PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling broadband - returning the modem?

pmd
07-12-2006, 17:20
I will be moving out of my flat in mid February next year. I would like to keep my broadband service until the last moment, ideally having the service stopped shortly after I move.

I have an ntl:100 modem (I think), which I've had for maybe 4 years. I don't think I paid for it, I think it was 'free' with the broadband connection.

Do I have to return the modem to ntl - or rather - do I have to sit around and wait for someone to collect it? This will obviously be difficult or impossible to do after I've left the flat!

I know that the set-top-box for the Digital TV is owned by ntl, I'll get that cancelled a week or so before I go, but I'm unsure about the cable modem.

Any tips/timeframes for cancelling ntl services other than giving them one months written notice?

Thanks.

danielf
07-12-2006, 17:24
Officially, the modem is NTL's property, and you have to return it to them. They do not normally collect modems though (they're not very expensive). When I cancelled NTL they picked up the Set Top Box and told me to bin the modem. Just give your 30 days notice and ask them what to do with the modem. Chances are they will tell you to bin it.

Mechanicus
07-12-2006, 17:26
When I left broadband - over 3 years ago - I recieved a letter saying they wanted the modem back. We reciprocated, saying that if they send us a jiffy bag, and pay for postage, we will be happy to. They never responded.

Most of the time, it's cheaper for them to write it off as a loss rather than pay the wages+fuel costs for someone to come out and collect it. My cousin has a digital TV box at his house which they were never asked to return (they switched to Sky).

SnoopZ
07-12-2006, 17:50
I don't think they'd want an NTL:100 modem back, it's unlikely they would collect it. Just don't try and sell it on eBay. :)