PDA

View Full Version : W*F why do i bother

Doofy
28-11-2006, 19:53
Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong part secondly my net connection 10mb is absoultely dire (dial up speeds) had no joy from TS or CS and for this i am paying £38.00 a month. Walking down my street today, i noticed the local wannabe has just ran a cable from the brown box on his house up to a bedroom window so he can hook up another 10mb cloned modem (to go with his chipped tv box) So thats 2 x10mb cloned and full tv package for free and people like me who pay and always have get nothing but dire service from ts and cs, most of the time makes me wonder why i bother tbh, and when are NTL going to do something about these people and what are the chances of people doing stuff like this affecting my net connection......Rant over....

UncleBooBoo
28-11-2006, 20:03
Have you reported the person(s) in question?

Bill C
28-11-2006, 20:04
Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong part secondly my net connection 10mb is absoultely dire (dial up speeds) had no joy from TS or CS and for this i am paying £38.00 a month. Walking down my street today, i noticed the local wannabe has just ran a cable from the brown box on his house up to a bedroom window so he can hook up another 10mb cloned modem (to go with his chipped tv box) So thats 2 x10mb cloned and full tv package for free and people like me who pay and always have get nothing but dire service from ts and cs, most of the time makes me wonder why i bother tbh, and when are NTL going to do something about these people and what are the chances of people doing stuff like this affecting my net connection......Rant over....

NTL do not admit or broadcast what they are doing to cloned modems or to chipped set tops so as to keep the toerags who are doing this guessing. I can say from what i have heard they now take them very seriously and are attacking them all the time. Just ask someone who has one what has happened in the last 2 weeks ;)

From what i have heard they are having a bit of a problem at the moment :LOL: :tu: and long may NTL continue what they are doing.

Doofy
28-11-2006, 20:08
Have you reported the person(s) in question?

I spoke to CS today while i was chatting about my dire problems and the lady on the phone while very polite wasn't very interested TBH, this stuff is getting way out of hand over here even advertising on the local stuff4 sale site, talk about cheek not sure if i am allowed to post links so i havent...

Locky
28-11-2006, 20:10
sabotage him (the brown box smash it up, he isnt goin to report it to ntl is he) or jsut keep cuttign the wires, ntl themselves will never do anything on this until they get many many complaints about it

Doofy
28-11-2006, 20:11
NTL do not admit or broadcast what they are doing to cloned modems or to chipped set tops so as to keep the toerags who are doing this guessing. I can say from what i have heard they now take them very seriously and are attacking them all the time. Just ask someone who has one what has happened in the last 2 weeks ;)

From what i have heard they are having a bit of a problem at the moment :LOL: :tu: and long may NTL continue what they are doing.

I agree 150% weird thing is since they ran a cable from the box to the bedroom my connection has been atrocious ( they aint very far away ) may be my paranoia or the fact that this just p****s me right off when i and my mr's work to pay for things we like in life and to make ends meet..

Bill C
28-11-2006, 20:16
I agree 150% weird thing is since they ran a cable from the box to the bedroom my connection has been atrocious ( they aint very far away ) may be my paranoia or the fact that this just p****s me right off when i and my mr's work to pay for things we like in life and to make ends meet..

Simple answer report it. If they have done this incorrectly they could be putting noise on the network which will affect you connection , Ask for a engineer to call and then tell him what you have seen. He can then check for noise on the network at that cab and check some other things as well.

Toto
28-11-2006, 20:48
I spoke to CS today while i was chatting about my dire problems and the lady on the phone while very polite wasn't very interested TBH, this stuff is getting way out of hand over here even advertising on the local stuff4 sale site, talk about cheek not sure if i am allowed to post links so i havent...

Report it here (http://www.ntlworld.com/netreport), there is a section dealing with Security related enquiries, write it up in there, give name, address and postcode of the person, you don't have to give your details.

Doofy
03-01-2007, 08:43
Been a while since i updated this one mainly due to the fact that i am so p****d of about it all. I have rung ntl on god knows how many occasions been nice,polite reported it spoke to NTL fraud department and the end result was absolute Zero. I was told by NTL yesterday that i should call the police WTF!!!!!. When i pointed out that they wouldn't come out for a muggin around here so they really are gonna laugh at this i was put on hold while they went to have a word with a supervisor, 10 minutes later they came back with this and i swear it is the truth. There is nothing i they can or will do about it they are aware that it happens but it is too much of a pain for them to take any action so i will just have to put up with it or move to another isp...... Meanwhile my connection is crap and i do mean crap, more than likely due to the fact that the local cloner now has more modems downloading 24/7 from usenet. Today i am going to cancel my account with NTL no incentive for people like me who are completely legal and pay there way and get absolutely sod all in the way of help from NTL. While people rip them off for all they can and all NTL say is ah well never mind i am sooooooo f****d off about this i can't tell you....

cookster
03-01-2007, 10:36
Surprised you managed to speak to anybody at NTL. I've been trying for 2 days to get through!!! Sky/BT here I come!

Doofy
03-01-2007, 10:46
had no problem getting through just had a problem explaining it to them or should i say myself having a problem in beleiving they will not do anything about this. Have just spoken to them again (will i ever learn) and they offered me half price broadband for 3 months but are still flat out refusing to do anything about this whatsoever. The person i just spoke to said NTL would rather ignore the problem and treat it like it doesn't exist I turned doen there offer and gave them notice which i will also put in writing, cos i am f****d if i am going to subsidise someone elses connection....

dev
03-01-2007, 15:02
tbh i'd just cut his cable till he stops, of course, do it at night or when he isn't in / no one is about

Maggy
03-01-2007, 15:23
So why not go over the heads of the people who are not taking your reports seriously and complain to the head honcho?That's the usual practice if you get no joy from the lower echelons of a company.Work your way up the chain of command and responsibility until you find someone who will listen.

Plus keep reporting back here about whatever responses you get.;)

Doofy
03-01-2007, 15:29
Looks like thats gonna be the only option mind you on to pastures new for me shame really, havent really had all that many problems with NTL but i just cannot stay with a service that is run this shoddily TBH. Denying the problem exists IMO is nothing short of taking the **** hopefully when more and more of these start appearing around here something may be done about it but i truly doubt it.

neoapple
08-01-2007, 15:28
Do you acturly know he is running a pirate setup? Like as in direct evidence
Also if you can get us a photo of the cable setup lol wanna have a laugh

KN4995
08-01-2007, 16:21
God, the chipped box/cloned this that & the other is absolutely rife in my area, if anyone cares or has a way of checking legit TV/BB connections.
My mate works at a place where they have the resident DVD/CD/tobacco supplier who does the cards/boxes. I'm sure this happens just as much nationwide, but damn, this bloke is well busy. Makes more cash on the snide than he earns in wages..

:mad::mad::mad:

Doofy
08-01-2007, 16:35
I agree 150% it is rife our local chipper (for want ofd a better word) actually works for NTL soon as i reported this 2 NTL within 2 days he had already told all his customers to shut off there modems as NTL were doing audits or something or other. End of the month i will be an excustomer of NTL's and it's can't come soon enough for me

Toto
08-01-2007, 16:48
had no problem getting through just had a problem explaining it to them or should i say myself having a problem in beleiving they will not do anything about this. Have just spoken to them again (will i ever learn) and they offered me half price broadband for 3 months but are still flat out refusing to do anything about this whatsoever. The person i just spoke to said NTL would rather ignore the problem and treat it like it doesn't exist I turned doen there offer and gave them notice which i will also put in writing, cos i am f****d if i am going to subsidise someone elses connection....

Did you use the form I linked to you a few posts ago?

Terry
08-01-2007, 16:51
There are stories going round the pubs in North Belfast that a team of ex employees are doing professional installs, reconnecting disconnected customers and supplying stbs and modems. They even have bright yellow jackets with NTL on the back. Cant report it as it is second, third hand info but I have been asked by a reputed customer of the pirates why I actually pay NTL as its so easy to get it free

Doofy
08-01-2007, 17:04
Did you use the form I linked to you a few posts ago?

Yup i did i really have tried all the avenues and i came to the conclusion that i had 2 choices say goodbye to ntl or join the cloners, so it was goodbye to NTL. Whilst speaking to one of there TS people who was a really nice fella even he admitted that he usually turns a blind eye to them as it's like banging there head against a brick wall, and if HE feels like tha what chance have the customers got well sod that.

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

There are stories going round the pubs in North Belfast that a team of ex employees are doing professional installs, reconnecting disconnected customers and supplying stbs and modems. They even have bright yellow jackets with NTL on the back. Cant report it as it is second, third hand info but I have been asked by a reputed customer of the pirates why I actually pay NTL as its so easy to get it free

Again i agree with you it is so easy to get it free but if i want something i tend to pay for it (not having a go at you m8) they even advertise in the local papers here along the lines of 10 meg NTL mod get Internet for free, charging 25 quid....

Doofy
11-01-2007, 15:42
Do you acturly know he is running a pirate setup? Like as in direct evidence
Also if you can get us a photo of the cable setup lol wanna have a laugh

Yes i do know i have seen the modems in question (ambit 250) It is not difficult to spot a flashed modem. But apparently i am not the only one with this problem, after talking to some others in the street they are all having the same problem. And yup they have rung NTL and guess what same reply not a lot they can do. WTF!!!!!!!! Gonna take it into my own hands before long see how long it is before i get a call from the boys in blue....... Wouldnt suprise me one jot. Talk about p****d off thank f***k i am off to another provider. Or i could always spend 25 quid and buy a modem from him may as well pay him the money might get better service then i get from NTL

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

UPDATE i have just spoken to TS who have just refused to send an engineer out, they have just said it must be down to my firewall or antivirus. After a neverending runaround speedtesting and proxy settings none of which was any use i was put on hold then promptly cut off.

bringerofnoise
12-01-2007, 11:59
i don't know if i got this right but even if you move provider you'll still get the connection problems because you'll still be connected to the same cabinet as the leecher?

Doofy
12-01-2007, 12:11
I have just spoken to a rather helpfull fella after i asked to be put through to someone at Tech support in england, after being given yet another load of bull this mornning. Anyhoo i spke to a supervisor this morning and he has assured me that this will be followed up and something done at last someone who could see my point of view he even went to the bother of giving me his name and ext number so i could follow this up. Why does it take this amount of time before i get to someone who actually knows the problem and actually wants to help.

Toto
12-01-2007, 14:03
i don't know if i got this right but even if you move provider you'll still get the connection problems because you'll still be connected to the same cabinet as the leecher?

Uhmm....no, if he swaps from Cable to a DSL provider, he's on a whole different network. Well, unless of course he goes from ntl Cable to Virgin ADSL ;)

luckybleeder
13-01-2007, 20:45
Well, from what i hear the tits and the fun cards no longer work (there is a daily fix but it's a pain in the **** to implement). What i don't understand is why do you need to "chip" your box? NTL, although a waste of space do offer cheap services. I have the knowledge (and a forum backup if i get stuck) but i was never tempted because i only pay a few quid a month anyway.

Modems are a different matter. Seems ntl don't give a ff about these, more interested in tv atm :(

Doofy
13-01-2007, 21:19
It was explained to me today by an NTL engineer NTL cannot just knock on the door and ask if they are ripping them, off especially difficult if they have at least a basic service coming into the property. But as i explained the only benefit they have over people like me is that they cannot call for help, well lets face it most of the time thats no great loss. And after they way i have been treated by TS today i really am past the point of caring. The engineer i spoke to today said the enginner's couldnt just disconnect at the cab even if the property had no services as it was more than his job was worth, can't say i blame him we all got to put food on the table.

luckybleeder
15-01-2007, 00:46
I think there lies the problem Doofy. People with chipped boxes do usually have and pay for an ntl service. The splitters and talk back filters cost a few quid and for that they can rip us all off and force ntl to raise it's prices.

I'm no ntl fanboy but ripping or degrading a fellow cab sharer is not fair and i will report anybody who tries to affect my service. Call me a grass, i don't care!

Doofy
15-01-2007, 02:28
Think you could be right on the money, seems to be well at least we are getting some revenue in so best ignore the problem and it might go away. All i ever wanted was the service i paid for which to be honest i always got untill recently. It really was the attitude of NTL that really wound me up but have come to the conclusion that no matter what this stuff will continue i even know people that have 10 meg fully paid for but will still clone a modem just to say they have done it weird...