PDA

View Full Version : Problems with ntl 200 modem

djb61
13-11-2006, 17:36
For a long time now I've been having problems with my 200 modem, in fact on and off ever since I got it. It will consistantly lock up, it seems to be correlated with high throughput downloads but not with any particular type of download, ie it happens with ftp/http/torrents/usenet etc.

The symptoms are as follows, complete loss of connectivity, sync/ready lights stay on fine, intermittant blinking on Enet light but no activity on upstream/downstream lights. Power cycling the modem always immediately resolves it but leaving it will not regardless of how long I leave it. The crashes happen at seemingly random intervals, sometimes it'll be fine for days, sometimes only a few hours/minutes.

It seems the modem is internally crashing since when this happens the modem will not respond on the web management interface, in fact it won't even respond to pings on the management IP.

I've finally had enough of this, as it means I can't leave it downloading unattended, ie overnight or when I'm out which is very frustrating as I prefer to do larger downloads in off peak times, ie overnight.

Just now I tried ringing the tech support line to see about getting a new modem but got absolutely nowhere with the indian call center, who after disappearing to perform "tests" for a while told me that the modem was working fine (even though I had already said at this minute the connection was ok).
I'd already given him all the information I have given here and his only response is because the sync/ready lights stayed on it must be fine, I pointed out that if it was a signal or cable connectivity issue I should still be able to connect to the management page and see that, but that got me nowhere also.
Finally I asked him to check how many times the modem has been reset, since I never switch it off and it is on a UPS too so it doesn't even go off in a powercut, he returned and said in the last month it had been reset 27 times, but that was perfectly fine apparently, that is an average of almost once a day which to me seems completely unacceptable.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get a new modem out of them? I can't see that going through tech support is going to get me anywhere as they just seem to follow some script and take no notice of anything else you tell them :(

Or am I going to have to resort to the modem having an "accident"

PS: I'm on the 10mbit tier if that matters at all. (Though I had the same issues prior to the 10mbit upgrade)

Slyder
13-11-2006, 19:21
PS: I'm on the 10mbit tier if that matters at all. (Though I had the same issues prior to the 10mbit upgrade)

Some people would disagree with me, but I would cut your losses, watch as your modem has an accident and demand a 250 modem as these are the best for 10meg. imho

Tech_Boy
14-11-2006, 14:17
Your best bet would be to call when the connection has dropped, so that you can prove to the tech that it is the modems fault.

If you call up & get the tech to test the modem when the connection has dropped, and the tech can get the results & put into the lognotes that the modem was offline & just rebooting the modem on it's own restored the connection, that should be enough for the tech to cover him/her self & get you an engineer to swap out the modem.

Oh, and I'm running the 10 meg through a 120 with no problems.

nz039926
13-03-2008, 14:32
My Virgin Media modem lights are as follows:
Ready: green (solid)
Sync : Green (solid)
Rec : off
Send : off
ethernet: Geen (solid)
USB : off
Power: Green (Solid)

My wireless router(Fonera) is connected to Virgin media modem through ethernet connection.
Everything seems to be fine, but I don't have internet at all.
I can connect to my wireless router(Fonera) consol and change it's settings, but I don't understand why
I don't have internet.
Every now and then the Send light goes green for a second, then the Receive light does the same.
Can someone help?
Thanks.