PDA

View Full Version : Slow with particular email attachement problems

BuddyB
22-11-2006, 09:00
Hi,

I have a ntl broadband wireless network made up of a desktop PC and an old laptop. Both machines run Win XP, AVG anti-virus and are cleaned regularly with CCleaner, Spybot and Ad-aware. The desktop machine only has Outlook 2003 on it for email.

In theory the old laptop which only has a 6GB hard disk is supposed to be a back up to the desktop. My problem is the laptop works better than the desktop when it comes to the internet! The desktop internet connection is slow, so slow that sometimes I can go over to the laptop, visit the pages I need there in the time the desktop takes to changes screens. On the laptop I can have several copies of IE open at one time, but I wouldn't dream of bothering to try this on the desktop. My particular problem at the moment is with Outlook 2003 in that I can't download emails with large attachments (max 3MB). The download of messages cuts off and I get a message telling me the connection to the server was interrupted. However, every now and again an email with a large attachment will download without any problem. Only the desktop has Outlook on it because of the limited disk space on the laptop. I end up using the laptop to read these emails through webmail and then delete them so the rest of my emails can be downloaded on the desktop in Outlook 2003.

A few months ago we had our cable modem replaced as we kept losing our internet connection for long periods at a time. Things did seem to improve and we don't lose the connection anymore, but now I don't think it is working properly.

We are getting to the stage where if we want to work using the internet, we use the laptop which is ridiculous.

Before I get ntl out again, can anyone point me in the right direction on anything I should check to see if I can solve the problem myself?

Kind regards,

BuddyB

Toto
22-11-2006, 17:08
The fact that your laptop is getting a good connection and your PC isn't means you are wasting your time contacting ntl, the problem appears more local than that.

Have you tried a fresh O/S install on your PC?

What sort of specs does your PC have, memory, CPU etc?

BuddyB
27-11-2006, 15:58
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand why you are saying it is pointless getting ntl involved if the laptop is working ok. However, the point is the PC was working fine until the ntl engineer changed the cable modem and I don't know if he changed some settings that are now causing my current problems. I wasn't at home when the new modem was installed and my husband who is not particurly technical can't remember what the lights on the new modem mean. Unlike the old one, there is no obvious branding other than ntl on the new modem - it appears to be an ntl:home 120 and the light labels are PWE, USB, ENET, U/S, D/S, SYNC and RDY. I can work out what the labels mean, I just don't know what the lights mean when they are steady, flashing or off.

I don't want to do a fresh install of the O/S - that is a major step IMHO when it is my internet connection that appears to be causing the problem.

I run Win XP with 256 Mb RAM and an Intel Celeron 1.70GHz - perfectly adequate for my needs.

I'm really looking for guidance on what my settings should be to get the internet working properly again and be able to download larger emails without being cut off.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Kind regards,