PDA

View Full Version : My sky+ box is making a awful sound

Bill C
23-11-2006, 19:58
My Sky+ box has just started to make a awful noise. It sounds like a knocking sound and the box has crashed. Have tried rebooting, Turning off for 10 mins, It still makes the same noise. I have a feeling the hard drive has failed, Its a Thompson 160 box. Have been on the phone to Sky for 35 mins now and getting ****ed off with their bloody hold music. The box is 11 months old they better not try to charge me for the call out or try giving me a recon box.

If only Tvdrive was here now but my area is not going live till the new year :(

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

My Sky+ box has just started to make a awful noise. It sounds like a knocking sound and the box has crashed. Have tried rebooting, Turning off for 10 mins, It still makes the same noise. I have a feeling the hard drive has failed, Its a Thompson 160 box. Have been on the phone to Sky for 35 mins now and getting ****ed off with their bloody hold music. The box is 11 months old they better not try to charge me for the call out or try giving me a recon box.

If only Tvdrive was here now but my area is not going live till the new year :(

Ok up date

I now officially hate SKY. Finaly got through and yes the box is goosed. Then told if they find nothing wrong bla bla there will be a charge. That i can handle as i know the box is goosed.

Next came the bomb shell How would December the 8th be for a engineer in the morning :Yikes::Yikes::Yikes: what i said sorry sir but that the soonest we can get someone out. Have said yes but might have my cable package upgraded tomorrow and just dump the sky box in the bin and tell them to sod off in short jerky movements. Then get a TVdrive in January.

Sky you are officially CRAP

altis
23-11-2006, 20:02
Shhh... don't tell Proppin'

rick
23-11-2006, 21:44
Last time my box played up i called them to cancel subscription and was asked why.Told them i wasnt prepared to pay call out charge and they came out for free.Give it a try

CycoSymz
23-11-2006, 21:49
When i read the title of the thread, I thought you had tuned to MTV and they were playing Lily Allen. LOL

Bill C
23-11-2006, 21:54
Last time my box played up i called them to cancel subscription and was asked why.Told them i wasnt prepared to pay call out charge and they came out for free.Give it a try

I know there will be no charge as the box is goosed. However the date given for the engineer is total beyond a joke.

Have made my mind up will cancel the engineer tomorrow, upgrade my free ntl box that i have with my phone to the full package, Then tell Sky to shove there box where the sun does not shine. :)

Will order a TVdrive as soon as they are ready for my area.

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

When i read the title of the thread, I thought you had tuned to MTV and they were playing Lily Allen. LOL

If only :)

CycoSymz
23-11-2006, 22:05
According to BBC's Watchdog program there has been loads of complaints about SKY+ boxes breaking down. Some people have had over 5 replacement boxes in less than a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/services/services_20061114.shtml

Bill C
24-11-2006, 07:22
According to BBC's Watchdog program there has been loads of complaints about SKY+ boxes breaking down. Some people have had over 5 replacement boxes in less than a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/services/services_20061114.shtml

Well i can certainly vouch for the call times :(.

I have two calls to make today.

One to up my NTL package
One to cancel my Sky package

handyman
24-11-2006, 09:26
Well i can certainly vouch for the call times :(.

I have two calls to make today.

One to up my NTL package
One to cancel my Sky package

You should have got them to fix the box then you could have kept it as a freeview hdd recorder. Doh

Bill C
24-11-2006, 09:49
You should have got them to fix the box then you could have kept it as a freeview hdd recorder. Doh

Just finished on the phone with them. The outcome is they will NOT change the date for the engineer, So i said ok cancel my account and put the box on free channels only, no argument, no we will have another look, just you have to give 30 days notice. I have found a thread on digispy on fitting a new hard drive so will have a go at that and then just use the box as a free view box.

Can be without the recording feature for a month or two.

Paul
24-11-2006, 09:59
Changing the drive is not hard, you can buy drives that come with full instructions etc.

Bill C
24-11-2006, 10:10
Changing the drive is not hard, you can buy drives that come with full instructions etc.

:tu:

Looking into it now.