PDA

View Full Version : moving sky box?

adsouthwales
11-12-2006, 18:55
Just wondering whether anyone can help?
I've got my sky box in one corner of the room and my wife wants to move it to the other side. But, the cables not long enough.
I went out on saturday and bought some co-ax and connectors, plugged it all together and switched the box on. All i got was the no satelitte signal being recieved message. When i disconnected the co-ax i'd bought it worked fine so i tried another bit of co-ax that has been lying round in the shed and i got the no signal message again.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

dilli-theclaw
11-12-2006, 18:57
Maybe the coax you bought wasn't up to it? Or there's a short somewhere.

I seem to recall when I moved my sky box I bought an extension cable from homebase...

Welcome to the site btw :)

Graham M
11-12-2006, 19:49
Did you buy Satellite grade Coax?

altis
11-12-2006, 20:35
One has to wonder how someone with a problem with their satellite kit ends up on a cable forum :shrug:

adsouthwales
11-12-2006, 22:06
Thanks for the quick replies.

It was satellite grade co-ax or so it said, bought from b&q. Although there was more than one. I went for the middle priced one.

And maybe i ended up on a cable forum because its Other Digital TV Services Discussion?

Graham M
11-12-2006, 22:28
One has to wonder how someone with a problem with their satellite kit ends up on a cable forum :shrug:

And your problem with that is...?

Paul K
11-12-2006, 22:33
How much more cable did you add? Also did you check your terminations were done properly? What is your signal strength without the extension added? (It's in one of the screens somewhere but I can't remember which one lol)

Nedkelly
12-12-2006, 00:10
Hi make sure that the braiding is not touching the copper core this would cause a short :tu:

adsouthwales
12-12-2006, 17:49
I added about three metres of extra cable. My signal strength is never over about halfway, but the fitters said it was fine when it was installed and i haven't had any problems with losing channels except in bad weather.

I'll check that the braiding is not touching and have another go later.

Thanks for all your help.

Jules
12-12-2006, 17:51
I hope you get it sorted and no matter how you ended up here you are still welcome :wavey:

Creative
12-12-2006, 19:15
Hi make sure that the braiding is not touching the copper core this would cause a short :tu:
That would blow one of the internal fuses. I know from experience. The LNB is powered by the STB (18 or 13V depending upon polarity of signal). His box still works with his original feed so I doubt its a short. More likely the run is now too long, and not enough signal is getting through.

jaycee
08-01-2007, 01:42
If your meter showed barely half and now you have added 3 metres worth of cable, it is too long. You will have to have a SKY engineer do this for you, if it is possible.

rocket-ronnie
08-01-2007, 02:45
I hope you get it sorted and no matter how you ended up here you are still welcome :wavey:

thats right but comment like this

makes him feel not welcome

Jimlad59
09-01-2007, 17:35
Since some of the guys don't want to make you feel welcome why not try here.
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/index.php

rocket-ronnie
10-01-2007, 18:59
i want him to feel welcome