PDA

View Full Version : ""INCOMPLETE FILES""" rar files

salimsd
15-11-2006, 17:07
Hi,

i am sure this is mentioned before, i think av just read something below about this but do we have a solution for these """INCOMPLETE FILE""". I mean we spend hours d/loading stuff only to realise it's NO USE and PAR files can't fix it as it too mane incomplete file.
So is their a solution? or how long is this going to go on?
Is the fault with client (i.E GrabIt) or fault with NTL?

Sal

zing_deleted
15-11-2006, 17:12
did they not show up as incomplete files in the newsreader? are there no par files at all? if this is the case then your stuffed. Theres threads on here about news servers but one things for sure NTLs is crap and it always will be the baby brothers nappy to the paid for servers

brundles
15-11-2006, 17:38
NTLs is crap and it always will be the baby brothers nappy to the paid for servers

Made me laugh anyway!

As a general rule, ISPs have never been too worried about the binary portions of news servers - it's a ton of content to have to carry (although these days you could argue it would reduce their external traffic if they had decent binary server). If you want to be able to download binaries you're looking at a paid for service.

Dogster
15-11-2006, 17:51
There are a lot of incomplete posts recently but it depends on what groups
you're using and what you're after.
I can still get what I want and for those that have missing posts I'll use
torrents to fill any missing rars. ;)

as you can see there are lots of incompletes but enough pars to do the job.:)

salimsd
15-11-2006, 19:06
Hi,

thanks for info. Am using Grabit and it shoes all ok on that but once the rar file is d/loaded it will be "incomplete Grab" and par files can't fix it cos theirs so many incomplete. Am also getting lot of "article not found" this is really getting to me. AM trying .AVI files.

intoxik8
15-11-2006, 20:10
Hi,

thanks for info. Am using Grabit and it shoes all ok on that but once the rar file is d/loaded it will be "incomplete Grab" and par files can't fix it cos theirs so many incomplete. Am also getting lot of "article not found" this is really getting to me. AM trying .AVI files.

With GrabIt if what has been uploaded has been numbered look for missing numbers, it’s easy to overlook them I have a few times. I have no idea about the new version of GrabIt, I didn’t like it so stuck with the old, with the old version if you select the “Red note” looking icon which as described is “Push this button to unmarked items that contain multiple news articles which are not present on news server” - in layman terms it shows up incompletes as reds, so you know if you see enough reds it's not worth as it no doubt won't be curable with quickpar.

salimsd
15-11-2006, 20:32
So, if thats the case that lot are incomplete on grabit then it's problem with postings or problem with NTL? Cos av come a cross loads of different .AVI that are incomplete, surley not all postings are incomplete. seems like a problem with NTL server.

Horace
15-11-2006, 20:40
NTL's news server retention is virtually useless for binaries, you have to get them at the time of posting. It's not really meant as a binary server and for that reason, it had a lot of the larger groups removed a while ago. If you want a decent binary service then you'll have to pay for it unfortunately.

salimsd
15-11-2006, 20:49
which is the cheapest one???

Down the Pub
15-11-2006, 21:57
which is the cheapest one???

not the cheapest, but of the ones i have used giganews is the best about £13 odd at today's rates and can allways max my connection.

pooper
15-11-2006, 22:01
lol i love the way you've hidden the filenames dogster :P

atpcz
15-11-2006, 22:10
Go for Giganews (http://www.giganews.com). Can't go wrong. At all.

intoxik8
16-11-2006, 19:49
Incompletes can be down to the poster's service or NTL (I believe?) at the moment it's more down to NTL, for the past week or so it's been a terrible service, I've had no problem until now this year.

The appeal of NTL's newsgroups depends on the user, for me they've been fantastic, I don't need any sort of retention, and as said until now completion rates hasn't been a problem at all.

I hear Giganews and easynews bounced about alot as paid services can't see myself joining up just yet though. :)

DieDieMyDarling
17-11-2006, 18:51
Another vote for Giganews, can't fault them. You really do get what you pay for.

rick47
24-10-2007, 19:31
Are we going through this again as all I am finding are 99% incomplete posts, very slow header download and you can get a complete file, only at 12 - 13 MB download as I normally have 18.5 ??