PDA

View Full Version : Found Fault with My Connection Finally!! BODGE INSTALLATION.

IanGuy
27-11-2006, 19:39
I've been wonderring why i've been getting intermittent connection and packet loss ever since broadband has been installed in my home.

I have finally found the problem, as I unscrewed the back of the cable modem co-axial(?) I found this to my surprise (See attached).

I have finally been able to connect my modem back up after about 2 hours of trying, as obviously the signal is very intermittent.

Please let me know what you think of this installation, seems utterly pathetic to me. I've reconnected the modem now 3 times just to be able to make this post.

sollp
27-11-2006, 20:22
I've been wonderring why i've been getting intermittent connection and packet loss ever since broadband has been installed in my home.

I have finally found the problem, as I unscrewed the back of the cable modem co-axial(?) I found this to my surprise (See attached).

I have finally been able to connect my modem back up after about 2 hours of trying, as obviously the signal is very intermittent.

Please let me know what you think of this installation, seems utterly pathetic to me. I've reconnected the modem now 3 times just to be able to make this post.

You need to get them out to get this fixed, dosen't surprise me at all, see things like this all the time.

IanGuy
27-11-2006, 20:40
Yeah, engineer now booked for Saturday.

Bill C
27-11-2006, 21:23

Abysmal :Yikes:. absolutely abysmal.

Glad to see you have a engineer coming out :tu:

hairy_mick
27-11-2006, 21:27
looks like wrong tool been used.

FusionXN1
27-11-2006, 23:40
Might be me but whats wrong in the picture :s ?

homealone
28-11-2006, 00:00
Might be me but whats wrong in the picture :s ? It is a poor picture, but I think it is the 'extension tube thingy' that is wrong ???

Bill C
28-11-2006, 06:55
It is a poor picture, but I think it is the 'extension tube thingy' that is wrong ???

'extension tube thingy' is the core from the cable and has become detached which can only happen if the cable is cut in someway or other on install or when being prepared for the connector to be fitted.

IanGuy
28-11-2006, 09:14
I know it's not very clear, but yes Bill C is right, it's the core of the cable which for some reason wasn't attached to the inside of the cable; simply placed.

This probably explains my intermittant and poor connection, so I've had to book an engineer for Saturday in order to fix it.

I could probably fix it myself but don't want to mess with NTL's equipment as I know they charge if they see it as a fault of your own.

Sorry for the picture quality btw, I took it quickly with my mobile phone in order to show the basics of how it was installed (with the core completely loose from the cable).

IanGuy
29-11-2006, 09:25
Can't connect at all now, I'm in work typing this. No internet connection at home until Saturday it seems.

JontyG
29-11-2006, 10:15
I've seen damage like this before, where the centre of the cable "snaps" and results in the screening braid shorting out with the centre connection.
It can occur when the cable is "stressed" by being moved repeatedly and isn't really anything to do with wrong equipmet being used to make the connection . I have seen it when the modem is tucked down the side of the couch and pulled out to connect to a laptop etc, but on a new install this should not happen.
Was the cable new at the time of install, or was it existing cable in the property that was used to connect to?

IanGuy
29-11-2006, 13:02
The cable was new at the time of install.

IanGuy
30-11-2006, 09:37
I have now cut the F connector off the end in an attempt to repair it myself but was unsuccessful in placing it back on as it is crimped.

Should the engineer still carry out the work without charge if I explain the situation?

JontyG
30-11-2006, 11:45
Yeah,
Just ring and report the problem.
if you want to get it working in the mean time, you could use a screw on type F connector that sky use

Very unusual tht this should happen with new cable. (and easy to miss at install - its not something you would expect as presumably the signal was initially ok )

IanGuy
30-11-2006, 12:11
Yeah it is weird, but what I think is that it was initially loose, not completely out - so maybe it wasn't known to the engineer who installed it. Probably came out when I took it out due to it being loose in the first place (I have always had packet loss of over 2% with my connection).

Unfortunately I don't have any F connectors lying around.

IanGuy
02-12-2006, 15:14
All sorted, engineer turned up at 10am and replaced the end of the cable.

No packet loss anymore at all - quite pleased.

homealone
02-12-2006, 15:45
All sorted, engineer turned up at 10am and replaced the end of the cable.

No packet loss anymore at all - quite pleased.

good news, glad you got it sorted :tu: