PDA

View Full Version : Saving money on Telewest

m_stephens
15-12-2006, 19:22
I'm looking at cutting back my contribution towards the NTl-Telewest-Virgin directors Christmas party.

I currently spend £53.50 a month on Supreme TV (£17.50), Broadband Complete (which I'm sure I never asked to be upgraded from whatever it was) (£25.00) and line rental for a phone I rarely use (£11.00 for Talk Weekend).

I am sure I can manage with Essential TV ( £11.50), think I can probably get by with Broadband (InComplete presumably) (£17.99) and don't actually need a phone line at all.

I was planning to make do with my Virgin PAYG mobile (purely coincidental and pre-dating the latest merger) and have just set up a Tesco Internet Phone account which undercuts TW by 1p/min for calls to landline numbers and saves anyone who wants to phone me from a landline having to pay extortionate rates to phone my mobile ( oh and free calls to other Tesco internet numbers, free caller ID and an Voicemail service which you don't have to fork out for just to change the number of rings before it cuts in)

According to the Telewest site you need to take the phone service to get TV.
Is this just for new customers or does it mean that they won't let anyone subscribe to Telewest TV without paying their line rental? If so, I suppose I would have to resort to Freeview as Sky also insist on a working landline (presumably just so that the box can report back on the dodgy cards) and TopUpTV has very little to offer.

The broadband web page makes no mention of having to have a Telewest phone line so presumably you can have just broadband on its own.

So in summary:

I have: TW Broadband, TW TV and TW phone line

I only want: TW Broadband and TW TV

Is this possible ?

Druchii
15-12-2006, 19:26
It is most definitely possible, and that may well fall under the 2 for £20 offer.

http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=10815

m_stephens
15-12-2006, 19:38
How bizarre. It rather seems to contradict :

"To start enjoying the Essential package you will need to switch to a Telewest phone service. Our Talk Weekends phone package costs just £11.00 a month, including line rental and unlimited local and national weekend calls (Mobile, international, internet and non-geographic calls (like 0845 and 0870) and premium rate numbers are not included. These are charged at our standard rates.) Alternatively you can choose either our Talk Evenings & Weekends Talk Unlimited packages."

on

https://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=20

and similar statements dotted all over the website

If I have a spare few hours to spend listening to assorted music I'll give Customer Services a ring and ask.

Druchii
15-12-2006, 19:42
How bizarre. It rather seems to contradict :

"To start enjoying the Essential package you will need to switch to a Telewest phone service. Our Talk Weekends phone package costs just £11.00 a month, including line rental and unlimited local and national weekend calls (Mobile, international, internet and non-geographic calls (like 0845 and 0870) and premium rate numbers are not included. These are charged at our standard rates.) Alternatively you can choose either our Talk Evenings & Weekends Talk Unlimited packages."

on

https://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=20

and similar statements dotted all over the website

If I have a spare few hours to spend listening to assorted music I'll give Customer Services a ring and ask.
Don't forget to use 150, as it's free :)

JG3870
15-12-2006, 21:52
So in summary:

I have: TW Broadband, TW TV and TW phone line

I only want: TW Broadband and TW TV

Is this possible ?

I had TW Broadband Complete & TW Phone Talk Evenings & Weekends

I wanted to cancel the phone and take out the TV Supreme Package

They let me do this without any problems.

So i now have Broadband & TV only