PDA

View Full Version : Sky, no phoneline?

dragon
24-11-2006, 20:06
Are sky still doing that thing where you pay £25 extra and then you don't need to connect the STB to the phoneline.

There is a phone socket near extension near the tv but its not wired into the current line (its wired to the old ntl line, that used to be here)

I know sky would run a cable to the BT line but its not my house and i don't really want them surfice wiring cables all along the skriting boards...

also theres a minidish already on the wall with all the cabling run in to a point on the wall near the tv (used to be sky at this address previously) if i orderd sky would they just bring a STB and plug it to the existing dish/cabling?

iain_herts
24-11-2006, 20:25
hi as long as u are only haveing stanard sky then yes u just pay the £25 but if u are haveing sky+ or skyHD then no u need a fone line

if there is a dish already there then the installer will use this to cut time but he/she is ment to replace the dish/LNB and the cable. as for all u know there maybe a fault on the cable of lnb as its old so should always be replaced so i would cut the cable if I was u and make sure he/she replaces the LNB

dragon
24-11-2006, 20:56
hi as long as u are only haveing stanard sky then yes u just pay the £25 but if u are haveing sky+ or skyHD then no u need a fone line

if there is a dish already there then the installer will use this to cut time but he/she is ment to replace the dish/LNB and the cable. as for all u know there maybe a fault on the cable of lnb as its old so should always be replaced so i would cut the cable if I was u and make sure he/she replaces the LNB

i hope they dont want to replace the cable... its been run inside the wall from what i can tell (well internerally anyway)
surely they'd test it after installtion though right?!?

Also how would i go about ordering if i don't want the box on the phoneline, can i order online or do i need to phone skys sales department.?

iain_herts
24-11-2006, 21:25
u will mostly find the installer will just reuse all the old stuff anyway to order im not to sure weather u can order it on the fine but i can do it on the fone no problem

Bengie
26-11-2006, 14:06
Can't you just run a bought extention lead and hide it under the carpet.
It would be favourite to have the phone connected for software updates etc:

iain_herts
26-11-2006, 22:51
software updates dont use the phone line that is all done by the satellite. The phone line is only there to activate the card at the installation police mulitroom subscriptions and any interactive content that requaires a phone line and also the sky+ remote record

Chrysalis
27-11-2006, 09:42
does sky+ get policed? I thought its just multiroom.

dragon
27-11-2006, 15:12
Can't you just run a bought extention lead and hide it under the carpet.
It would be favourite to have the phone connected for software updates etc:

no carpet its a wooden floor ;) if i could be bothered i could probbaly rewire teh socket next to the tv to the bt one but im lazy