PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo recall 3.2m wrist straps

NEONKNIGHT
15-12-2006, 08:11
News from the BBC :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6182013.stm

Japanese games firm Nintendo is recalling more than three million straps for its new Wii console.
The announcement follows scores of complaints about the wrist straps breaking during use.

The strap is connected to a motion sensitive controller which is used to control the on-screen action.

There have been many reports of Wii controllers slipping out of hands and smashing TVs and windows - although some of the photos online are faked.

No information was immediately available about how customers can return their Wii straps.

deathtrap3000
15-12-2006, 19:35
I nearly laughed myself to death when i herd the news. I find it hard to believe that nintendo underestimated the ability of the consumer to go crazy with some products.

Gareth
16-12-2006, 11:58
I think it's more a case of Nintendo underestimating the idiocy of some people.

the strap broke and the controller shot off and hit my partner in the face resulting in two broken teeth. She slipped at the same time falling into the TV set and smashing the screen. The TV was plugged into the surround sound system and consequently pulled it over and smashing into my CD and DVD collection. I advise anyone to be careful of the wii.
Jenny Howard, Beijing ChinaI'm sorry but this can't be for real!

Sounds to me, in most of these cases, that the people are simply doing an insurance scam.

Derek
16-12-2006, 13:36
Some info about getting replacements.

Phone: 0870 6060247 (National Rate)
Email: wiiwriststrap@codestorm.co.uk
Address: Wii Wrist Strap, Nintendo Service Centre, CoDEStorm House, Walton Road, Farlington, PO6 1TR

Wii owners outside the UK should visit the Nintendo website for country specific information

punky
16-12-2006, 14:21
I think it's more a case of Nintendo underestimating the idiocy of some people.

I'm sorry but this can't be for real!

Sounds to me, in most of these cases, that the people are simply doing an insurance scam.

Yeah... How can her slipping be the fault of Nintendo and a faulty strap?

Nikesh
16-12-2006, 14:44
Yeah... How can her slipping be the fault of Nintendo and a faulty strap?

Totally agree, some people are just too stupid.

Gareth
18-12-2006, 01:10
Just for info...

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/news_151206_wrist.html

Wrist strap recall rumours are false

Nintendo has denied BBC reports of a Wii wrist strap recall. While Nintendo refuted claims that 3 million straps had been recalled it will be providing replacement wrist straps free of charge for anyone who has broken theirs.

Nintendo released a statement this morning, saying: "This is not a recall - it's a voluntary exchange programme. There is no problem with the wrist strap as long as the Wii Remote is used sensibly and properly in accordance with the guidelines provided by Nintendo. However, we will be providing replacement wrist straps free of charge to consumers who request them."

"Consumers who break their wrist straps and consumers who are worried about their wrist strap should contact their nearest Nintendo Service Centre on 0870 6060247."

Gareth
18-12-2006, 18:03
Further to my previous post, here's an online form where you can request up to 4 replacement straps...

http://wii.nintendo.co.uk/6315.html

You'll need the serial number from the base of the console to proceed with the request.

Gonna order 4 even though our console is wrapped up ready to go under the tree.