PDA

View Full Version : SET UP DIAL UP ASAP

paul11974
17-11-2006, 21:09
Hi fellow cable forum users my brother in law has just purchased a new pc and has to wait for 14 days until he can get broadband he does not live in a cable area but would like to get dial up while he waits to be connected to broadband. So is there a way he can get ntl dial up while he waits ? also will he need a disc to get him going and if he cant get ntl dial up is there any other options available to him ?

CycoSymz
17-11-2006, 21:13
Does it have to be NTL dial up 'cos there are are plenty of free dial up isp's available until the BB is connected.

Chris
17-11-2006, 21:17
He would be best using a service similar to this: http://www.0845dial.com/ and restricting his net use to essential access only for a couple of weeks, rather than going through the hassle of a contract he could get stuck with for at least a month and possibly a year.

paul11974
17-11-2006, 21:21
Does it have to be NTL dial up 'cos there are are plenty of free dial up isp's available until the BB is connected.

nope any dial up would be fine also he is a computer novice so something that is pretty easy to set up

i just found this lot http://www.connect4free.co.uk/

rossco555
17-11-2006, 21:44
Suggest he uses Netcom Free....he does'nt even have to register! You just use the 0845 number and pay as you go. Settings as below....

[Entry]
Entry_Name = 0845 Dialup - Pay As You Go
[Phone]
Dial_As_Is = No
Phone_Number = 0551800
Area_Code = 0845
Country_Code = 44
Country_Id = 44
[Server]
Type = PPP
SW_Compress = Yes
PW_Encrypt = No
Negotiate_TCP/IP = Yes
Disable_LCP = No
[TCP/IP]
Specify_IP_Address = No
Specify_Server_Address = No
IP_Header_Conpress = Yes
Gateway_On_Remote = Yes
[User]
Name = free0845
Password = free0845
Display_Password = Yes
[URL]
Home_Page = http://www.netcom.co.uk/

Regards...Rossco

CycoSymz
17-11-2006, 21:44
nope any dial up would be fine also he is a computer novice so something that is pretty easy to set up

i just found this lot http://www.connect4free.co.uk/

I've not tried them before, but they sound ok.....you would have to try them out, to find if they are any good.

EDIT: Maybe ask Zingle, cos he knows pretty much everything.

paul11974
18-11-2006, 18:36
ohhh dear turns out his new pc does not have a modem apparently new pcs don't have them built in anymore

AntiSilence
18-11-2006, 18:43
ohhh dear turns out his new pc does not have a modem apparently new pcs don't have them built in anymore

Not surprising. Most don't have floppy drives anymore either.

paul11974
18-11-2006, 18:55
Not surprising. Most don't have floppy drives anymore either.

its a bit bad don't you think ? its handy to have a modem as back up if the broadband goes down and most old people or net heavy users might prefer dial up to bb

Druchii
18-11-2006, 23:50
its a bit bad don't you think ? its handy to have a modem as back up if the broadband goes down and most old people or net heavy users might prefer dial up to bb
Agreed, i have 3 sat in a drawer doing nothing.

zing_deleted
18-11-2006, 23:56
ive got loads of old modems if I can find a conextant or old intel hanging around he can have it lol > I dont install modems anymore in new pcs same as I dont install floppy drives unless asked for specifically

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Then they be mad I tell theee mad ;)

CycoSymz
19-11-2006, 00:01
ive got loads of old modems if I can find a conextant or old intel hanging around he can have it lol > I dont install modems anymore in new pcs same as I dont install floppy drives unless asked for specifically

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Then they be mad I tell theee mad ;)

I agree, don't install all the outdated stuff, cos the next thing you know someone will want Windows 3.11. LOL

EDIT: Although it was more stable than XP

zing_deleted
19-11-2006, 00:05
They could have windows 95 ;) I dont think id use dial up if my BB went down. I think id nip next door shove a wireless usb adapter in there pc and share there Bulldog :D