PDA

View Full Version : Evening & Weekends: Incredibly Slow in London

Padzok
29-11-2006, 08:33
Does anyone else have this problem? Especially in NW London?

Between midnight and 8 am ish my service is the full 2Mb it is supposed to be. Packet loss is occasionally 2% or 4% but sometimes 0.

During the day (including weekends) the speed is as low as 70 or 80 kb/s and rarely exceeds 10% or 15% of what it is supposed to. Packet loss is typically between 10% and 40%.

I would have thought that the fact that the service is OK at certain times of day proves that it isnt the modem (an NTL250) itself... but has anyone else had this problem and/or solved it?

The problem is the same whether connected with ethernet or USB, and whether in Firefox or IE (or neither eg Dan Elwell's test), and whether forcing a specific proxy or not.

A$h X
30-11-2006, 19:21
This doesn't sound good, as I was thinking of getting NTL's 2Mb service. I also live in NW london. :eek:

punky
30-11-2006, 19:44
I'm in NE London. Can't say i've noticed anything.

:welcome: to the site though, Padzok & A$h_X

Stuart
30-11-2006, 19:55
:welcome: to the site, both of you.

Padzok
01-12-2006, 08:57
Thanks for the welcomes.

No many people seem to be having the same problem in NW London - so I guess I'll get an engineer out.

It's funny that on the first page there seems to be about half a dozen threads about slowness in certain areas. Some have been told that there are problems (which may not be fixed until Jan!!!)

I may just cancel if they can't sort it.

jpxdude
04-12-2006, 15:15
Hey!

I was basically told the same thing about not having my problem sorted out until the beginning of Jan, which seems preposterous :-/ (via blueyonder)

Let us know how you're getting on!

Thanks,

J

Padzok
27-12-2006, 14:43
Let us know how you're getting on!

Got ntl to finally admit that there was a problem.

Unfortunately, they couldnt fix it, so I've cancelled.

I still don't know whether it was just poor engineers (they did seem clueless tbh) or whether (as I suspect) the problem is really that their network cannot deliver the service that they have persuaded people to pay for.

If at all possible, they fob you off by saying that their tests show no problem. But if you are able to give them technical data to show that there is a problem, they'll admit it and send an engineer.

But each time the engineer failed to fix it, all they did was offer to send another engineer. I think that would have gone on for ever if I hadnt cancelled.

I just wish I'd got rid of it sooner really. Would have saved me taking all that time off work - not to mention all the time spent on the phone to Tech "Support".