PDA

View Full Version : netguard and zonealarm vs. norton av?!

kizzu
16-11-2006, 13:59
hey im having problems with norton internet security and its getting on my nerves. do you reckon changing it to Netguard and ZoneAlarm from ntl would do any good? is norton better than these two? whats ur opinion ?

Aragorn
16-11-2006, 14:33
Definitely dump Norton! You might want to google for 'norton removal' as it can be very 'sticky'.
Do you have a router for sharing your broadband? (it prob has a built-in firewall)
If not, several people on here don't like later ZA versions - might want to look at Kerio (which costs) or Comodo (free) (http://www.comodogroup.com/products/free_products.html)
As for AV - if you want free, try Avast or AVG. For paid, NOD32 is one of the best value.
HTH

kizzu
16-11-2006, 21:10
Aragorn thank you very very much. i just removed this irritating Norton and bought nod32 straight away. its so good it already found 1 virus that norton omit when i scanned with it. cool now system moves much smoother. thank you!

Mick Fisher
16-11-2006, 22:20
might want to look at Kerio (which costs)

Try googling for:

kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe

It's free and does not slow you down in any way.

Sunbelt, who took over Kerio, have deleted it's page to encourage you to pay for a version but it still seems to be available from many other sources.

May well be worth grabbing before it disappears entirely. I have used it successfully for years. ;)

Maggy
16-11-2006, 22:28
I'm certainly seriously considering giving up ZAP when it expires this time.It's become too intrusive especially when updating the antispyware takes priority over start up.It's getting too many bells and whistles..:erm:

paul11974
16-11-2006, 23:45
zone alarm and ntl netguard work just fine

Sput
17-11-2006, 11:42
hey im having problems with norton internet security and its getting on my nerves. do you reckon changing it to Netguard and ZoneAlarm from ntl would do any good? is norton better than these two? whats ur opinion ?

I have used all of these and have found that Norton presents all sorts of problems particularly when you try to remove it. Both Netguard and Zone Alarm work very well and I have never had a problem with either slowing down browsing. In fact I have carried out download tests both with and without Netguard and ZoneAlarm and can find little or no difference with my NTL 10 meg setup. Netguard is free on the 10 meg service but I decided to buy Zone Alarm Security Suite because it gave me much better functionality with my wireless network whereas Netguard proved difficult to configure.

I hope this helps.

squirrel1970
17-11-2006, 11:50
I dumped Norton products *years* ago - best thing I ever did..
Yet, a friend of mine and her OH continue to support this naff software.
I've told her to dump it, get a refund and go for something that won't bring their computer to a grinding halt every five minutes...
Seriously, if you ever get a Norton CD... just use it as a coffeemat... do not let it anywhere near your computer!!

I just run AVG (ver 7.5), Zonealarm and thats it.. using a router.. I don't go to dodgy sites or anything... problems? I have NONE! :D
I generally block any nasties in startup (msconfig) but.. I've not had anything on my comp that shouldn't be running;)

And yeah.. I'm female... lol
ZoneAlarm? thats possibly the FIRST thing I'd put on the pc should I have to reinstall...then AVG...

Job done...

Next up on my list is configging a b****y mac mini into our lives :disturbd:
(I suppose one good thing there is that it will eventually replace my rather dodgy bad 6 year old PC.....nah.. I'm gonna get me a barebones pc and build my own!)

mackers8923
19-11-2006, 19:50
I have just installed Netguard on 2 machines and the only problem I'm having with it now is Printer Sharing over a wireless network! I've searched for it but can't find an answer!

r00t
19-11-2006, 20:22
Wouldn't have Norton if you gave me it, TBH I'd go with one of the "free" antivirus applications.
*shameless site plug*
You can check my not quite finished site for a list of free antivirus & more applications.

http://www.searchmytips.com/

jaycee
21-11-2006, 01:31
AVG Free is brilliant, i've now switched to it over Kaspersky which was also good but cost money. Not noticed any issues so far.

To be honest, for a reliable firewall, there is only one solution - a router, or a *nix machine configured as one. Software ones are pretty useless.

Mick Fisher
21-11-2006, 09:11
To be honest, for a reliable firewall, there is only one solution - a router, or a *nix machine configured as one. Software ones are pretty useless.

That's a sweeping statement. Care to elaborate?

protectorcam
21-11-2006, 10:33
AVG free seems to be ending mid Jan 2007 or have I used it for so long that I'm now expected to part with cash? Will probably use Netguard plus existing Zone Alarm whilst keeping Webroot Spysweeper running in the background. Any thoughts?

squirrel1970
21-11-2006, 10:35
AVG free seems to be ending mid Jan 2007 or have I used it for so long that I'm now expected to part with cash? Will probably use Netguard plus existing Zone Alarm whilst keeping Webroot Spysweeper running in the background. Any thoughts?
Thats the free AVG 7.1 you're on about. The latest free one is 7.5 and worth the upgrade.

protectorcam
21-11-2006, 10:50
Many thanks for that. I'll upgrade and give Netguard a swerve.

Saul's Grandad
22-11-2006, 15:12
I've used AVG free and Zonealarm for quite a while now, since dumping Norton and have had no problems with either...well worth the change IMO

squirrel1970
22-11-2006, 17:21
Thats all we've ever run here - and even my really old computer runs it all sweetly with it's 700mhz processor and it's 384Mb of ram in it...(Packard Bell model too.. should be dead by rights, but nooo.. silly thing won't die! curse that pentium chip!!!)

Nikesh
22-11-2006, 17:37
I use to use Norton all the time because I thought they were the best but since moving to ZoneAlarm I was impressed. ZoneAlarm is a lot quicker and takes up less memory then Norton. I was dissapointed with Netguard because it blocked other computers in my home network.

Nikesh

Galena1
23-11-2006, 15:59
Definitely dump Norton! You might want to google for 'norton removal' as it can be very 'sticky'.
HTH

I recently decided it was time to dump Norton. I used their 'Removal Tool' and found it very efficient. Not only did it remove all the Norton stuff but also all Pinnacle cd/dvd burning programmes, leaving just the shortcuts. It also corrupted Word so it wouldn't operate correctly and removed a mass of photos from Photoshop. Fortunately everything was backed-up to cd/dvd. I would recommend that anyone using the Norton Removal Tool ensures everything is backed up first... not that anyone needs reminding;)
Now using AVG 7.5 and Zone Alarm. Regards.