PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem/STB Query

Redjay1
25-11-2006, 12:45
I have an NTL Set Top Box downstairs and NTL cable modem upstairs for broadband access.

I have recently started using a Playstation 2 for playing network games (on my widescreen TV downstairs). To access the internet on my playstation- I have been taking my cable modem downstairs, connecting the NTL cable from the wall to it, then conecting to the PS2 via Ethernet cable. Which works ok.

What I want to do is connect my PS2 downstairs to the internet without farting about with bringing the cable modem downstairs. Can I connect via the Ethernet socket on the set top box? I have tried to do this but it doesnt seem to work. The only other way I can think of is to buy an extra long Ethernet cable and run it to the cable modem upstairs but I dont particularly want to do this either.

Is there any other way of doing this? What is the purpose of the Ethernet socket on the set top box if I cannot connect to the internet with it?

Cheers

MovedGoalPosts
25-11-2006, 13:28
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

The ethernet port on the STB will be disabled by ntl:telewest. Some users do get their broadband via the STB, but only those without a separate cable modem.

Your best option will be to get a broadband router, connect that to the cable modem, leaving that in it's current location upstairs. You can then run an ethernet cable to your PS2. Alternatively, get a wireless router, and a wireless adaptor for the PS2, and you can avoid the long ethernet cable altogether.