PDA

View Full Version : ANALOGUE TV SETS

tex
28-11-2006, 11:27
HI THERE,
MY SON HAS A ANALOGUE TV USEING A STB.
WILL IT STILL BE OK AFTER THE CHANGE OVER?
I WAS TOLD BY A SALES PERSON HE HAD TO GET A DIGITL TV, AS THE STB WILL NOT WORK ON A ANALOGUE TV AFTER THE CHANGE OVER.
THANKS TEX

Paul K
28-11-2006, 11:29
Erm it should be fine as the STB acts like a freeview box in that it takes the digital signal and outputs it to the telly via RF or SCART. If everyone with an analogue tv on NTL/SKY/TW had to change their tellys then there would be bloodshed at the shops ;)

lauzjp
28-11-2006, 12:16
If everyone with an analogue tv on NTL/SKY/TW had to change their tellys then there would be bloodshed at the shops ;)

http://www.psodivas.com/divaboard/images/smilies/mobccc.gif

who told you that your son would need a new 'digital' tv - your son?! :rolleyes:

TheDaddy
28-11-2006, 13:42
HI THERE,
I WAS TOLD BY A SALES PERSON HE HAD TO GET A DIGITL TV.

What a snake, I hope you report him and take your future custom else where

Stuart
28-11-2006, 14:04
Was it in Dixons by any chance?

Graham M
28-11-2006, 14:34
And any chance you could turn OFF caps lock before you make a post in future? :) Thanks.

Delta Whiskey
28-11-2006, 15:30
The whole point of the Freeview boxes is the continuing usability of Analogue TV's. The Government couldn't have gone ahead with the Digital switch-over unless there had been some way for people to continue to use their existing TV sets.

DW

tex
29-11-2006, 11:20
hi there,
i would like to thank you all for the info.
tex

v0id
29-11-2006, 14:35
my understanding is, after the change over you won't be able to use your VCR to record off the STB and watch a different channel with an old t.v

Robster
30-11-2006, 13:47
This reminds me of when I went to help my parents buy a TV a few years ago, and the bloke in Powerhouse told him that he should get a widescreen TV because 4:3 TVs would soon be "obsolete" :erm:

RealDiamond
04-12-2006, 08:37
my understanding is, after the change over you won't be able to use your VCR to record off the STB and watch a different channel with an old t.v
correct, if you've not got a second digibox of any kind, the hole HOUSE will be stuck watching one single channel (out of the 300), just like before VHS recorders. the reason why VCRs are not realy being released with a built in Digital box is due to HARDDISKs being built in instead and are realy cheap as well and theyve added a dvd recorder as well to the all in one unit, so then you can back up the TV when its not recording and watch it on any DVD player and then eraze the HDD for more recording. so DVD is not gonna be replaced By Blu-ray for ages as the Blu-ray recorders are sky high in price.

Widescreen has got a higher broadcast share now but the equipment still contains a back up setting for 4/3 but now 4/3 users loses picture content of the sides, really stupid when the person talking is no longer on the 4/3 screen as they have been chopped off.

jaycee
10-12-2006, 07:33
The whole "You need a new telly for Digital" is the pretty standard TV salesman con. You don't.

What you DO need, is a digibox of some description (Cable, Sky or Freeview) PER TV you want to watch independant channels on. Similarly if you have a VCR you will need a second box for it if you want to record one program and watch something else (this is why Sky+ exists).

If any TV salesman says you need a new telly for digital, tell him to f*** off ;)

tex
10-12-2006, 12:21
hi there,
thank you all for that info.
mind you at the moment he can,t get freeview where he lives.
but it will be comming soon.
tex

Chrysalis
16-12-2006, 23:59
What a snake, I hope you report him and take your future custom else where

sadly I think this misconception is very common, I seen a thread on moneysavingsexpert website about a cheap digital lcd tv, people snapping them up because they all think their old tvs are going to suddenly stop working when analogue is switched off without realising their stb's doing the converting of the signal for them is fine. Only people who will have problems are the ones who have no stb and dont want an external reciever.

I am also amazed how shops are getting away with fazing out crt and replacing it with lcd which techically is a lot more inferior is basically a poor mans plasma.

crt - best picture quality, length of life, mature technology, cheaper to buy
lcd - fasionable, lighter, uses less space (these all non technical advantages), worser colour reproduction so lower quality picture, sharper picture makes tv look more pixelated hdtv on a lcd probably on par with pdtv on a crt, poor viewing angles causing distortion at less the head on viewing angles.
plasma - same non technical advantages as lcd, good picture quality, not suitable for none moving images such as computers, very expensive.

If anyone is lucky enough to have a decent size widescreen crt dont willingly replace it with a lcd you will regret it. I am looking for one but cant buy them anywhere now its all lcd rubbish.

tex
17-12-2006, 10:36
hi one and all,
thank you for all the info,i have told my son what he will need after the change over.
:xmas: