PDA

View Full Version : NTL Traffic Shaping

jdtswan
28-11-2006, 16:03
Hi, does anyone know how to avoid NTL's obvious traffic shaping whilst using PTP, I cant access web pages or email whilst P2P is running (Using Emule and Shareaza), Im currently on 4 Meg Broadband if thats any help ?? Never had any problems up until about 3 weeks ago ?

Stuart
28-11-2006, 16:21
If NTL are shaping your connection, then, I doubt you can avoid it. How are you connecting to the Internet? Through a Modem or STB? When I used P2P I found that using P2P through my Samsung STB would often cause the box to slow down, and eventually hang.

Bill C
28-11-2006, 16:34
Hi, does anyone know how to avoid NTL's obvious traffic shaping whilst using PTP, I cant access web pages or email whilst P2P is running (Using Emule and Shareaza), Im currently on 4 Meg Broadband if thats any help ?? Never had any problems up until about 3 weeks ago ?

I have tested all the tricks to avoid it and they dont work.

bilal
28-11-2006, 19:34
hmmm... same thing i get. Where do you live and is it true that ntl are traffic shaping at the moment (im in the bromley area)

Bill C
28-11-2006, 19:54
hmmm... same thing i get. Where do you live and is it true that ntl are traffic shaping at the moment (im in the bromley area)

I am in Warrington and its no big secret that they are.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/292/ntltelewest-admits-traffic-shaping-on-its-network

Personally i think its a good idea if its only between 6.00pm and midnight and it means i can surf and play games in peak times. I only do my big downloads after midnight so i don't affect other users in my area.

There again i only use the newsgroups and therefor dont upload all the time.

Locky
28-11-2006, 20:06
well initialy i had no problems with traffic shapeing but it is utter ridiculous how much we are being shaped, FTP is unaffected, newsgroups start off at 5 kb/s then STOP (ntl's newsgroups) browseing i have had regular timeouts 1 in 2 page loads times out (doesnt mater whether or not useing a proxy too much neither) dont get me wrong i am all for the shapeing dureing the hours of 6 - 12 my problem is i am barely seeing over 20 kb/s on http (when it loads, netlimiter 2 pro tells me this)
maybe they are doing this to me as a individual ? or a fault ?
btw oldham OL2

Bill C
28-11-2006, 20:28
well initialy i had no problems with traffic shapeing but it is utter ridiculous how much we are being shaped, FTP is unaffected, newsgroups start off at 5 kb/s then STOP (ntl's newsgroups) browseing i have had regular timeouts 1 in 2 page loads times out (doesnt mater whether or not useing a proxy too much neither) dont get me wrong i am all for the shapeing dureing the hours of 6 - 12 my problem is i am barely seeing over 20 kb/s on http (when it loads, netlimiter 2 pro tells me this)
btw oldham OL2

Ntl's newsgroups are not what i would say the fastest anyway. I use giganews and can max out at 10 meg at anytime of the day if i want to. That is why i do my downloads overnight. I am in South Manchester as far as my main connection is concerned and at the moment it seems as if the proxies are off. Since they where turned of my browsing is far better. God i hate proxy's

Locky
28-11-2006, 20:35
Ntl's newsgroups are not what i would say the fastest anyway. I use giganews and can max out at 10 meg at anytime of the day if i want to. That is why i do my downloads overnight. I am in South Manchester as far as my main connection is concerned and at the moment it seems as if the proxies are off. Since they where turned of my browsing is far better. God i hate proxy's

i mean like they start at very slow speeds then stop totally and dont download at all as for the timeouts it is geting kind of silly dad been wit ntl since like 97/8 and dnt wana leave because of a little incompetance i iwll be happy if all this is down to 20 meg preperations :P if not maybe isp switch soon :(

Bill C
28-11-2006, 20:40
i mean like they start at very slow speeds then stop totally and dont download at all as for the timeouts it is geting kind of silly dad been wit ntl since like 97/8 and dnt wana leave because of a little incompetance i iwll be happy if all this is down to 20 meg preperations :P if not maybe isp switch soon :(

If you need to change isp then so be it. But most isps do or will be traffic shaping soon. The reason is they can then say they are unlimited and have no caps.

Traffic shaping can control you a different way. Take Tiscali, If you exceed with them they put you in a bad boys pipe till the end of the month, Same as Sky broadband. Others just traffic shape you to hell all day . . ie ukonline.

Locky
28-11-2006, 20:43
If you need to change isp then so be it. But most isps do or will be traffic shaping soon. The reason is they can then say they are unlimited and have no caps.

Traffic shaping can control you a different way. Take Tiscali, If you exceed with them they put you in a bad boys pipe till the end of the month, Same as Sky broadband. Others just traffic shape you to hell all day . . ie ukonline.

no u mis understand me, my problem is not the traffic shapeing i agree that is the right thing for them to do however not being able to download at dureing these times from newsgroups is rather pathetic as well as all the timeouts i am geting (never had none of this until jus after the 20 meg trials finished, wich was NOT in my area anyways), maybe a fault somewere ?

(i know i explained it crap sorry)

Bill C
28-11-2006, 20:47
no u mis understand me, my problem is not the traffic shapeing i agree that is the right thing for them to do however not being able to download at dureing these times from newsgroups is rather pathetic as well as all the timeouts i am geting (never had none of this until jus after the 20 meg trials finished, wich was NOT in my area anyways), maybe a fault somewere ?

(i know i explained it crap sorry)

Yes i think i misunderstood you there :)

Yep it could be a fault, Have you spoken to anyone about it. ?

Locky
28-11-2006, 20:50
Yes i think i misunderstood you there :)

Yep it could be a fault, Have you spoken to anyone about it. ?

from what i read about experiences with ntl CS i havent, but i mite give a go when i get back from college tomorow, thank you bill

ps, will let u know tomorow what they say about it

Bill C
28-11-2006, 20:54
from what i read about experiences with ntl CS i havent, but i mite give a go when i get back from college tomorow, thank you bill

ps, will let u know tomorow what they say about it

:tu:

Stuart
28-11-2006, 20:59
btw oldham OL2

TBH, I tend not to bother with NTL's newsgroups. I use Easynews and Giganews. They charge extra, but I get fast speeds from them most of the time (Giganews seems more reliable and faster than Easynews though).

Locky
28-11-2006, 21:41
TBH, I tend not to bother with NTL's newsgroups. I use Easynews and Giganews. They charge extra, but I get fast speeds from them most of the time (Giganews seems more reliable and faster than Easynews though).

i may also consider buying premium news service but jus gna fone ntl first see what is said if there is any fault or w.e, thanks :)

jdtswan
29-11-2006, 10:11
Im in Swansea and its happening 24-7, using a cable modem on 4 meg ??

Xan
29-11-2006, 10:36
I downgraded from the 10meg to the 4meg some months ago but i still max 1.2mb on most downloads (i think ntl likes me);)