PDA

View Full Version : just wondering why is there 2 different citties on my ip

nho1993
28-11-2006, 00:52
IP Location:https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/3.gif United Kingdom - Northern Ireland - Belfast - Ntl Infrastructure - Reading
Reverse DNS:cpc5-rdng4-0-0-cust***.winn.cable.ntl.com

just wondering why it says reading which is 10miles away from me and belfast which is hundreds of miles away, shouldnt it only show 1 town?

Chris W
28-11-2006, 01:13
I think whoever did that ip location description needs a geography lesson.

That address is on Reading UBR 4.

BTW i've edited your post as it is not a good idea to put the whole address on a forum

KaySquirrel
28-11-2006, 11:25
According to my webcounter, when I visit my own website from our livingroom near Reading here, it's tracking me as coming via Belfast.

Should I be travelling so far in my dressing gown and slippers?? :scratch:

Stuart
28-11-2006, 11:41
Ahh, the joys of NTL's routing..

altis
28-11-2006, 11:45
According to my webcounter, when I visit my own website from our livingroom near Reading here, it's tracking me as coming via Belfast.

Should I be travelling so far in my dressing gown and slippers?? :scratch:

It's probably showing the location of your proxy server instead. You need to be looking at HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and not REMOTE_ADDR.

KaySquirrel
28-11-2006, 12:24
It's probably showing the location of your proxy server instead. You need to be looking at HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and not REMOTE_ADDR.

I don't have access to anything called that. Usually it shows my location as Swallowfield, Reading, but today it's Belfast.. that's all I know! :confused: