PDA

View Full Version : Maxing out my upload buggers connection?

pooper
05-12-2006, 13:31
I was DCCing someone a file on IRC last night (at around 55K/sec) and i noticed that as soon as the file started to send, i was disconnected from MSN, and was disconnected from the IRC server that i was connected to.

I wasn't able to reconnect to MSN until the file had finished sending....so.... is this normal for cable? I never used to have this kind of issue when i maxed out the upload on my old xDSL line :/

handyman
05-12-2006, 13:43
The issue is there on dsl connections but more pronounced on cable.

For each packet that gets sent to you your pc sends back a ack (acknowledgement) that it has been received ok. If you are maxing out your upload the ack's get cued up going outbound and as such the sending pc ramps down to try match the speed it thinks you can handle.

Certain file transfer methods do not use acks but unfortunately most do.

Best thing is to cap you upload leaving a 10% free for acks and all should work fine.

IanGuy
05-12-2006, 18:42
I've been searching for a program to *cap* the upload too, haven't been successful.

Bill C
05-12-2006, 18:46
I've been searching for a program to *cap* the upload too, haven't been successful.

http://www.netlimiter.com/ :)

punky
05-12-2006, 18:48
Do you have a router? You haven't given your IRC client a higher priority than the other apps have you?

If all the apps have equal priority, then you shouldn't really be disconnect from IRC. I have uploaded many files, at very close to my theoretical upload speed (not just practical/reasonable upload speed), for many hours at a time and never had this problem before.

handyman
05-12-2006, 20:52

I use u-torrent as my p2p client and it has a upload download limiter built in.

pooper
06-12-2006, 11:29
I am using a Router yeah, but i havent used any kinda QoS service or given any apps priority in anyway :/

Seems a bit weird really, surely the ACKS should be able to get through still, regardless of how saturated the bandwidth is?

Oh well :P

IanGuy
06-12-2006, 23:22
http://www.netlimiter.com/ :)

Thanks for that, just what I need.

Yeah I'm aware of torrent limitting etc handyman, but I need it limited for things such as sending files over msn and uploading to my ftp.

Netlimiter seems to be fine :D Thanks alot