PDA

View Full Version : DNS Problem with 2mb?

obscura2k
12-11-2006, 23:31
Heya guys, my usual NTL contacts offline on MSN so i'll post here ...

A chap off a forum I run has major DNS problems at the moment. He cannot access any websites unless he knows the direct IP address of them, however he can browse fine when i get him to force using one of NTL's Nottingham proxies

I've had him flush and register his dns, reset the modem, checked winsock, checked the hosts file, checked as much as possibly can ... he rang NTL CS and they say he has some computer issues and the problem is not at their end (oh rly?)

he doesnt use a router, and only has windows firewall which makes no difference when on or off for this situation

he's scanned out clean for viruses n stuff and even gets the same on a brand new laptop

if he does ipconfig /all he gets all the usual settings along with the NTL DNS servers ...

any ideas fellas?

cheers again
obscura

Cobbydaler
12-11-2006, 23:43
Try using the following DNS servers instead of having them assigned through DHCP:

obscura2k
12-11-2006, 23:46
could do, but its just as useful as forcing through a proxy ... still like to know whats causing it and how to resolve it as its quite annoying ... surely its something at their end?

ta

Heedyheed
13-11-2006, 11:12
Yup, it's their problem. It'll be a stuffed proxy. The one that is assigned automatically is broken. As you say, manually specifying a different one resolves the problem. It's a relatively commonplace NTL fault in my experience.

By the way, it's not worth trying to report it to NTL - they don't appear to be able to easily tell if a proxy is misbehaving. It's better to ensure that you have a list of their proxy IP addresses to hand so that you can specify a different one when you get a problem.

Mike