgin the send them and email they even gace me £2.00 credit for registring on line it works dudes

NickTheFox
12-01-2007, 17:57
How did I get a cable? well first I have a direct debit with Virgin, the deal is this 300txts and 300mins talk time per month for £10. This was offered to me by Virgin for being with NTL and having Broadband, landline and NTL tv package. I did send them a strongly worded e-mail to the effect that I thought their treatment of non support for customers was awful, this in turn jump started them to send me a cable etc. My advice is to persist with e-mails, phone calls until you get satisfaction, I did threaten to go to the media, which may have helped my cause. I think the biggest culprits are the people selling leads that fit and look the part, but DO NOT work, take my advice and barrage Virgin for the cable that works.

luckybleeder
12-01-2007, 19:00
I actually bought this phone from Virgin and i was disgusted that they couldn't supply me with the data cable. The cheeky buggers suggested an online store (m99) but they no longer stock them because of the high return rate :(

Mailed the "team" today pointing out this thread and i was promised one within 7 -10 working days along with a Froogle link to a company that don't stock 575 cables!

Why is it that everything ntl touch turns to crap :(

raefil
13-01-2007, 01:40
any chance of an email addy pls to get the bloomin thing

luckybleeder
13-01-2007, 12:25
Here you go raefil and good luck!

theteam@virginmobile.com

TheOne
13-01-2007, 16:37
i applied for the data cable around xmas, since then they've sent me 2 emails saying there's delays and that the demand has outstripped supply basically and that as soon as there in stock again they'll get one sent to me within 3 days. so still waiting really

luckybleeder
13-01-2007, 21:25
Like i said previously i didn't get my phone for free with an ntl deal i actually paid for it (£70 i think). So i've been waiting since October 06 for the fabled data cable :(

Just had a look on ebay and rocking horse poop springs to mind :(

TheOne
13-01-2007, 23:45
Like i said previously i didn't get my phone for free with an ntl deal i actually paid for it (£70 i think). So i've been waiting since October 06 for the fabled data cable :(

Just had a look on ebay and rocking horse poop springs to mind :(

OMG :Yikes: since October ? thats ridiculous and you even paid for yours thats awful. You should really get onto Virgins back !!!

luckybleeder
14-01-2007, 00:26
Now lets have no talk about me getting on Virgins back. I'm a married man :D

nobbyc42
14-01-2007, 22:11
so am i

nobbyc42
21-01-2007, 21:54
still waiting talk about pain in the ear piece

TheOne
31-01-2007, 17:25
got an email off Virgin today saying mine has been despatched and should receive the data cable within 3 working days....... 1 step closer now !!!!

TheOne
01-02-2007, 12:10
Wohooo !!!! i received the USB data cable this morning, just tested it out and works just fine, very happy with Virgin mobile and definetly worth the wait.

Druchii
01-02-2007, 12:24
Wohooo !!!! i received the USB data cable this morning, just tested it out and works just fine, very happy with Virgin mobile and definetly worth the wait.
Nice one! I was doubting they'd ever really work.

TheOne
01-02-2007, 18:24
All that came in the parcel was a cable and nothing else, because its plug n play ....thats how simple it is !!! very impressed

nobbyc42
01-02-2007, 19:16
hi pepes
guess what? i just got an email from virgin my cable is on the way 3 working days yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss god that was good
nobby c

TheOne
01-02-2007, 19:20
yeah, seems like Virgin got the company to mass produce the cables ASAP .lol and now there sending them out.

With the phones memory (64Mb) not being expandable i've resorted to some mp3 compression software and now i'm able to cram loads more mp3's onto my phone

TheOne
01-02-2007, 23:22
forgot to mention this earlier, but when i connected my phone to the PC via the new data cable, i went into the folders on the phone and my antivirus software picked up 2 trojans from my phone 1 in Audio and 1 Video, namely audio.exe and video.exe. But was quickly prompted by AVG and healed/deleted it straight away

Anyone else experienced this? found it very bizarre

Lucifers' Angel
02-02-2007, 00:56
I'm glad I found this! I emailed Virgin on the 30th about a cable after I'd seen this thread. I got a reply on the 31st saying they've given my details to the relevant team and that I'll get a cable delivered in 5-7 days. I can't wait!!

They were also very helpful today when I spoke to them about the rubbish life of the battery and they're sending me a new one :D

nobbyc42
02-02-2007, 13:48
hi pepes,
guess what those nice folks down at virgin sent me my cable yeah yeah so now i need to try it out hope it works ,by the by the one what software u use for compression for music?also avg is the best anti virus i know been using for about 9 years now it always comes out on top of polls,and the best thing about it its free
thanks
nobbyc

NickTheFox
03-02-2007, 08:49
If you are using Windows XP there is a built in compression tool for MP3's, right click on any MP3 and you get an option of "Convert Audio File", I think it's the 4th in the list, you can now reduce the file and save it seperatly so as to retain the original......Hope this helps, told you to persist with Virgin!

craggy
03-02-2007, 11:05
Hi

Finally got the USB cable. I can copy mp3 files onto the lobster in the Audio directory but cant seem to set them as my ringtone. I go through the whole process and it appears to be saving. however, when i get a call it is still the crappy ringtone which comes with the phone.

Any suggestions?

Craig

TheOne
03-02-2007, 11:57
If you are using Windows XP there is a built in compression tool for MP3's, right click on any MP3 and you get an option of "Convert Audio File", I think it's the 4th in the list, you can now reduce the file and save it seperatly so as to retain the original......Hope this helps, told you to persist with Virgin!

Ive got Windows XP Home Edition and have Windows Media Player 11 and when i right click on any MP3 (in My Documents) i dont get any option in the list saying "Convert Audio File"
:dozey:

Hi

Finally got the USB cable. I can copy mp3 files onto the lobster in the Audio directory but cant seem to set them as my ringtone. I go through the whole process and it appears to be saving. however, when i get a call it is still the crappy ringtone which comes with the phone.

Any suggestions?

Craig

1. Once you have transfered the MP3's into the Audio folder and disconnected the cable etc.
2. Make sure your phone is out of the silent mode.
3. In the phones menu go to "3.Profile"
4. Select the "Outdoor" option or whichever you prefer from the list and then go down to "Personalise"
5. From the list select "Ringtone" and then select "Download"
6. Select the "Audio" folder and then just choose whichever MP3 you want and then just save it as a ringtone by pressing the top left button

hope that helps

marmaladejane
04-02-2007, 18:29
I am having problems, I have dragged and dropped required files to audio file on the phone, when I check with windows messenger it says they are there, but when i try to use them as a ring tone, the audio folder on the phone says it is an empty file. Why can't I access them? Help, please!!

craggy
04-02-2007, 20:04
Ive got Windows XP Home Edition and have Windows Media Player 11 and when i right click on any MP3 (in My Documents) i dont get any option in the list saying "Convert Audio File"
:dozey:

1. Once you have transfered the MP3's into the Audio folder and disconnected the cable etc.
2. Make sure your phone is out of the silent mode.
3. In the phones menu go to "3.Profile"
4. Select the "Outdoor" option or whichever you prefer from the list and then go down to "Personalise"
5. From the list select "Ringtone" and then select "Download"
6. Select the "Audio" folder and then just choose whichever MP3 you want and then just save it as a ringtone by pressing the top left button

hope that helps

Got it working now, it appears I was using the wrong profile

Thanks for the help

Craig

TheOne
04-02-2007, 23:31
I am having problems, I have dragged and dropped required files to audio file on the phone, when I check with windows messenger it says they are there, but when i try to use them as a ring tone, the audio folder on the phone says it is an empty file. Why can't I access them? Help, please!!

Take a look at this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34212175&postcount=44

Report back if you still cant do it

Good Luck

marmaladejane
05-02-2007, 00:20
Take a look at this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34212175&postcount=44

Report back if you still cant do it

Good Luck
Already tried that but still cant get any results still saying empty file even though when I look in windows explorer it say the files are in my phone. Have even looked under mp3 player - all files say empty file.

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Already tried that but still cant get any results still saying empty file even though when I look in windows explorer it say the files are in my phone. Have even looked under mp3 player - all files say empty file.
just thought is it because they are wma files and if so how do I cure the problem?

TheOne
05-02-2007, 18:32

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

just thought is it because they are wma files and if so how do I cure the problem?

ahhh !!! the phone will only play mp3 files, so you will have to convert them from wma to mp3 using conversion software.

P.S i have PM'd you some software that is quite good and is free

Thanks

marmaladejane
05-02-2007, 22:52
Many thanks have now sorted problem though someone suggested switch as soft ware which I found easier to follow. Thanks again

Lucifers' Angel
06-02-2007, 11:56
I'm on also xp and don't get that convert audio file option either.

I got my new battery and my cable this morning and the cable works brilliantly. I'm so happy! :D

NickTheFox
06-02-2007, 20:17
Find a screen snap of where "Audio Convert Format" appears, should be attached...........NickThefox

Lucifers' Angel
06-02-2007, 23:35
I wonder why it doesn't show on my xp :confused:

luckybleeder
16-02-2007, 01:38
No joy for me i'm afraid! First they promised a data cable within 7 - 10 days with no joy but a froogle link to a site that doesn't sell them (?), then an apology sent on the 5th of this Month that they had new stocks and i will recieve one within 7 days. You can all guess the outcome ;)

Why lie to me? If they can't source the cables for a phone that they sold me months ago then i can only assume they are incapable of running a business and i would advise any other potential virgin mobile/media customers to stear well clear.

Haffalump1
24-02-2007, 19:02
Well ive been searching for a cable for months and have just found this site! Just sent an email to virgin so...well...fingers crossed :p:

TheOne
25-02-2007, 01:27
Well ive been searching for a cable for months and have just found this site! Just sent an email to virgin so...well...fingers crossed :p:

good luck, i was in the same situation as you until i came across the thread on here, emailed Virgin and ended up getting it around 6 weeks later...for free, works just like a plug and play device, no need for any software or anything :D

funkysheep911
19-04-2007, 18:49
Hi, I got a virgin lobster 575 for christmas and i hav been tryin 2 get a cable 4 bout 4 months now!!! I rang up vorginmobile bout 1 month ago & they told me to go to a virgin mobile store or the store i got the phone from, and see if they have any in stock which they, of course didn't!!! pez help me im getin desperate!!!:help::bigcry:

TheOne
20-04-2007, 16:18
sorry to hear about that.

Ring up Virgin Mobile and just be really firm with them and tell them all the hassle and messing about you've been put through by them already and demand one!!!

Having said that, i managed to get one after a couple of emails. But i think a firm phone call should do the trick

Good luck

luckybleeder
01-05-2007, 15:08
Sick and tired of beeing peed about so i sent this ..

OK! Now i'm fairly peed off!!

Initial request for a cable 31/10/06 over six months ago.

01/11/06 Nathan Pitcher - Tracking #A00000580354-00003961219
Nathan sends me a link to www.m-99.co.uk suggesting they stock my lobster 575 data. They don't! They pulled the product due to high customer returns.

10/11/06 Chris Hodges - Tracking #A00000580354-00004018574
Told Chris that without a cable the MP3 and 1.3 MP camera was useless without a data cable and asked if i can return it for a refund. Good news, i can if bought within 28 days! Unfortunately for me i bought before that period expired so that wasn't much help.

03/02/07 Victoria Cooper - Tracking #A00000580354-00004526905
Good news :) They have received new stock of the cables so i will get one within the next 7 days! Nice one, now maybe i can use my MP3 phone and get the pictures i've taken with it onto my PC.

16/02/07 Tony Davies - Tracking #A00000580354-00004608256
Seven days had long passed and still no cable :( Tony tells me they did have cables but i didn't get sent one!! Awaiting new supplies.

27/02/07 Mark Elliot - Tracking #A00000580354-00004681852
Now i'm getting somewhere :) Mark promises a cable will be sent out within the next 7 days. Hang on, Victoria said that 2 weeks ago didn't she? My hope is raised when Virgin Mobile call me that night to confirm :)

23/03/07 Daizi Reynolds - Tracking #A00000580354-00004834985
Daizi now tells me that they have no stock of the cable but promised i would get one within the next four weeks. Daizi wrote that she'd understand if i switched networks. Nice of her i suppose?

TODAY
Still no cable, no call, no email or any sign of the above mentioned actually doing anything to help at all. For six months i have received nothing but lies from your Mobile Choice award winning customer service department.

My family own four mobiles phones all locked to Virgin Mobile. I am so upset by your lack of help that I feel I must ask for unlock codes so that i may switch our network provider.

Is there a secure email address where i can send the IME codes?

Thank you.

TheOne
21-01-2008, 11:46
The data cables are worth more than the actual phone on eBay !!!

dannyk125
14-06-2008, 23:04
Well I've been looking for a data cable since 2005. It's been tough, 10 angry emails to Virgin later... They still say the cables are not in stock. In July in 2007 was my last phone call to Virgin. Had a fit when they said ALL things to do with the Lobster 575 including the phone, headset, data cable have been discontinued because BellWave have stopped making the phone! So up to this day the only way I could put music onto my beloved Lobster 575 is with a no genuine, but working data cable I got off ebay. My winning bid was £11.01. Delivery was £1.50. Total cost for this non genuine cable was £12.51. Now I there is anyone who is still looking for a Lobster 575 data cable, the only place you'll probably find one these days is Ebay, the phone and cable are so rare.
The only cables that seem to work are the grey coloured ones, they have built in device drivers, as you can see if you have taken the cable apart. The black cables DO NOT WORK. Anyhow, very dissapointedd by Virgin. Trying to find subsidy password so I can go to a different network.