PDA

View Full Version : 10 MB for All in December

tucker61
19-11-2006, 10:37
Are NTL still going ahead with the 10 MB plan and charging for the amount you actually download ?

If so any dates available ?

Zee
19-11-2006, 10:40
This is what rumours are floating about...

2Mb > 4Mb/5Mb
4Mb > 10Mb + 512K upload
10Mb > 20Mb + 1Mb upload
New 50Mb service

All this is happening anytime between December & Feb

Carth
19-11-2006, 11:49
And are there any rumours about instant upgrades of modems that are presently incapable of the new speeds ?

fireman328
19-11-2006, 12:02
What will happen to the people like me trapped on 1 meg by a PACE box ?

zing_deleted
19-11-2006, 12:11
you will go "hello Mr NTL I want to cancel my subscription to all your services because I feel im being let down by the speed on the dated pace box"
"ok Mr Fireman ill put you through to retentions"
"hello MR Fireman is there anyway we can keep you"
"yes give me a modem and a faster speed oh and throw in a discount and ill stay"
"ok MR Fireman we can do that have a nice day"

Well I hope anyway lol lol

SnoopZ
19-11-2006, 12:13

I think you should of phoned up to get that replaced ages ago and get a modem installed. If they try and charge you for it, say you want to cancel your service as you're not receiving what your paying for. More often than not you will then get a free modem upgrade. :)

[edit]

Zingle you're to damn fast mate! ;)

zing_deleted
19-11-2006, 12:14
I think you should of phoned up to get that replaced ages ago and get a modem installed. If they try and charge you for it, say you want to cancel your service as you're not receiving what your paying for. More often than not you will then get a free modem upgrade. :)

Beat ya and I made mine funny (well maybe) ;)

dranny69
19-11-2006, 12:56
This is what rumours are floating about...

2Mb > 4Mb/5Mb
4Mb > 10Mb + 512K upload
10Mb > 20Mb + 1Mb upload
New 50Mb service

All this is happening anytime between December & Feb
:erm: sorry to seem a bit dim :dozey: but are you saying that if your on 2 meg you get a free upgrade to 4 and if your on 4 you get 10 meg etc etc....???

SnoopZ
19-11-2006, 12:59
:erm: sorry to seem a bit dim :dozey: but are you saying that if your on 2 meg you get a free upgrade to 4 and if your on 4 you get 10 meg etc etc....???

That's the rumour.

dranny69
19-11-2006, 13:03
that would be oh so sweet. where`s the rumour come from???

Bill C
19-11-2006, 13:09
that would be oh so sweet. where`s the rumour come from???

Plucked out of the box marked NTL rumour of the day :LOL:

SnoopZ
19-11-2006, 13:10
Plucked out of the box marked NTL rumour of the day :LOL:

lol :D

Sherlock614
19-11-2006, 15:40
Lets just cross everything and hope it comes true :)

Locky
19-11-2006, 15:55
i hope the top ter (currently 10 meg) does not change price at all and the others going to the 10 meg i hope the caps are small...

Martyn H
19-11-2006, 20:33
I'd rather stay on my alleged 4Mb speed but pay less.

jonifen
19-11-2006, 21:09
I'd rather stay on my alleged 4Mb speed but pay less.
I second that preference. Although it is "upto" 10Mb, so I'll probably still get 4Mb, its just branded differently :/

ikthius
19-11-2006, 21:20
I second that preference. Although it is "upto" 10Mb, so I'll probably still get 4Mb, its just branded differently :/

i third it

ik

SnoopZ
19-11-2006, 21:22
You should be able to downgrade to the lower tier then when/if 2mbit is upgraded to 4/5mbit. :)

Chrysalis
19-11-2006, 22:02
I can see all 3 tiers getting a speedboost but not 10mbit across the board.

Zee
19-11-2006, 22:31
From an NTL associate from another forum...

TheCrow
20-11-2006, 22:22
I can't believe everyone is so excited about a speed increase. Lets face it, the networks obviously cant handle the speeds it supposed to at the moment? How the hell will it cope with more!

AndrewJ
20-11-2006, 23:20
I can't believe everyone is so excited about a speed increase. Lets face it, the networks obviously cant handle the speeds it supposed to at the moment? How the hell will it cope with more!

Agreed more than 100%, the network is crippled right now, everyday entire areas are suffering outage and every day people including myself experience not only slower speeds as I can handle drop to 8mb but drops to about 1mb speeds with barely any upload, and yet NTL instead of buckling down and upgrading the network to handle these speeds, increase the speeds for the sake of being on TV with a high numbered speed for the PCworld type of computer owners who know only what they're told.

It is a joke that such a company can take the **** out of the customers as much as NTL are doing with this news on 10mb for all, the 20mb trials the 50mb rumors, the network barely handles it's current customers on 10mb, their custom service and tech departments and barely handle the customers they have, their network is crippled through all tiers, and they want to add more pressure?

I seriously take my hat off to the techincal guys on their servers :tu: the pressure they're likely under from the fat cats who are only interested in profit is unreal, no doubt NTL will do this increase after increase rake in a HUGE profit and then the top men will sell out and retire rich leaving a company of disgruntled customers and a forever damaged reputation.

If in my area I could get a decent broadband service without NTL I would do but I hate BT and I hate NTL, but I am with NTL now and I don't plan on changing but I just wished to state my view.

SnoopZ
20-11-2006, 23:23
All ok in Cambridge :)

AndrewJ
20-11-2006, 23:24

Lucky you.

NEONKNIGHT
20-11-2006, 23:26

:clap:

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Complete crap in Cheshire.

Sherlock614
20-11-2006, 23:36
It's been ok for me since i swapped proxies... :)

AndrewJ
21-11-2006, 00:17
It's been ok for me since i swapped proxies... :)

Until that one breaks yeah, why should be mess about with proxies when they spend millions on their coffee breaks.
SORT YOUR NETWORKS OUT NTL BEFORE UPGRADING THE SPEEDS ON THEM

DocDutch
21-11-2006, 07:22
oi Felinix I can read this from about 10 meters away :) lets hope NTL will find it :P

saying that I havent had any issues with my speeds :D

Dean Ashton
21-11-2006, 13:48
I'm also in Cambridge, but have mixed experiences at the moment. I download some stuff (not much, maybe a couple of TV episodes a week) from Easynews.. and for the past 2 weeks I've noticed what I guess is the result of traffic shaping. Download speeds go to around 100KB/s from mid-afternoon until later in the evening (say, 3pm to 10pm-ish). And that's 100KB using 3 connections (via GetRight).. pretty severe shaping, I reckon.

Off work today, and speeds seem decent (~400KB/sec).. but based on what I'm getting, I can't see how a 10MB speed increase will benefit me.. :(

Dean

p.s. Is there a list somewhere that says what traffic shaping configurations are in effect? Sites, protocols, times etc?

RileyM
21-11-2006, 14:28

Yeh, same here. I always see people saying they aren't getting the advertised speeds with ntl. But yet, i'm in Cambridge and always get the full speed i'm subscribed to (currently 4MB).

Cozzy
21-11-2006, 14:34
HI

on Telewest myself (10Mb) but dont see much point going upto 20Mb if they bring in the traffic management as they are now trialling (see post in Telewest Throttling)

what will be the point of higher speeds if its crippled by throttling ?

more speed is great but it = more restrictions = less freedom of choice = no point in having a higher speed as you cant do what you want with it

bad move ntl:Telewest / Virgin Media whatever you wish to be called but expect will be a few choice swear words before long .. lol

Cozzy

DerekRothwell
21-11-2006, 18:04
Seems there are a few on here want to download stuff before its actually been written.

I guess the speed freaks are looking for the same sort of computers and speeds they see on the Starship Enterprise.

AntiSilence
21-11-2006, 18:07

[edit]

Zingle you're to damn fast mate! ;)

I don't think Zing is human. I think he's a robot/cyborg or something. Look out for some signs like the words "I'll be back" at the bottom of his posts. :D

SnoopZ
21-11-2006, 18:25
I don't think Zing is human. I think he's a robot/cyborg or something. Look out for some signs like the words "I'll be back" at the bottom of his posts. :D

:D

Nikesh
22-11-2006, 17:29
I doubt everyone will get 10mb in December, there is no way their network can cope with it but I do think that the broadband speeds will get increased again once they become Virgin Media. I just wish they would increase the upload speeds! I hope they don't bring traffic management into it though. :td:

Nikesh

Bill C
22-11-2006, 18:01
I hope they don't bring traffic management into it though. :td:

Nikesh

They already have.

punky
22-11-2006, 18:08
In the OP, he/she/it mentioned pay as you download.

Does anyone know if the rumours include all tiers now or just certain ones or even any?

TheCrow
22-11-2006, 19:27
They already have.

This i can back up 100% My traffic is shaped from 6pm onwards. If after 6pm i start up a torrent or limewire the traffic slows right down and i can barely manage 1mb download. But ntl state that normal traffic such as browsing, etc are not shaped. Well mine is! As soon as a torrent etc are started the internet is unusable, a waste of ime.

But if this is what it takes to make the internet run smoothly and fair for everybody then i must applaud them. Simply leave your torrents or whatever running at non peak hours. Simple.

But when i try just normal browsing and nothing else, and it is barely any quicker than dial up im mad. Why i waste £35 a month for dial up speeds i have no idea! Why do i waste £35 a month for them to not even care when some little ******* kid chucks a firework in the ubr because it has been bust open and left for two months? Simple! Because unfortunately even tho they are crap at times, 75% of the time they are better than other isps.

But planning on upping the sppeds is just mental!

Hang on a minute, my 1980 vauxhall nova is just about to fall apart, i know lets make it better and put a 4 litre chevy in it! Lets watch it properly fall apart!

wlmlb
22-11-2006, 20:38
Mine is OK at the moment.

Nikesh
22-11-2006, 21:28
They already have.

Damn, well if its for the benefit of everyone, I suppose it's a good thing. :)

Nikesh

Bill C
22-11-2006, 21:43
Damn, well if its for the benefit of everyone, I suppose it's a good thing. :)

Nikesh

Fully agree

kizzu
22-11-2006, 22:13
im completely green about technical sides of broadband but thanks TheCrow now i understand why my torrents are slower than slow. I didnt know about such a brilliant invention as traffic shaping! thats why i was wondering why i had a massive download speeds when i was on 8mpbs homechoice ADSL few months ago, now i decided to join the great cable NTL and what i got? traffic shaping god.... whats ****ing me off is that traffic shaping shapes my life in wrong way haha. if i have 2 torrents on websites load like on dialup and im on 10mbps for 35 pounds. im considering using my ace - refund request hehe. do you know whether Be Broadband or Bulldog (because these two adsl are availble where I live) are any good?

mcmanic
23-11-2006, 00:02
IMHO anyone who pays top whack for fastest level of service is mad when they are being traffic shaped. Basically your paying for the privilege of having the best service available but being told you cannot use it to its full effect. This is why i downgraded to 4 meg months ago, may be slower, still effected by traffic shaping but at least i'm saving some cash. I think the more people that cotton on to this will follow suit and would rather pay less for a sub standerd service as there is and will be no incentive to pay top teir prices for such a shoddy service/traffic shaping

AndrewJ
23-11-2006, 00:09
IMHO anyone who pays top whack for fastest level of service is mad when they are being traffic shaped. Basically your paying for the privilege of having the best service available but being told you cannot use it to its full effect. This is why i downgraded to 4 meg months ago, may be slower, still effected by traffic shaping but at least i'm saving some cash. I think the more people that cotton on to this will follow suit and would rather pay less for a sub standerd service as there is and will be no incentive to pay top teir prices for such a shoddy service/traffic shaping

The single reason I have 10mb right now, even though its slower then a dead donkey with no legs with a oncoming wind, is for the upload, I have two pc's going and I game on bf2142 and my partner users chat/msn and yahoo webcam with her friends so I need the upload.

If ntl did for £24,99 4mb down 512k up I would downgrade the monent they was open tommorow.

ZrByte
23-11-2006, 02:21
This i can back up 100% My traffic is shaped from 6pm onwards. If after 6pm i start up a torrent or limewire the traffic slows right down and i can barely manage 1mb download. But ntl state that normal traffic such as browsing, etc are not shaped. Well mine is! As soon as a torrent etc are started the internet is unusable, a waste of ime.

But if this is what it takes to make the internet run smoothly and fair for everybody then i must applaud them. Simply leave your torrents or whatever running at non peak hours. Simple.

But when i try just normal browsing and nothing else, and it is barely any quicker than dial up im mad. Why i waste £35 a month for dial up speeds i have no idea! Why do i waste £35 a month for them to not even care when some little ******* kid chucks a firework in the ubr because it has been bust open and left for two months? Simple! Because unfortunately even tho they are crap at times, 75% of the time they are better than other isps.

But planning on upping the sppeds is just mental!

Hang on a minute, my 1980 vauxhall nova is just about to fall apart, i know lets make it better and put a 4 litre chevy in it! Lets watch it properly fall apart!

Try limiting your upload in your P2P program to 90% of your total upload rate, should sort out that problem you are having as that has nothing to do with traffic shaping.

Rone
23-11-2006, 11:18
im completely green about technical sides of broadband but thanks TheCrow now i understand why my torrents are slower than slow. I didnt know about such a brilliant invention as traffic shaping! thats why i was wondering why i had a massive download speeds when i was on 8mpbs homechoice ADSL few months ago, now i decided to join the great cable NTL and what i got? traffic shaping god.... whats ****ing me off is that traffic shaping shapes my life in wrong way haha. if i have 2 torrents on websites load like on dialup and im on 10mbps for 35 pounds. im considering using my ace - refund request hehe. do you know whether Be Broadband or Bulldog (because these two adsl are availble where I live) are any good?

I would sooner have no internet than be with Bulldog again, in fact while i was with them it pretty well was like having no internet.
Ok when it worked it was a good speed, but nearly 3 weeks total downtime over a 3 month period is hardly reliable.[ and that meant no phone either on their package].
If you ever think NTL is crap, just try some others,

sav112
23-11-2006, 22:59
Hope this is true, I host fm07 clan games over mine and its not too hot in glasgow at times!....

TheCrow
24-11-2006, 01:05
Try limiting your upload in your P2P program to 90% of your total upload rate, should sort out that problem you are having as that has nothing to do with traffic shaping.

Yeah i have tried this allready mate and it didn't change anything! I even limited my upload to just 10kbps and it was still like browsing on dial up.

To be fair i can see why they trafic shape as if i was hogging all the bandwidth the rest of my street would be pretty ****ed off!

If there is anything i do want to download i'll just do it at non peak times. Its not that much of a hardship.

ZrByte
24-11-2006, 01:20
Yeah i have tried this allready mate and it didn't change anything! I even limited my upload to just 10kbps and it was still like browsing on dial up.

To be fair i can see why they trafic shape as if i was hogging all the bandwidth the rest of my street would be pretty ****ed off!

If there is anything i do want to download i'll just do it at non peak times. Its not that much of a hardship.

sounds like you may have some other type of connection issue or an area wide problem? Traffic shaping wouldnt effect web browsing, and if it did it wouldnt be dependant on wether you where using your p2p or not as it doesnt throttle your whole connection, just the ports and data types being used by your p2p.

disgruntled empl
24-11-2006, 02:16
i wouldnt gt your hopes up for 10mb for all. to the best of my knowledge, that idea was dead in the water months ago.

sav112
24-11-2006, 17:24
As with the other upgrades, there is always some truth even if very small on the grape vine!

I have faith in the others information, because its to easy to trace back who said what and if they were giving us usful info, if not who would give them a second again on here, i for one would not......

GeoffW
24-11-2006, 20:17
I seem to recall them promising 10Mb/ for all users by the end of the year. This may have changed as a result of Virgin, but why dont they have the gumption to say it's changed rather than hope everyone forgets about their previous promises?

pachelbel
24-11-2006, 20:47
NTL have to compete in the isp service world. The ordinary Joe public who has no knowledge of computers and broadband will go by what is advertised . NTL will therefore have to compete with the likes of BT who specify up to 8Mb. This means that 10Mb will surely be the bottom tier just to compete on the same level. The people who tend to respond to cableforum are not joe public and and tend to be technical in many instances. With the likes of Sky and Carphone Warehouse muscling in this sector NTL have no option but to raise their game and attract those that do not reply to this forum. 10Mb will be basic service with NTL sooner or later. I think much sooner than people think.

markknell
24-11-2006, 20:54
I can't wait for the 100 mbit service, it might work like the 10 mbit is supposed too. At the momment I may as well be on 2 mbit. A complete waste of money.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/15.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

pachelbel
24-11-2006, 21:17
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/16.png

This is the norm i get throughout the day. However post 6pm browsing does seem to slow down as does p2p downloads even with the above results. Other members of the family on AOL using BT line also suffer speed issues after 6pm so this seems to be a general issue. Throttling seems to be the norm these days.

markknell
24-11-2006, 21:24
Yeah but I'm supposed to be on 10 mbit not 1 or 2 mbit. Even with peak time traffic should produce better results than 1200 kb/s.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/15.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/16.png

This is the norm i get throughout the day. However post 6pm browsing does seem to slow down as does p2p downloads even with the above results. Other members of the family on AOL using BT line also suffer speed issues after 6pm so this seems to be a general issue. Throttling seems to be the norm these days.

pachelbel
24-11-2006, 21:44
Yeah but I'm supposed to be on 10 mbit not 1 or 2 mbit. Even with peak time traffic should produce better results than 1200 kb/s.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/15.png (http://www.speedtest.net/)

I agree. I keep reading cableforum issues regarding speed issues but i can honestly say that my connection has been consistent since i joined NTL 18 months ago. The only problem i have is i should be on 2Meg after the 1Meg upgrade but ended up with 10Meg for which i now have a second account along with my 3 for £30. Having spoke to CS i hope it has been rectified. All this does not help people with slow speeds and i can only hope that you resolve your poor service.

Zee
24-11-2006, 22:04
I'm happy with my 10Mbps connection at the moment :)

1st 512K took 391 ms = 1309.5 KB/sec, approx 10790 Kbps, 10.54 Mbps
2nd 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps
3rd 512K took 454 ms = 1127.8 KB/sec, approx 9293 Kbps, 9.08 Mbps
4th 512K took 421 ms = 1216.2 KB/sec, approx 10021 Kbps, 9.79 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9940 Kbps, 9.71 Mbps

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/14.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Phill70
24-11-2006, 22:09
Had a call from BT today offering upto 8mb, rang C/S and they put me onto 10mb for three months, free.
not sorted yet though
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/13.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

SnoopZ
25-11-2006, 00:11
Had a call from BT today offering upto 8mb, rang C/S and they put me onto 10mb for three months, free.
not sorted yet though
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/13.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Try powering off your modem for 30seconds then on again and let settle for 1 minute. Check your Operation Config at http://192.168.100.1/ login/password both root. If you're on 10mbit you should see Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000.

kar
25-11-2006, 06:33
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/12.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I'd just like my (supposed) 4M broadband. Right now I'm like on the original ISDN :(

updater
25-11-2006, 09:20
I have just got -
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/11.png

Which is nice. :)
The guy from NTL phoned me at 8:30, to say my phone was working again. They promised 8am to 4pm, so that's what I call fast service. :tu:

Rick

OL1V3R
25-11-2006, 09:49
I have just got -
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/11.png

Which is nice. :)
The guy from NTL phoned me at 8:30, to say my phone was working again. They promised 8am to 4pm, so that's what I call fast service. :tu:

Rick

I'm glad NTL have upped the upload speed for the 2meg -> 4meg upgrade. 200kbit just wouldn't have been able to do it!

Rik
25-11-2006, 11:32
Agreed more than 100%, the network is crippled right now, everyday entire areas are suffering outage and every day people including myself experience not only slower speeds as I can handle drop to 8mb but drops to about 1mb speeds with barely any upload, and yet NTL instead of buckling down and upgrading the network to handle these speeds, increase the speeds for the sake of being on TV with a high numbered speed for the PCworld type of computer owners who know only what they're told.

It is a joke that such a company can take the **** out of the customers as much as NTL are doing with this news on 10mb for all, the 20mb trials the 50mb rumors, the network barely handles it's current customers on 10mb, their custom service and tech departments and barely handle the customers they have, their network is crippled through all tiers, and they want to add more pressure?

I seriously take my hat off to the techincal guys on their servers :tu: the pressure they're likely under from the fat cats who are only interested in profit is unreal, no doubt NTL will do this increase after increase rake in a HUGE profit and then the top men will sell out and retire rich leaving a company of disgruntled customers and a forever damaged reputation.

If in my area I could get a decent broadband service without NTL I would do but I hate BT and I hate NTL, but I am with NTL now and I don't plan on changing but I just wished to state my view.

Hertfordshire rock solid on 10meg and has always been rock solid for the past 3 yrs, full speed 24/7 so the network is not on its knees like everyone likes to make out.

Obviously lots of people have problems, I understand that, but theres millions of people who have rock steady connections and have done ever since they joined NTL.

NOW PLEASE NTL CAN I HAVE 20/50Meg!! ;)

The Jackal
25-11-2006, 11:59
10 MB for All in December

COME ON TELL ME THIS IS NOT TRUE ? THIS IS SERIOUSLY F*CT UP.

NTL/TELEWEST PLEASE DONT DO THIS - YOU JUST DONT HAVE THE CAPACITY ON YOUR AILING NETWORK INSTEAD FOR CHRISTMAS CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A NETWORK THAT IS FREE WITH LOW LATENCY ?

I'VE ALREADY HAD TO DOWNGRADE FROM 10MEG TO 2MEG JUST TO GET SOME STABILITY OUT OF YOUR SERVICE : PLEASE DONT SUBJECT US TO POOR NETWORK PERFORMANCE OVER DECEMBER.

tubbles
26-11-2006, 13:52
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/7.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I am on the 4mb service and apart from some times at peak hours i have to admit that my connection is pretty solid. I have, in the past had to do some proxy switching which, i don't think should be up to me to do cos i AM paying for the service. But, that said i am pretty happy with internet speed. Pages sometimes are really slow to load and it gets annoying but i am only on the 4mb service and my heart goes out to you guys paying top whack for an insulting 10mb service but we all have choices and unless you guys use it for business, You should just cut back to the service that works at the right speed. That will hit NTL where it hurts and thats the pocket maybe and only maybe then they will get their fingers out.

swapshop1
27-11-2006, 10:47
Lincoln performs excellently, 10mb achieves full speed all times of the day. using newservers 1 thread pulls at 6-8 Mbit/s. on occaision i got 9Mbit. Using 2 threads gives me a steady 10Mbit. A dvd in hours instead of days.

Lincoln is a spur from Nottingham i believe, plenty of capacity here. Maybe its because there are only a few people connected to my local cabinet.... Eitherway Ntl are providing an excellent service to me. Roll on 20Mbit

Rik
27-11-2006, 13:24
Roll on 20Mbit

Hear Hear!

The sooner its brought to Hemel Hemptead the better ;)

Keep up the good work NTL! :D

LenMackin
27-11-2006, 13:33
At long last, certainly in the daytime, I am now seeing the old download figures that i achieved until September being realised again. I am on 10mb in the Warwick area. It's been rubbish for about 8 weeks. I think i need to do something however as i hear that my Terayon TJ210 CM is unable to go above 8mb! Now this modem has served me since May 2001 and has been reliable and brilliant but with changes to the service by NTL it does surprise me that they leave me with an old modem than will never ever work with the new speeds. So, in theory i could sign on for 20mb service if it existed wonder why i never got more than 8? Customer service... not really! At £34.99 a month i do think we should automatically get the equipment that can work correctly, after all i have to rely on NTL as i can't nip on Amazon and buy myself a new one can I?

gc7
27-11-2006, 13:49
My 10MB has been solid too, except for the 5 day blip last week, but I have been compensated for that and am more than happy now.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to the 20MB download speed but would definately be interested in some more upload speed.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/6.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

d0pey
27-11-2006, 14:10
No problems here in Merseyside.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/5.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

setch
27-11-2006, 15:18
It is pretty stable in Harlow also.

Uncle Peter
27-11-2006, 16:36
Browsing is solid in Cheshire but that's just a measure that you have a good connection via the web proxies. Try uploading/downloading P2P or NNTP and it might be a different story altogether.

Fawkes
27-11-2006, 16:58
Well I getting very high packet loss in South Manchester, again!

Ping statistics for 212.58.228.155:
Packets: Sent = 84, Received = 51, Lost = 33 (39% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 105ms, Average = 25ms

I don't need more than 10MB right now, what I want is to be able to browse the net and up and download files.

Some of the problems at the moment seem to be caused by a painfully slow upload. When I first joined NTL I had 512k download and 128k upload (ratio of 4:1). Now I have (when it working) 10MB download and 512K upload (ratio of 20:1).

STOP increasing the download and increase the upload a bit!

micken
27-11-2006, 18:04
Well I getting very high packet loss in South Manchester, again!

Ping statistics for 212.58.228.155:
Packets: Sent = 84, Received = 51, Lost = 33 (39% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 105ms, Average = 25msI don't need more than 10MB right now, what I want is to be able to browse the net and up and download files.

Some of the problems at the moment seem to be caused by a painfully slow upload. When I first joined NTL I had 512k download and 128k upload (ratio of 4:1). Now I have (when it working) 10MB download and 512K upload (ratio of 20:1).

STOP increasing the download and increase the upload a bit!

:gpoint:

I agree, I'm on 10Mb and get similar stability and speed to the recent quotes. A 4:1 ratiofor DL:UL would sort out my p2p & surfing needs quite nicely.

Just-
27-11-2006, 20:21
so as we approach more December is this rumour for real any more ?

etccarmageddon
27-11-2006, 20:58
it was never a rumour but actually from the horses mouth 18 months ago.

www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard

nho1993
28-11-2006, 00:58
very stable in bracknell :)

fireman328
28-11-2006, 09:01
Spare a thought for us poor saps with PACE boxes trapped on 1 meg !

georgepomone
28-11-2006, 09:30
Hi All,
after having put up with download on 10MB no better than 2MB I have downgraded to 2MB. I'm not one who moans for the sake of moaning but I have been paying for 10MB and get no better than 2 so might just as well pay for 2.
I was surprised that the speed at 2 is rock steady.You pay for 2 you get 2. The times I've heard that it is up to 10MB. If I got 6 or 8 it would be acceptable but I was getting less than 2 at times. This has been for months.I'll go back to 10 when they can supply it.
Things will certainly have to change in a big way.
George.

Fawkes
28-11-2006, 09:32
Spare a thought for us poor saps with PACE boxes trapped on 1 meg !

Phone NTL tell them you want 10MB and they will give you an NTL 250 modem, how is that trapped?

Bill C
28-11-2006, 10:52
Phone NTL tell them you want 10MB and they will give you an NTL 250 modem, how is that trapped?

My feelings as well :tu:

lakeybloke
28-11-2006, 14:45
..because they are still charging 50quid for the bloody modem, presumably! ???

Locky
28-11-2006, 15:09
..because they are still charging 50quid for the bloody modem, presumably! ???

i didnt think there a charge incurred when your current ntl supplied hardware can not deliver the speed you are subscribed too ?

etccarmageddon
28-11-2006, 15:59
there is no charge as far as I'm aware of - you just ring up and ask to have a cable modem.

pooper
28-11-2006, 16:23
*stamps feet* where's my 20mb dag nammit! :D

FusionXN1
28-11-2006, 16:36
Maybe December ;)

Bill C
28-11-2006, 16:43
Maybe December ;)

Or maybe not ;)

Locky
28-11-2006, 17:04
Or maybe not ;)

haha yeah probably they liek to drag feet, jus like ITV andl ook were that got them

FusionXN1
28-11-2006, 18:29
haha yeah probably they liek to drag feet, jus like ITV andl ook were that got them

I see December or February.

dtweek
28-11-2006, 18:51
lakeybloke (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/member.php?u=1954) if you phone NTL and report the fact you're not getting the 2meg you are paying for and get them to recommend a cable modem you'll get it for Free. If you call CS and say you simply want one they'll then charge you £50 for it.

I called today and reported it as a fault, Modem is being installed next week and they've also upgraded me to 10 meg for 3 months for no extra charge. I will need to call them up and have it put back to the lowest service after 3 months, but if this thread is true then everyone will be getting 10meg in 3 months anyway.
I'm quite pleased with this obviously as it gives me 10meg now and costs me nothing.

I'm a happy punter today.

Anyway can anyone confirm that we'll all be getting 10 meg in the next 3 months?

Bill C
28-11-2006, 18:53
I see December or February.

Oh i could be evil and say "i dont".

Wonder how far that would get as a rumour.

To be honest i have no idea at all if this is true or false ;)

I have heard absolutely nothing at all about any upgrades downgrades or side grades :)

Please don't go screaming to NTL now saying such and such said it not happening. I repeat i don't know :)

And anyway i want 20 meg not 10meg :LOL:

FusionXN1
29-11-2006, 01:12
Oh i could be evil and say "i dont".

Wonder how far that would get as a rumour.

To be honest i have no idea at all if this is true or false ;)

I have heard absolutely nothing at all about any upgrades downgrades or side grades :)

Please don't go screaming to NTL now saying such and such said it not happening. I repeat i don't know :)

If we get it, we get it, if we don't, we don't. Simple. Just when I think if it does happen--that's when.

Rik
29-11-2006, 01:44

Hear! Hear! ;)

kingdeacon
30-11-2006, 10:25
Hi, my first post. After finding this site and reading some of the posts I thought i would give ntl a call to see if i could get a better deal, and i did. I currently have tv(full package) phone and 4MB BB with ntl costing £73.50 per month, after phoning this morning and saying i wanted to go to sky where i could get all the same but 8mb bb for £69.50 inc bt line rental, they have slashed my bill by £17.50 per month for 6 months and upgraded me to 10mb bb for free for 3 months. Which i thought was dam good!
The person i spoke to in customer relations said in january they are going to have new higher speeds on there BB and the lowest will be 4MB, with the current 4MB going to 10mb, and 10MB which im now on for 3 months will become 20MB, I asked if there would be one higher than 20mb to which he said yes but not in january, 2 or 3 months later there will be a 50MB service.
I just got to wait 3 weeks now! for the first free slot to have my free modem fitted as i only got the samsung box at the mo, must be alot of people doing this if its a 3 week wait!
oh one more thing what upload will i be getting with 10MB BB?

Rob
Brighton

mcilwraith
30-11-2006, 11:48
if true, very interesting! thanks for the info! roll on 4Mb.

Hi, my first post. After finding this site and reading some of the posts I thought i would give ntl a call to see if i could get a better deal, and i did. I currently have tv(full package) phone and 4MB BB with ntl costing £73.50 per month, after phoning this morning and saying i wanted to go to sky where i could get all the same but 8mb bb for £69.50 inc bt line rental, they have slashed my bill by £17.50 per month for 6 months and upgraded me to 10mb bb for free for 3 months. Which i thought was dam good!
The person i spoke to in customer relations said in january they are going to have new higher speeds on there BB and the lowest will be 4MB, with the current 4MB going to 10mb, and 10MB which im now on for 3 months will become 20MB, I asked if there would be one higher than 20mb to which he said yes but not in january, 2 or 3 months later there will be a 50MB service.
I just got to wait 3 weeks now! for the first free slot to have my free modem fitted as i only got the samsung box at the mo, must be alot of people doing this if its a 3 week wait!

Rob
Brighton

Logan
30-11-2006, 12:17
I can't wait to see if this actually happens. What a nice Christmas present :D

Hoping I'll go from 10mb to 20mb with no hassles, as 10mb is rock solid here in East Hunsbury, Northampton.

dcclanuk
30-11-2006, 12:26
speed is fine in the daytime!
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/1.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

when it comes to the evening, the speed nosedives! just called TECH SUPPORT, and they said [basically] oversubscribed. Will be fixed in a few days time... I mean come on! It was a general area fault last thursday, and now its an on going area fault!:mad: Unusable internet at night time!:o:

Logan
30-11-2006, 12:33
What's the time range where it nosedives? Where I am in Northampton, it still seems to run at near enough max speed whatever the time.

ee61re
30-11-2006, 13:11
My 4Mb is fine during the week daytimes, but evenings and weekends it nosedives to 1.5Mb or thereabouts. Sometimes worse.

Its only started doing it in the last few weeks.

It can only really be oversubscription, can't it?

Richy99
01-12-2006, 11:19
there is no charge as far as I'm aware of - you just ring up and ask to have a cable modem.

what about those of us still on the usr cmx modems which we own? think they would dish out a 250 for free seeing as i dont have any equipment from them?

etccarmageddon
01-12-2006, 12:40
what about those of us still on the usr cmx modems which we own? think they would dish out a 250 for free seeing as i dont have any equipment from them?ring them and ask - I cant see them not offering an upgrade.

XFS03
01-12-2006, 16:52
...what upload will i be getting with 10MB BB?...
512kbps.

samsungdude
02-12-2006, 18:56

it will EXPLODE!!!!!! LOL

they will have to replace the PACE with a new digi box or a SACM, as the pace box can only handle 1mb and no more

ecksmen
03-12-2006, 07:19
Sorry guys n gals but what's the upload on the 50Mb package, surely it still can't only be 0.5Mbps? I wouldn't be happy with anything less than 5Mbps upload... god that would rule!

arcamalpha2004
03-12-2006, 08:15

Rob
Brighton

Rob, are they going to offer you 20mb at the same price as 10mb?
You say they have upgraded your current speed to 10mb for free for three months? so assuming after three months when " they increase " your speed to 20 mb will it be at the same full cost at present for 10mb? because I suspect a cs member is getting a pat on the back for selling a 20mb connection, could be wrong :D

Just-
03-12-2006, 11:13
okay guys so its december
still on 4Mb when is the upgrade for the 10Mb does any one know ?

is it really happening or they found out the backbones can't take the load

Nikesh
03-12-2006, 11:45
okay guys so its december
still on 4Mb when is the upgrade for the 10Mb does any one know ?

is it really happening or they found out the backbones can't take the load

I think they've scrapped the idea. :(

Nikesh

kingdeacon
03-12-2006, 11:55
Rob, are they going to offer you 20mb at the same price as 10mb?
You say they have upgraded your current speed to 10mb for free for three months? so assuming after three months when " they increase " your speed to 20 mb will it be at the same full cost at present for 10mb? because I suspect a cs member is getting a pat on the back for selling a 20mb connection, could be wrong :D

dont really get what your saying, I phoned up saying i wanted to leave, they said we will give you £17.50 off per month for 6 months plus upgrade you to 10mb for free for 3 months. (yes please, i was not really leaving in the first place)
the way i see it is after 3 months i ring again and do the same again or get put back to 4mb (which the guy at ntl said would be 10meg in january)
so how have they sold a 20mb connection?
I'm never going to pay £35 per month for BB as there is no need to, and i guess thats what 20mb will cost.
I'm chuffed to bits with 4MB to be honest, as i always have full speed any time 24/7, just hope it stays that way. I think its down to the fact no one uses ntl where i live for some reason, i live in a block with 8 flats all of which have cable up to there lounge window, mine is the only one with the cable un coiled and fitted. i have looked at the back of the other 3 blocks of flats and there is 2 other people with it fitted. so out of 32 flats that can have ntl there is only 3 using it! and we have a ntl green street box out side the first block, is that just for us? or will lots of streets be on it?
the other lucky thing is the bt phone exchange is 50 meters away on other side of road, so if i want to leave ever i should be able to get a good contection there to:)

tony
03-12-2006, 15:09
This thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33604311&highlight=february+price+increase

has no mention of increased speeds just three packages, M (2mb), L (4mb) and XL (10mb) at £18,£25 and £35 respectively all starting 1st February.

arcamalpha2004
03-12-2006, 20:08
dont really get what your saying, I phoned up saying i wanted to leave, they said we will give you £17.50 off per month for 6 months plus upgrade you to 10mb for free for 3 months. (yes please, i was not really leaving in the first place)
the way i see it is after 3 months i ring again and do the same again or get put back to 4mb (which the guy at ntl said would be 10meg in january)
so how have they sold a 20mb connection?
I'm never going to pay £35 per month for BB as there is no need to, and i guess thats what 20mb will cost.
I'm chuffed to bits with 4MB to be honest, as i always have full speed any time 24/7, just hope it stays that way. I think its down to the fact no one uses ntl where i live for some reason, i live in a block with 8 flats all of which have cable up to there lounge window, mine is the only one with the cable un coiled and fitted. i have looked at the back of the other 3 blocks of flats and there is 2 other people with it fitted. so out of 32 flats that can have ntl there is only 3 using it! and we have a ntl green street box out side the first block, is that just for us? or will lots of streets be on it?
the other lucky thing is the bt phone exchange is 50 meters away on other side of road, so if i want to leave ever i should be able to get a good contection there to:)

Rob ;)
"The person i spoke to in customer relations said in january they are going to have new higher speeds on there BB and the lowest will be 4MB, with the current 4MB going to 10mb, and 10MB which im now on for 3 months will become 20MB, I asked if there would be one higher than 20mb to which he said yes but not in january, 2 or 3 months later there will be a 50MB service. "

I am saying that reading into what you said if you cancel the 10mb speed after three months you will be back on 4mb, that correct?
But, if you do not cancel after three months the 10mb speed you are getting now at a discount will become 20mb, you did mention 20mb in your original post?
So, why I am saying that they will have sold a 20mb speed is because after your current 3 months expires, you either call them to go back to your 4mb or do nothing and the 10mb youre currently on becomes 20mb, may be the way I read it but you did say 20mb;) are they going to let you have 20mb for what you are paying now?
50mb is being piloted now for release in 2008, unless NTL wish to make a call to the mail on sunday and ask what they are on about :)

Nikesh
03-12-2006, 20:30

Rob
Brighton

If what you say is true, I can't wait till January! ;)

Nikesh

HaroldT
04-12-2006, 11:24
Hello - Are we really going to get an upgrade from 4 mb to 10 mb in January 2007. How firm is this. A friend is on 2 mb .... will he be omproved as well ?

HaroldT

etccarmageddon
04-12-2006, 12:08
ring them and ask! It all sounds like hot air to me - rumours and nothing concrete except for the press release from 18 months ago.

HaroldT
04-12-2006, 19:20
<H4>ntl To Make 10MB Broadband Speed As standard

# (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard) 08 August 2005, 07:12 by
ntl has confirmed its strategy for the delivery of next generation cable broadband services. A press release informs us, the aim is to make 10Mb its standard broadband access speed. Broadband customers will be able to choose a 10Mb service with a usage allowance to match their requirements. ntl will also offer a choice of broadband services with unlimited usage.

New broadband portfolio
The new product strategy creates a set of “up to 10Mb as standard” cable broadband products with different bandwidth options to match usage plus a series of unlimited products at different speeds.
For the first time, a customer will be able to match speed, usage allowance and price to their individual needs. A new broadband user will be able to enjoy the same 10Mb speed as an experienced surfer and as their online expertise grows, simply move up to a higher allowance. Tools will be provided to allow customers to track their usage.
The first home surfers in the UK to enjoy speeds of up to 10Mb will be ntl’s current 3Mb Broadband customers. ntl will provide them with more speed and greater usage, at no extra cost per month. By the end of this year they will have a connection of up to 10Mb, while their usage allowance will increase from 30GB to 75GB per month.
“Our broadband services will become amongst the most innovative in the world and certainly well ahead of anything else in the UK,” said Simon Duffy, Chief Executive Officer of ntl. “This is a major step towards delivering Britain’s digital future.”
By the end of 2006, the roll out of this new product portfolio will be complete. There are no plans to change monthly prices. However, some customers will need to upgrade their modem. Further details will be announced at launch.

</H4>Thanks etccarmageddon.... Below is their announcement that I checked out with your guidance. So I guess there is some substance for 'fulfillment' - unless, of course, they have changed their minds since they posted their intention.

Chrysalis
04-12-2006, 20:13
if 10meg becomes standard they presumbly happy with the increased congestion and the headline speeds been severely different to actual speeds.

Just-
04-12-2006, 21:52
okay so less then 27 days for the upgrade
haha dont be silly they wont upgrade every one on the 1st they will be partying

Nikesh
04-12-2006, 22:07
okay so less then 27 days for the upgrade
haha dont be silly they wont upgrade every one on the 1st they will be partying

Do you guys really believe ntl are going to upgrade us in January? I thought there would be an official press release if there was an upgrade.

etccarmageddon
05-12-2006, 00:40
it's a unprofessional organisation which announces an intention like that and then doesn't follow up on it.

OL1V3R
05-12-2006, 11:16
Well, I called them up regarding some problems with the television and I dropped in that rumour had it that there was going to be a speed increase this month and was it true. She didn't know anything about it.

In regards to unprofessionalism as mentioned by etccarmageddon.. Did they even put out an official announcement regarding this? I dont think they could be called unprofessional with just a rumour hovering around the system!

HaroldT
05-12-2006, 11:38
See my comments yesterday at 19.20 - they indeed made an announcement on the 8.8.2005. If past changes are anything to go by, and they are upgrading in January, they will announce this on the 31st December 2006 ! We are in their hands.

etccarmageddon
05-12-2006, 11:50
In regards to unprofessionalism as mentioned by etccarmageddon.. Did they even put out an official announcement regarding this? I dont think they could be called unprofessional with just a rumour hovering around the system!yes is was an official press release 18 months ago.

this is part of their 'promise':-
"...The new product strategy creates a set of “up to 10Mb as standard” cable broadband products with different bandwidth options to match usage plus a series of unlimited products at different speeds..."

Bill C
05-12-2006, 13:12
See my comments yesterday at 19.20 - they indeed made an announcement on the 8.8.2005. If past changes are anything to go by, and they are upgrading in January, they will announce this on the 31st December 2006 ! We are in their hands.

Wana bet they dont ;)

KingRoLo
05-12-2006, 17:28
I reckon we'll be in for an upgrade pretty soon. 10meg would be lovely, 50meg would blow me away :Yikes:

Rone
06-12-2006, 08:43
50 meg would probably blow the network away too. :)

Paul K
06-12-2006, 09:28
NTLs' infrastructure cannot properly sustain the use (and abuse) of a 10Mb tier............ so let's all look forward to them launching 50Mb sometime soon at which point the network will completely self destruct :( Personally I would settle for a solid 10Mb set up and a concentrated effort from NTL to improve it's CS/ TS support.

Rik
06-12-2006, 11:59
Network in my area can certainly sustain 10Meg speeds, bring on the 20/50Meg is what I say :D
10Meg is solid as a rock here in Hertfordshire and has been ever since it was introduced, all this talk about the network is on its knees doesnt wash with me. ;)

SnoopZ
06-12-2006, 12:19
Network in my area can certainly sustain 10Meg speeds, bring on the 20/50Meg is what I say :D
10Meg is solid as a rock here in Hertfordshire and has been ever since it was introduced, all this talk about the network is on its knees doesnt wash with me. ;)

Solid as a rock here in my Cambridge CB4 region where i am(at least it is for me), so give me 20mbit please. :)

Druchii
06-12-2006, 13:10
Wait til everyone is on 10Mb, then see what happens...

m044bz00
07-12-2006, 23:19
Wait til everyone is on 10Mb, then see what happens...
Is this still going ahead though?

If I remember rightly the above press release was made before the takeover of Telewest

At that stage they planned 10Mb for all and download allowances would differentiate between prices charged with the then gold members having a 75GB allowance per month

Since then they merged with Telewest and the announcement cam that all capping was out of the window

If there is no capping then surely all 3 services cannot be the same bandwidth?

twinkle
08-12-2006, 00:38
75 gig a month ,going back to the bad old days ,think i would need 300 ish

m044bz00
08-12-2006, 05:36
75 gig a month ,going back to the bad old days ,think i would need 300 ish
I'm on the 10Mb connection and for the last month I've been doing a lot of work from home which has involved downloading video for editing etc via a 2mb connection.

I've often been downloading constantly at 230kbs, this is only a fifth of my allotted bandwidth yet in the last month alone I've downloaded on average 20GB per day or around 600GB over the month and will do so again this month no doubt.

We've all heard of ISP's 'unlimited' Internet access, is NTL's really unlimited now or just another "unlimited until we decide it isn't and will cut you off without warning unlimited service"?

Bill C
08-12-2006, 06:52
I'm on the 10Mb connection and for the last month I've been doing a lot of work from home which has involved downloading video for editing etc via a 2mb connection.

I've often been downloading constantly at 230kbs, this is only a fifth of my allotted bandwidth yet in the last month alone I've downloaded on average 20GB per day or around 600GB over the month and will do so again this month no doubt.

We've all heard of ISP's 'unlimited' Internet access, is NTL's really unlimited now or just another "unlimited until we decide it isn't and will cut you off without warning unlimited service"?

Unlimited but shaped.

DaBuzz
08-12-2006, 08:29
How do NTL do their shaping. I find that in the evening from some places in EU I can barely get 150k on my 10Mb, but other sites I can get the full speed. Is it to do with location?

Is there a way around the shaping?

Bill C
08-12-2006, 09:20
How do NTL do their shaping. I find that in the evening from some places in EU I can barely get 150k on my 10Mb, but other sites I can get the full speed. Is it to do with location?

Is there a way around the shaping?

Its all down to the type of protocols you are using bit torrent for instance. And there is no way round it.

m044bz00
08-12-2006, 09:26
I've been downloading via FTP client although not through ports 20&21, haven't seen any drop below the 230-250 kbs

The Jackal
08-12-2006, 11:17
NTLs' infrastructure cannot properly sustain the use (and abuse) of a 10Mb tier............ so let's all look forward to them launching 50Mb sometime soon at which point the network will completely self destruct :( Personally I would settle for a solid 10Mb set up and a concentrated effort from NTL to improve it's CS/ TS support.

Agreed : Come on ppl get with the facts the NTL / Telewest infrastructure just cant handle it.

I hear ppl on these forums talk about 20meg / 50 meg what *deleted*.

Come with me and I'll show you a true 1meg/1meg connection that'll be more fluid and responsive than an NTL 10meg broadband home package.

Anyone know what type of capacity NTL/Telewest have at linx exchanges ?

Uncle Peter
08-12-2006, 11:54
Agreed : Come on ppl get with the facts the NTL / Telewest infrastructure just cant handle it.

I hear ppl on these forums talk about 20meg / 50 meg what *deleted*.

Come with me and I'll show you a true 1meg/1meg connection that'll be more fluid and responsive than an NTL 10meg broadband home package.

Anyone know what type of capacity NTL/Telewest have at linx exchanges ?

Having enough transit capacity is one issue but you also need to consider much NTL are willing to pay for the amount of data being pushed and pulled from their peers.

mike24
09-12-2006, 02:13
hi
just did a speed test with this result;
Sat, 09 Dec 2006 02:10:35 GMT

1st 512K took 719 ms = 712.1 KB/sec, approx 5868 Kbps, 5.73 Mbps
2nd 512K took 672 ms = 761.9 KB/sec, approx 6278 Kbps, 6.13 Mbps
3rd 512K took 156 ms = 3282.1 KB/sec, approx 27045 Kbps, 26.41 Mbps
4th 512K took 1485 ms = 344.8 KB/sec, approx 2841 Kbps, 2.77 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 10508 Kbps, 10.26 Mbps

etccarmageddon
09-12-2006, 09:34
and what tier are you on?

mike24
09-12-2006, 10:12
and what tier are you on?
Hi
before taking the £30 tv/phone/internet package, i was on the 10meg service,
and todays speed test;

Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:11:50 GMT

1st 512K took 579 ms = 884.3 KB/sec, approx 7287 Kbps, 7.12 Mbps
2nd 512K took 796 ms = 643.2 KB/sec, approx 5300 Kbps, 5.18 Mbps
3rd 512K took 329 ms = 1556.2 KB/sec, approx 12823 Kbps, 12.52 Mbps
4th 512K took 500 ms = 1024 KB/sec, approx 8438 Kbps, 8.24 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 8462 Kbps, 8.27 Mbps:)

Bill C
09-12-2006, 10:41
Hi
before taking the £30 tv/phone/internet package, i was on the 10meg service,
and todays speed test;

Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:11:50 GMT

1st 512K took 579 ms = 884.3 KB/sec, approx 7287 Kbps, 7.12 Mbps
2nd 512K took 796 ms = 643.2 KB/sec, approx 5300 Kbps, 5.18 Mbps
3rd 512K took 329 ms = 1556.2 KB/sec, approx 12823 Kbps, 12.52 Mbps
4th 512K took 500 ms = 1024 KB/sec, approx 8438 Kbps, 8.24 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 8462 Kbps, 8.27 Mbps:)

So it looks like you are still on 10 meg then. Have a look at your operational config. 192.168.100.1 username root password root.

So someone it seems did not change the speed of your modem when you changed packages

Nikesh
09-12-2006, 12:41
hi
just did a speed test with this result;
Sat, 09 Dec 2006 02:10:35 GMT

1st 512K took 719 ms = 712.1 KB/sec, approx 5868 Kbps, 5.73 Mbps
2nd 512K took 672 ms = 761.9 KB/sec, approx 6278 Kbps, 6.13 Mbps
3rd 512K took 156 ms = 3282.1 KB/sec, approx 27045 Kbps, 26.41 Mbps
4th 512K took 1485 ms = 344.8 KB/sec, approx 2841 Kbps, 2.77 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 10508 Kbps, 10.26 Mbps

You lucky guy!!

SnoopZ
09-12-2006, 14:16
You lucky guy!!

Unless he still gets billed for 10mbit as well.

Alien
10-12-2006, 07:44
With my 4Mb connection, I've found 35KB to be about right for the upload limit in Azureus.

i wouldnt gt your hopes up for 10mb for all. to the best of my knowledge, that idea was dead in the water months ago.
I'm in 2 minds on that issue. On the 1 hand, whilst [apparently] some parts of the NTL network can handle 10Mb, from the number of complaints posted it's obvious they're not ready to provide 10Mb everywhere - & them saying "it's up to 10Mb" is just plain dishonest in my book. They sell the service knowing damn well that people who are paying for it will be doing so because they are wanting an actual 10Mb service, & at the same time knowing that in some areas people paying for 10Mb will have a slower service than I do on 4Mb.

On the other hand, if/when the upgrade happens [2 -> 4/5, 4 -> 10, etc] I should be able to drop from 10Mb back to 4Mb & save a bit of money. :)

NTL have to compete in the isp service world. The ordinary Joe public who has no knowledge of computers and broadband will go by what is advertised . NTL will therefore have to compete with the likes of BT who specify up to 8Mb. This means that 10Mb will surely be the bottom tier just to compete on the same level. The people who tend to respond to cableforum are not joe public and and tend to be technical in many instances. With the likes of Sky and Carphone Warehouse muscling in this sector NTL have no option but to raise their game and attract those that do not reply to this forum. 10Mb will be basic service with NTL sooner or later. I think much sooner than people think.
I understand the point you make about marketing, but another idea NTL could try [& perhaps Bill or someone could drop a word in the appropriate ear? :)] is instead of "oh look at the nice big numbers on our advert, they're bigger than those of the competition. :handwave: you do not need to read the fine print", they could try offering lower speed, more reliable [read: actual speeds, instead of "up to"] connections.

it's a unprofessional organisation which announces an intention like that and then doesn't follow up on it.
We are still talking about NTL, right? ;) No slight aimed at any techs or personnel who post here, I'm on about some of those further up the food-chain, &/or in marketing [& CS].