PDA

View Full Version : Can a router effect a BB Modem getting a ip address

slewis1972
22-11-2006, 20:49
Ok - had an issue along with a friend in the last week with modem dropping its ready light every know and again.

Anyway - I have a NTL engineer coming out this Sat

My mate who has the same issue and it started at approx the same time, has spoken with NTL tech support and they say its his wireless router - a Safecom one.

My router on the otherhand is a Netgear, and at least 3years old and never had an issue with it.

So - question, can a router stop a cable modem from getting an ip address/stop it functioning?

Scott

zing_deleted
22-11-2006, 20:51
I cant see how

Nedkelly
22-11-2006, 22:16
The esay way to test is to disconect you router and if it still does it .If it is still doing it ring faults get a tech out :tu:

Gavin78
22-11-2006, 23:14
I had this problem with a Belkin wirless router....there was a reset button at the back of the router...however it never really did anything when I pushed it other than reset the router...but it kept giving me an IP of 169...

tried the manual and online googling nothing came up...nearly called out an independant engineer cos fecking NTL tech bods sorry we can't get an engineer at the moment cos the tools are down...WTF!!!! how many times have I heard that one :mad:

anyway dont know what made me do it but this time I held down the reset button for about 30 secs rather than just pushing it in and the lights went all different...what do you know it was working find after that...

Dont know what NTL did at there side...IP change maybe sent my router cookoo but it works fine now...

Druchii
22-11-2006, 23:19
I had this problem with a Belkin wirless router....there was a reset button at the back of the router...however it never really did anything when I pushed it other than reset the router...but it kept giving me an IP of 169...

tried the manual and online googling nothing came up...nearly called out an independant engineer cos fecking NTL tech bods sorry we can't get an engineer at the moment cos the tools are down...WTF!!!! how many times have I heard that one :mad:

anyway dont know what made me do it but this time I held down the reset button for about 30 secs rather than just pushing it in and the lights went all different...what do you know it was working find after that...

Dont know what NTL did at there side...IP change maybe sent my router cookoo but it works fine now...
They did nothing, you just reset the router properly, you';re meant to hold them down for around 30secs to avoid accidental resets ;)

jaycee
23-11-2006, 10:31
If the RDY light is going out, there is a problem with the cable network side. A router has nothing to do with this, and it is one of the stock fob-off's that the Indian support guys come out with.

XFS03
23-11-2006, 12:06
Ok - had an issue along with a friend in the last week with modem dropping its ready light every know and again...Does the ready light go out for about a second or so, & then come back on?
There have been a few threads recently about this. It appears that changing the modulation to 256QAM is causing problems on some modems.

My ntl120 did this a few weeks ago & had to be swapped for a 250.

Gavin78
23-11-2006, 12:10
Wont be anything to do with the power levels will it?

Last year I had this problem I am in a flat only a small one about 4 flats intotal...

my modem rdy light kept going off all the time there was no set time and it would do it for like 10 mins or 8 hours before coming back on and working fine...took me a week to convince the tech bods to get an engineer to come out because as far as they were concerned they could see no fault at there side...

engineer came out couldn't find anything wrong...changed the modem anyway its the 250 version said the old one could be damaged....he left new modem worked fine for 20 mins then off it went again...took another week to get an engineer to come out....this guy came out couldn't find a fault either...said there was nothing he could do if he can't see anything wrong...

1 hour after he went off it goes again rdy light flashing can't cannect to net....calls them a 3rd time goes through the whole unplug modem for 30 secs reboot pc, like I hadn't done this 100's if times before...

finally has a go at them for not listening....tells me they will send an engineer out a 3rd time but I have to pay cos they say there was no fault at there side....

I was not happy about that....but agreed I just wanted it sorted...guy comes out and he had a laptop with him this time...also it was playing up when he got here "thank god" he hooked up the laptop to the modem and said ummmm your power levels are really low....

he went outside said he had found the problem there was one cable and it was attached to all 6-7 ppl in the other flats with a splitter....rather than run it on a seperate line..he said he found a seperate line and connected it to that and installed another modem...he left a card with the power levels on it and said any more probs let them know....it been working fine since...

apparently when the others were on the net it was taking the power kicking me off...

anyway I contact customer support to complain I was told it will be added into there system that was it...

I wrote a letter of complaint cos they charged me £25 and I lost nearly 4 weeks of internet....in compensation they offered me "1 free pay perview movie" I've been with NTL for about 8 years.....

customer support stinks if you ask me....

wafer_style
23-11-2006, 15:13
sorry to hear this buddy !! . you should have asked the helpdesk guys to check the power level and the no of times the modem has gone online [ these 2 factors help them to understand whether the conenction is intermittent or not ] . If you do not act smart u have to pay a price !! coz it's NTL :)