PDA

View Full Version : 4Mb - But only ever get 2Mb!

Zoom7000
03-12-2006, 02:16
I'm on the "supposedly" 4Mb service as it states in my modem config page. However, I've only ever got a fastest speed of 2.5Mb!

I'm using an ntl:home 120 modem. Is this "antique" what is holding me back?

In the East London area btw...

Zoom7000

Graham M
03-12-2006, 02:56
Its possible but remember that speeds are always "Up to x Meg", being in London I'd not be surprised if your UBR was quite heavily contended, have you tried contacting NTL regarding this?

arcamalpha2004
03-12-2006, 08:22
I'm on the "supposedly" 4Mb service as it states in my modem config page. However, I've only ever got a fastest speed of 2.5Mb!

I'm using an ntl:home 120 modem. Is this "antique" what is holding me back?

In the East London area btw...

Zoom7000

So youre achieving roughly a little over 50% of what youre paying for?
I would call retentions and demand a 50% reduction in your monthly payment ;) if they are not too keen on that, get onto your local trading standards.
In the contract it states to the effect " if we significantly reduce any services we provide "
I would suggest that only achieving 50% of what youre paying for is " significant " for you to cancel, or atleast for them to find out why and rectify the problem, as a nation we dont complain enough :)

nufcfan123
06-12-2006, 00:37
I have the same problem here in Luton, and personally i think it is the modem

I have the NTL home:100 one and according to the Signal Topic you are suppost to get a Recommended SNr of 33 and i get just around 30.

Maybe the lack of power is holding the speeds back?

Richy99
06-12-2006, 17:01
those modems will easily handle 4meg, i have the original cmx that we had to buy when ntl started the service and i get just over 7meg

sounds more like congestion or a proxy than the modem or maybe a fault on the line

EssDee
06-12-2006, 17:12
I have the same problem here in Luton, and personally i think it is the modem

I have the NTL home:100 one and according to the Signal Topic you are suppost to get a Recommended SNr of 33 and i get just around 30.

Maybe the lack of power is holding the speeds back?

I had exactly the same issue that resolved itself instantly upon installation of a 250 model modem.

Thread is here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33604151

Cheers