PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ with 1 cable from dish?

hollerz
20-11-2006, 20:24
Hi, I'm thinking of getting multiroom, but i'm allready using 3 out of the 4 cables coming out of the sky dish (2 for our sky+ and 1 for the neighbour as they can't get a signal anywhere on their house).

I know Sky+ needs 2 cables, one to watch and one to record a different channel. Will a Sky+ box work with just one cable? I realize I'd only be able to watch/record one channel at once though.

Thanks,
Lee

jrhnewark
20-11-2006, 22:46
I'm not massively au fait with Sky+ recievers, but I imagine they need one cable for the watching tuner and one for the recording tuner - they wouldn't be able to share one. Or, at least, that's how I imagine it'd work. You can't just split the cable at the box end because of the way LNBs work (different frequencies, tuning properties, etc).

You can however get LNBs with more than four outputs - dunno if Sky would fit one or not? With a quick Google, it's fairly easy to find ones that'll give you eight feeds. :)

zing_deleted
20-11-2006, 22:48
:welcome: you will only be able to record the channel your watching you need a twin LNB. so as said you will have to source a 8 output or similar

Shaun
21-11-2006, 04:10
Hi, I'm thinking of getting multiroom, but i'm allready using 3 out of the 4 cables coming out of the sky dish (2 for our sky+ and 1 for the neighbour as they can't get a signal anywhere on their house).

I know Sky+ needs 2 cables, one to watch and one to record a different channel. Will a Sky+ box work with just one cable? I realize I'd only be able to watch/record one channel at once though.

Thanks,
Lee

I'm confused.

Are you wanting one Sky+ and one standard box (for you) and another standard box (for the neighbour). If so then a quad-LNB (which you must have at the moment to run your neighbours and your Sky+ off) will do.

If on the other hand you want 2 Sky+ and you neighbours standard box then you 'll need one of the new octo-LNBs like we have (one standard Sky for freesat and 2 Sky+ boxes). We got Customer Relations at Sky to organise it but if they won't play ball then you can get them off EBay for about £30. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Octo-LNB-8-Output-LNB-Ideal-for-Sky-Sky-and-Sky-HD_W0QQitemZ110058251595QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60838QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hollerz
21-11-2006, 12:33
Hi, sorry if I was unclear. Basically I was wondering if i could have 2 sky+ boxes and one standard sky for the neighbour, but only using one cable for one of the sky+ boxes, and I thought that would enable it to work, but only record/watch one channel at a time. Obviously it won't work so will ask about the octo-LNB when I ring up!

Graham M
21-11-2006, 12:56
You'd need an LNB with 8 Ports in that case really.

handyman
21-11-2006, 13:10
Hi, sorry if I was unclear. Basically I was wondering if i could have 2 sky+ boxes and one standard sky for the neighbour, but only using one cable for one of the sky+ boxes, and I thought that would enable it to work, but only record/watch one channel at a time. Obviously it won't work so will ask about the octo-LNB when I ring up!

I would also get the neighbour to pay for it since you would have been able to use a sky plus as normal if you had not leant them a port on your lnb.

iain_herts
21-11-2006, 20:25
if u are going to order it thought sky just mention to them u need a octo LNB also wen the engirneer call elso mention to him u will need a octo LNB each sky van should have 2 on board if not he should call around his team and see if any of them have any or his team coach will have 1

or u could even have another dish installed by sky