PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a new house, NTL say that it's connected but...

r1ch
06-12-2006, 13:23
Hi all. I'm moving to a new house in a week. The current owners don't think that there is NTL service available at the property but the neighbours seem to have it so I thought I'd check with NTL. If I use the postcode that the post office gave me for the house then NTL say that there isn't an NTL line there but the BT think that the postcode is slightly different so I thought that I'd try that one too. NTL say that post code is connected and it does seem to be the correct post code for the property according to their system but because we're changing billing areas and there is something wrong with the system in the new area at the moment they can't arrange the service transfer and someone will call me back (hopefully) when it's all back online.

If I use the online availability checker the first postcode says it's outside of their area but the second postcode lists all the houses around apart from the one that I'm moving to. Is there any way to be sure that the address really is connected? If not, I'd like to get an ADSL connection sorted pretty sharpish so that we're not left without an internet connection over christmas - we've got lots of relatives abroad that we use it to keep in touch with. Can anyone in the know be of any help please?

Quam256
06-12-2006, 13:41
You could knock on a couple of doors on the same side of the road and ask them .
You could ask NTL to come out and do a pre install survey on the property as soon as possible in that way it would also save them a wasted trip if there is no services .

r1ch
06-12-2006, 13:53
Thanks - the new house is about a 5 hour drive away so I won't be able to ask the neighbours until we move in (although the NTL address checker lists them as connectable if I use the postcode from BT) but the pre install survey might be a good idea - I'll ask them to do that if the moving team ring me back. Otherwise I might go for ADSL to keep things simple - it's a long way from the exchange so that might be dodgy too though.

r1ch
08-12-2006, 11:05
They never rang back in the end, so I called them again today. After half an hour on hold they finally decided that the property isn't serviceable after all (even though all of its neighbours are) which is a shame.

They told me to just throw my cable modem away though - don't they normally come and collect them?

Quam256
08-12-2006, 11:21
Sorry to hear that you cant get service ,they dont bother with the modems to much.I would not get rid of it just in case they chase you up for it later ,do you think they would believe you if you said "you told me to throw it away ".