PDA

View Full Version : NTL 250 MAC address

nytram74
06-12-2006, 17:38
Hi,

Sorry for newbie question.

My NTL 100 box has been playing up and I have had a nightmare with NTL customer service, so I bought an NTL 250 modem from eBay.

Not knowing about MAC addresses, etc., I thought that I could simply connect the modem up and that would be it.

Obviously not the case, apparently the MAC address is assigned elsewhere and I cannot connect this modem to my internet connection.

Can anyone suggest any way I can use this modem?

Thanks

Bill C
06-12-2006, 17:44
Hi,

My NTL 100 box has been playing up and I have had a nightmare with NTL customer service, so I bought an NTL 250 modem from eBay.

Not knowing about MAC addresses, etc., I thought that I could simply connect the modem up and that would be it.

Obviously not the case, apparently the MAC address is assigned elsewhere and I cannot connect this modem to my internet connection.

Thanks

There are no legal ways to use that modem. To put it simply its a door stop. NTL will not allow it to be connected as it will have been marked as disconnected from the last owner.

Oh and :welcome: to the forum

Tech_Boy
06-12-2006, 17:44
You can't use that modem.
It belongs to Ntl, all modems that NTL supply (since the Ambit 100) remain the property of the company.
the only way to get a new modem is to call Tech support, if you are having problems, and If they diagnose an issue with your modem, they will book you an engineer to replace it for free.

that modem will not work for you, I'd suggest reporting the seller to Customer Services.

dilli-theclaw
06-12-2006, 17:46
There are no legal ways to use that modem. To put it simply its a door stop. NTL will not allow it to be connected as it will have been marked as disconnected from the last owner.

Oh and :welcome: to the forumDon't forget they can also make good heaters!!!

;) :)

Bill C
06-12-2006, 17:48
Don't forget they can also make good heaters!!!

;) :)

Indeed my feet are warming on mine at the moment as its just thrown on the floor under the table :Yikes:

dilli-theclaw
06-12-2006, 17:48
Hi,

ThanksYup - sorry to say it's not going to work.

But as has also been said you should get onto tech support where they should sort your existing one out.

If you can't get any resolution from ntl then post back here and see if anyone can help - we're a nice bunch.... mostly ;) :)

and welcome.

TheCrow
06-12-2006, 19:18

Oh and :welcome: to the forum

I like the way you have said "legal", i take it you know about the dark side that is slowly grinding away at ntls bank accounts?

Nikesh
06-12-2006, 19:54
If I were you I would try and get a refund on that modem seeing as its illegal to sell them.

Bill C
06-12-2006, 20:31
I like the way you have said "legal", i take it you know about the dark side that is slowly grinding away at ntls bank accounts?

No comment

Nikesh
06-12-2006, 20:32
No comment

lolll :D

Bill C
06-12-2006, 20:35
lolll :D

:D

Rik
06-12-2006, 22:07
i take it you know about the dark side

Use the force Luke ;)

I have heard there are problems with constant disconnects tho from the "Dark Side" :)

Bill C
06-12-2006, 22:15
Use the force Luke ;)

I have heard there are problems with constant disconnects tho from the "Dark Side" :)

Again no comment :LOL:

mmm
06-12-2006, 22:49
If I were you I would try and get a refund on that modem seeing as its illegal to sell them.

What's the crime? Handling stolen goods?

We've been here before, NTL do not bother to collect modems or even digital stbs (or ask customers to return them as per T&C) when customers move or cancel so after a suitable length of time it up to the 'new owner' to dispose of as they so wish.

There are 20 ntl 250's for sale on ebay at this time, if ntl lose 10% per year their are probably 100s of thousands in the wild.

MovedGoalPosts
06-12-2006, 23:23
Once again let's remind everyone of the rules.

Cable Forum does not allow discussion of any means by which cable services can be obtained without subscription to ntl:telewest.

Yes ntl:telewest do not help their cause by not ensuring collection of modems or STBs from customers, but they are hired not owned to the customer and thus remain the property of the cableco. Thus, even if they are not collected they are not the property of the ex-customer to sell. Even if that is a grey area, the connection of such devices to the ntl:telewest network by a non subscriber is clearly attempting to obtain services without paying for them, and thus theft.

Any subscriber who does have faulty equipment should get this repaired or replaced via legitimate ntl:telewest faults.