PDA

View Full Version : Supremely Annoyed

foxprorawks
22-11-2006, 19:33
Last week I telephoned NTL technical support because we have all problems all this month with a really slow connection (we are paying for 10Mb, but the speedtest on this site shows 0.04 Mb/s).

After a few tests, we agreed that an engineer would come out on Tuesday morning this week.

When my wife came back from work, we realised that she wouldn't be here on Tuesday, so we telephoned and rearranged for the engineer to come on Wednesday morning. Both of these telephone calls were made on the same day.

My wife took the morning off work, but the engineer didn't arrive. She telephoned and was told that the appointment had been cancelled by the customer. My wife was obviously pretty angry at being told this and telephoned me.

I 'phoned NTL and told them that we definitely didn't cancel the appointment. I was then told that the appointment may have been cancelled by accident by NTL, but that I could make another appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

This was no good to me, although my wife could again be home tomorrow morning. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing which culminated in me threatening to cancel if an engineer didn't arrive in the morning.

The person on the 'phone then told me that he could transfer me to customer services as they could unlock additional engineering resource.

When I was transferred to customer services, they weren't told what my call was about so I had to go through my story again. I was offered 3 months of broadband at half price (which, in retrospect, isn't that big an offer). The woman on the 'phone also said that it's possible NTL's system may be deleting appointments on its own :erm: and that customer services cannot do anything about engineering resource.

She had to transfer me back to engineering to arrange another appointment. I spoke to a third person and we have arranged for an engineer to come out on Sunday morning.

Is this really the standard of service at NTL, or have I just been unlucky?

Also, a quick question. We have an Ambit NTL 100 modem. I've noticed the following in the downstream status:

Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM

Is my modem fully compatible with 256 QAM?

Regardless of the answer to that, I'm hoping that the engineer will bring a new NTL 250 modem with him. If the modem needs replaced and he doesn't have a replacement with him, I won't be best pleased :mad:

Stuart
22-11-2006, 19:56
Sounds like you certainly need an engineer visit.

If you PM me your name, account number, address and a contact phone number, I'll refer this to the site's contacts within NTL.

foxprorawks
22-11-2006, 20:18
Thanks Stuart - PM sent.

kizzu
22-11-2006, 22:18
foxprorawks i know what u mean. i loved ntl until i didnt have to deal with them in person. i remember it clearly when a nice person at their customer service line told me my installation will take place on 16th of november. of course i took day off at work everything prepared just to find out on 14th that they are calling me to confirm whether i will be there surely, but on 15th. when i called to complain obviously they didnt know what happened, its really difficult to keep a company like that i suppose with bunch of irresponsible people. god they really need to change... im considering getting a refund, still have 3 weeks hehe. we'll see...

Nedkelly
22-11-2006, 22:20
I have been changing out tjets and ntl 100 modems in my aera .We have just had the qam changed to 256 in this aera :tu: seems there might be a problem with ntl 100s :Yikes:

EssDee
23-11-2006, 00:08
nedkelly

I have a 100 modem and have been suffering slow download speeds. Are you saying that this modem is not compatible with 256? If so, are ntl aware of this and pro-actively swapping out the modems or should I be calling CS and requesting an upgrade?

Cheers

foxprorawks
26-11-2006, 21:44
I have to say, NTL redeemed themselves with me today.

The engineer called this morning to say he was on his way.

When he arrived, he checked out pretty much everything you can think of - a really thorough job.

He fitted something to the cable to amplify the signal and swapped out my NTL 100 for an NTL 250.

He was here for about an hour checking the box outside etc.

A very good job - I'm a happy customer again ;)