PDA

View Full Version : Over Subscribed...

NoelT
15-11-2006, 23:27
Hi,

I've been getting some really bad speeds recently, my old CM100 was replaced with a 250 as it kept rebooting since going to 10 meg.

I have logged a call about the speeds, knowing pretty much full well that there wasn't a fault as my speeds at 6 in the morning when I get up are fine, yet in the evenings it is dog slow.

After running speed tests on www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) and the speed test on here I am getting anywhere between 100K and 1meg download speed in the evenings.

The engineer was supposed to call today between 12 and 6, told them specifically to call the mobile not the house phone as the wife was in bed after working nights.

Got a call on the house phone at 5:50 saying they weren't coming due to staff sickness. Sureley if they knew there were people off sick they woudl have known before 12 so could have called then. Save me sitting around all day waiting.

Still, I digress. When I phoned tech support later, I spoke to a very heplful, and apologetic, guy called Huw.

He actually explained to me that there was a note on the system saying that the Cable and UBR I was on is over-subscribed.

So obviously, if my cable is over-subscribed, no engineer is going to be able to do a great deal for me.

I am obviously upset that after using NTL for many years they can't control their subscription rates over upgrading systems. I understand the needs for profit in business etc. but surely this is wrong.

I have checked with a friend who lives a 1/2 mile away and his speeds have dropped off terribly recently.

So, what I want to know is what are my options. If I cancel NTL and go get ADSL (heaven fordbid, but at least might be able to use it!) it means I will need to get a BT phone line installed. Is there any way I can be compensated for this, and all the associated hassle of going down this route?

I apologise for ranting, but this is really getting beyond a joke.

Cheers,

Noel

anduin
15-11-2006, 23:37
I have had the same explaination given to me, Its appauling that they just want to take money and 'to hell' with the service they supply...

I was told last night by 2nd line that networking team can fix, but getting them to fix is a different matter... Apparently the engineer needs to come out and check the cables first, then he can pass it on to networking.

Note for pessamists: i used the word *apparently* so dont shoot the messenger.

Its certainly not a joke no - i agree wholeheartedly, all i can suggest is that we all keep calling to complain, and calling to pay 'upto 34.99' for their 'upto' 10mb service, and calling to book another engineer, sooner or later they;ll take the hint ( or finially go pop, and we'll not have the problems anymore )

NoelT
15-11-2006, 23:40
Not a lawyer by any means, but if their 'up to' 10 meg is only performing at 'up to' 1% of its potential, can i only pay them 1% of the bill?

hmmm, makes you think what else you could apply that to ;)

anduin
15-11-2006, 23:42
Well i told them i would pay 'upto 'and they agree'd; my offer was for 50% of the price becouse 50% of the time ( daytime ) my connection seems ok.

edit: They accepted my 50% payment btw.

Druchii
16-11-2006, 01:52
Well i told them i would pay 'upto 'and they agree'd; my offer was for 50% of the price becouse 50% of the time ( daytime ) my connection seems ok.

edit: They accepted my 50% payment btw.
Nice :)

N00N00
16-11-2006, 02:40
Sounds like you got a fair deal from them. however - keep an eye on your bills VERY closely. If they've given you the product hal price they may start overcharging you after 3 months. This seems to be normal pratice at NTL so watch out in February!