PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have TWO NTL lines at a house?

AdamD
17-11-2006, 18:46
I'm ...fedup with Bulldog

We've been having frequent disconnection issues with our ADSL service for 6 months
It does it upto 50 times a day on average and they can't seem to find out why, so my last resort is to move to NTL

My brother allready has NTL broadband, so i'm wondering, can a 2nd line be installed?

anduin
17-11-2006, 18:54
If NTL is working in your house properly surely it would be more cost effective to buy a router and share the service ? :)

Chris
17-11-2006, 18:56
Good point. Why can't you share your brother's account by wireless? It would be a heck of a lot cheaper, asssuming NTL will even run a second line to your home, which is doubtful unless you can convince them there place is actually two flats.

Locky
17-11-2006, 19:43
well, provided you are willing to pay, i dont see why not

Angua
17-11-2006, 19:43
There were 2 at our old house but it was done as a flat. So 2 to 1 hose should not be a problem provided they can clearly define the bill.

AdamD
17-11-2006, 20:35
Good point. Why can't you share your brother's account by wireless?

Yea that'd be the ideal solution, but he won't share it (Long story)

Justy
17-11-2006, 21:13

It is possible to get a second account at your current address. Contact sales (0800 183 1234) and choose the option for 'to become a new ntl:telwest customer'. Advise them that it is a shared house.

Good luck. ;)

Chris
17-11-2006, 21:15

Without wishing to pry ... do you both just live there alone or is it still your parents' house? If the latter, surely it's not ultimately down to him?

Jules
17-11-2006, 21:25
Adam is the one that has problems with his bro (father sleeps in lounge etc) There was a thread about it :)

anduin
17-11-2006, 21:29
OK well surely another option first is to see if Adam can get any help on resolving his adsl issues, better to have adsl and cable in the house than to put all their eggs in one basket and both do cable?

AdamD
18-11-2006, 04:08
Adam is the one that has problems with his bro (father sleeps in lounge etc) There was a thread about it :)

Heh yep, still ongoing :P

The problem with the adsl dropping the connection has gone on since we were upgraded to the 16mb service from Bulldog

Sometimes it'll drop, then keep doing so every few minutes, sometimes it'll go for hours without dropping

We've replaced the router three times with different models, replaced the adsl cable itself, three times, same with the filter

Bulldog have done line tests, said it was AOK, last time they said there was some "resistance" on the line, so they sent a BT engineer out, who said there was some insulation issues in the CAB, so he replaced .er.....something and said that should fix it

Bulldog did another test and said the resistance had gone
But, it STILL keeps dropping the connection

I really have no idea what else I can try

RXP
19-11-2006, 09:55
When 50mbit is around, could have dual 50mbits to get 100mbit :-o

d0pey
25-11-2006, 11:50
Yes, but you have to do have it installed at 1A My Road for example.

That is what I got told by a customer service rep when I asked.

DaBuzz
25-11-2006, 11:59
Just add an A to your house number when you call NTL. When they come over, put up a paper sign with your house number + A attached to your bedroom door. If they question it, say yeah i don't speak to my neighbours!

york
25-11-2006, 15:02
just to confirm, at my old address, which was a shared student house (wont be doing that again!) we started off with a shared connection via NTL, after my housemate was DLin- 24/7 365 and hogging all the bandwidth i gave NTL a call and told them to install a seperate line, which they did, the billing issue was resolved by room number (even tho there wasnt any room numbers on the doors).
So yes you can have a completly seperate service from your brother.

AdamD
09-03-2007, 10:53
just to confirm, at my old address, which was a shared student house (wont be doing that again!) we started off with a shared connection via NTL, after my housemate was DLin- 24/7 365 and hogging all the bandwidth i gave NTL a call and told them to install a seperate line, which they did, the billing issue was resolved by room number (even tho there wasnt any room numbers on the doors).
So yes you can have a completly seperate service from your brother.

Thanks York, much appreciated.

Hex
09-03-2007, 22:06
I'm curious, would it work using a splitter when the cable enters the house to feed two modems, or would a second line need running from the cab to the house?

Sauron
09-03-2007, 23:02
1 line is all that is needed