PDA

View Full Version : Installing wireless?

Troffer007
25-11-2006, 17:20
I have had no contact ever with cable based internet connections. I have worked with ADSL routers & am very familiar with DHCP servers, static IP's etc.
Now to my point. I have just had an NTL cable based 2Mbps modem fitted with of course 1 ethernet connectoin out of it. I want to install a wireless access point - do I purchase a DSL wireless router & replace the existing modem provided by NTL or plug any wireless access point into the existing modem.

Can anyone recommend a particular wireless access point that will work with my NTL setup?

NTL had no idea how to achieve this when I rang them, twice - thanks if anyone can help.
Dave

Druchii
25-11-2006, 17:24
You need a wireless router, not an ADSL one, of course if there will only ever be one pc connected to it a wireless bridge should do the trick.

Just be aware you'll need a DSL/Cable router, and not the ADSL variety as you cannot replace the modem supplied by NTL. Something like the Linksys WRT54G fits the bill perfectly (I have one fo these on a Telewest 4Mb line)

Musicman
25-11-2006, 17:26
The most popular configuration, that I then have installed, involves a wireless router being plugged into the DSL modem. Again, the Linksys WRT54G seems to be a popular choice, which I have used for over two years with no problems.

Troffer007
25-11-2006, 17:37
THanks for that guys. I was assuming I could use one of many ADSL Wireless Routers I already have, not configure the ADSL ISP account part & just use the Wireless and the 4 ports of the switch part for direct RJ45 connection to PC's etc. The problem I have is that the NTL modem is a DHCP server & NTL couldn't tell me how many IPs it was capable of dishing out. I need to know this so I can put a static IP with the same subnet as the NTL modem into the ADSL Router (obviously with the ADSL bit not active).

What you're saying is I need a DSL Wirelss Router & literally plug in one of it's RJ45 ethernet ports into the NTL modem's RJ45 connector & it just works - yes?

Dave

daggman
25-11-2006, 17:48
i would recomend this one :

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034

great price.

Druchii
25-11-2006, 17:48
THanks for that guys. I was assuming I could use one of many ADSL Wireless Routers I already have, not configure the ADSL ISP account part & just use the Wireless and the 4 ports of the switch part for direct RJ45 connection to PC's etc. The problem I have is that the NTL modem is a DHCP server & NTL couldn't tell me how many IPs it was capable of dishing out. I need to know this so I can put a static IP with the same subnet as the NTL modem into the ADSL Router (obviously with the ADSL bit not active).

What you're saying is I need a DSL Wirelss Router & literally plug in one of it's RJ45 ethernet ports into the NTL modem's RJ45 connector & it just works - yes?

Dave
Yes, you'd need to plug the WAN or Internet port (depending on how it's labelled) rom the DSL/Cable router into the RJ45 port of the NTL modem, switch off the modem and router, then switch on the modem, let the lights on it settle. And then switch on the router.

The usual IP address for the modem is http://192.168.100.1 password and user are both "root" (without the "s) probably won't help you, but the subnet mask that's in use on my particular modem is 255.255.248.0

You could use one of the ADSL routers as a wireless bridge, although this i've only ever managed once with my old Belkin ADSL Router. by plugging one port into the modem and then using the wireless to access the web when it's set to "bridge" mode. Setting this part up though, may not be easy. And, will only support one PC.