PDA

View Full Version : swapping usb and ethernet

mreko
20-11-2006, 18:51
Hi,

Can anyone help with swapping over the ethernet port on a telewest cable modem? My mate has been connecting using USB but he's just bought a linksys wireless router and so wants to stop using the usb port and use the ethernet one but it appears to be dead.

The linksys router dosen't pickup settings from the modem and also when he tries connecting his laptop directly to the modem the ethernet network connection icon in windows reports that the network cable is disconnected.

This is what he did

1. Powered down the laptop
2. Powered down the modem
3. Disconnected the usb cable
4. Connected the ethernet cable
5. Powered up the modem waited untill it was connected.
6. Turned on the laptop.

Has anybody come accross this before? Is there something that he is doing wrong or is the port dead?

Thanks

gavin pullen
20-11-2006, 18:59
hmmmmmm

Graham M
20-11-2006, 19:05
hmmmmmm

Excellent Post.

To the OP: Is the router a Cable/DSL Router? As a ADSL Modem Router won't work.

MovedGoalPosts
20-11-2006, 19:13
:welcome: mreko to Cable Forum :tu:

If the modem will not offer a connection to either the router (assuming that is a cable broadband router - can you post the model number?) and won't speak to the ethernet port of a lappy (I assume the lappy network connection is enabled in the netowkring settings), and you've done the power off power on cyucling for the modem, only two things are left:

The ethernet cable is at fault: can you try another - straight, not crossover

The modem is at fault - I've seen it happen. If the latter phone faults who should send an engineer to replace it. Just say you need to use an ethernet connection but you can't as nothing will connect, including different computers.

dcclanuk
20-11-2006, 19:23
:welcome: mreko to Cable Forum :tu:

If the modem will not offer a connection to either the router (assuming that is a cable broadband router - can you post the model number?) and won't speak to the ethernet port of a lappy (I assume the lappy network connection is enabled in the netowkring settings), and you've done the power off power on cyucling for the modem, only two things are left:

The ethernet cable is at fault: can you try another - straight, not crossover

The modem is at fault - I've seen it happen. If the latter phone faults who should send an engineer to replace it. Just say you need to use an ethernet connection but you can't as nothing will connect, including different computers.

Actually I had the same problem.
It wouldnt connect via ethernet after changing from USB.
a reformat of the comp and it started working!:(:confused:

mreko
20-11-2006, 19:27
it's a cable modem Motorola SB5101E.

MovedGoalPosts
20-11-2006, 19:36
That's the modem, what is your Linksys router?

mreko
20-11-2006, 19:45
it's a Linksys WRT54GS.

MovedGoalPosts
20-11-2006, 19:47
Ok, just wanted to be certain that what you had should work, and yep that lot should work.

I'm suspicious that the modem has failed, only final way to preconfirm that would be to connect a PC direct via ethernet, with that PC having bee newly formatted. Seems a long shot though if both router and lappy won't connect so I'd be calling faults.

mreko
20-11-2006, 19:55
ok cheers Rob C thanks for your help

janipewter
21-11-2006, 06:24
Connect the modem to the router whilst the router is on, power on the modem, wait until it has fully booted and then power down the router and power it back up again.