PDA

View Full Version : so fast so slow?

kizzu
16-11-2006, 12:15
hi, i wanted to share my problem with everybody. i got my ntl broadband installed yesterday and all works - cool. but i download a lot of stuff (with bit torrent) and when i tried to download something now the average speed would be around 70kbps and I am 100% sure that it should be more as for the same torrent with same amount of seeds and peers, but with my previous connection (Homechoice 4mb) i had average of 120kpbs and it could even reach 250kbps at times. And I could easily browse websites as well. I have ntl 4mb and I can download stuff with average speed BUT i cant really browse during that. it all goes terribly slow. whats funnier my speed test shows the speed of 3,5mbs .... whats wrong....? any ideas?

anduin
16-11-2006, 12:16
Traffic shaping, overloaded cache/proxy servers

Hugh
16-11-2006, 12:18
k

I found that with my first couple of torrents, my speed was v.v. slow - once I had downloaded a couple of things, and made them available as seeds, my download speed seemed to improve (up to 90-100 kbytes/second).

Don't know if this will apply to you.

anduin
16-11-2006, 12:21
Dunno to be honest .. its been a long time since i used any torrents, but isnt torrent all about a ratio you have built up previously ?

Locky
17-11-2006, 18:55
too many open connections on torrents serverly kills off HTTP does the same to me, and more than likely to every1 else.

and as for slow speeds, seeders are either slow or in short supply or there is lots of downloaders.