PDA

View Full Version : Help with registering a new router

Jaswant
11-11-2006, 21:18
Hi

I am sure you guys have seen this question many times before. It goes like this.

A collegue at work has NTL broadband, TV and phones services . There is a coax going into the set top box and a coax going into of cable modem. Until last week he was accessing internet via an ethernet cable from the cable modem. So far so good the single pc plugged into the cable modem gets full access to the internet. It gets an ip address begining with 82.x.x.x. Last week his wife has finally got use of laptop from work. So they went out bought a Linksys WRT54G. Linked it in - Ethernet from modem - into router - One ethernet drop cable from router (from one of the 4 ports) into PC. Router WAN definition confiured to DHCP and everything left as default. Used browser access to the router shows it fails to get an ip address from the cable modem. Hence there is no internet access

The PC gets an ip address from the router (192.168.0.2, 1 being the router address).

Question - Is there some kind of registration / authourisation process that one has to go through with NTL helpdesk ? So far contacting the help desk has only resulted in swappinfg out routers with replacement ones' from pcworld - gone through 3 boxes. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the routers - Can any one help? Please my collegue is about to give up !!

Thanks in anticipation.

Jaswant
<email addy deleted, it'll get spammed like mad - Rob C>

Tezcatlipoca
11-11-2006, 21:29
:welcome:

EDIT:

Sorry, I was completely wrong. I saw "set top box" & thought "registration", yet you use a modem lol.

No need for registration. Just turn everything off, then turn on the modem, let it settle, turn on the router, and then finally turn on the PC.

Correct link: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html#swap

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Oh, & you could also clone the PC's MAC address onto the router, avoiding the need to "power cycle".

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/macaddr.html#macclone

Jaswant
12-11-2006, 23:07
Tried all the suggestions that seem to work for others - not in our case!!

Remember this an odd setup - both the set top box and cable modem exists in the same household.

Even if I plug the laptop directly to the cable modem - I don't get an IP address only the old desktop gets an ip address.

I even tried clone mac address on the router - still no luck - anymore suggestions before I throw the cable modem out ?

Marge
12-11-2006, 23:19
I have a set top box and cable modem running off a splitter which works perfectly fine and from what you've said theirs does seem to be working so I think you can rule that out.

I think you need to check that the laptop actually has the hardware installed for internet connection ie wireless or network card otherwise it ain't never gonna work.

mmm
13-11-2006, 09:33
Tried all the suggestions that seem to work for others - not in our case!!

Remember this an odd setup - both the set top box and cable modem exists in the same household.

Even if I plug the laptop directly to the cable modem - I don't get an IP address only the old desktop gets an ip address.

I even tried clone mac address on the router - still no luck - anymore suggestions before I throw the cable modem out ?

You MUST power cycle the cable modem after changing connections to it. The modem is configured by NTL to be shy, it will only talk to the first device it sees and ignores strangers. It also may refuse to talk to more that 2 devices in any 24 hour period (I was told this limit had been removed) which may explain why the laptop cannot get an IP from it.

You should reset the WRT54G to factory defaults- press and hold reset button for 30 seconds - then try again with it. The default router IP address is 192.168.1.1, and default dhcp range .100 so it is clear from your post that someone has been playing with the settings. (But you say this has been swapped 3 times???)

What version WRT54G and what version firmware is it running? If it is V5 or later Linksys have recently posted updated firmware which fixes some dhcp bugs - but mac users are still having troubles.

pigpen
14-11-2006, 21:42
You have a similar setup to what I have. I have the same router, and after registering this computer with ntl I cloned the mac address of my PC's onboard LAN onto the WAN of the router.

Then I plugged the modem into the WAN port of the router, and one of the router's LAN ports to my PC. Turn off everything at the mains and restart them with modem, router then PC and it should work as if you were directly connected to the modem.

The status page of the router's setup should show your internet IP address if all has gone well.

jaycee
15-11-2006, 22:07
The STB is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with your connection.

You need to ensure that the WRT54G is configured for DHCP on it's "WAN" or "Internet" port so that it will pick up an address from NTL. Also, the cable modem has to be powered off/powered on whenever you change what it's connected to - as others have said, the cable modem is configured so it will only talk to the first MAC address it sees on it's ethernet connection.