PDA

View Full Version : Why Cant I connect to the internet!!

Saaf_laandon_mo
08-11-2006, 16:59
Can anyone help. Yesterday I reformatted my PC and reinstalled XP. The PC was previously connected to the cable modem via a Belkin ROuter (i.e cable from PC to router, then other cable from router to modem). Now it simply fails to connect to the internet.

The wireless router does work because I can connect wirelessly with my PSP and laptop.

I have tried connecting the PC directly to the modem using different cables but nothing seems to work. I know the router wors as do the wires and the modem, so whats going on. I have even switched of teh modem and router over night and the same thing happens in the morning.

Please help before the PC goes out of the window!

DocDutch
08-11-2006, 17:01
Saaf, do an ip config when you got the pc wired to the router. see what happens, sounds like windoze has gone a bit loopy with you. so yes throwing the pc out of the window might just help ;)

MovedGoalPosts
08-11-2006, 17:03
Drivers for the network card on your PC? Is the ethernet connection enabled in network settings? Is a firewall or antivirus blocking something? Have you run any wizards?

Saaf_laandon_mo
08-11-2006, 17:07
Drivers? ipconfig? Did i forget to mention that although I'm a programmer for a living I know nothing about hardware/PC configuring. Ive been told I might nneed to download my network drivers.
Whats an ipconfig and what wizarss should i run? Sorry to sound like a spas.

DocDutch
08-11-2006, 17:23
hey we all have to start somewhere Saaf mate ;)

go to start ---> Run ---> Type in "cmd" press enter. now you should have good ol' Dos on your screen. now when it says c:\documents and settings\user type in "ipconfig" then you should see Ethernet adapter local area connection. here you got the IP address.

MovedGoalPosts
08-11-2006, 17:38
Ok, let's check out some real basics. When you reinstalled windows, did you also run, just after the windows installation, any CDs that were supplied with your computer's motherboard?. Often those will have drivers specific for your computer. If there is a choice run the general chipset one first, then work down the list.

If you check control panel > System then on the pop up system properties window, click hardware and Device Manager, do any devices, especially the network ones have a yellow exclaimation or red cross? If so you haven't got something enabled, and so do need to identify the right drivers for them. Those should be on a CD that came with your computer, alternatively copies might be available on the manufacturer's support sites for your computer or it's components.

Saaf_laandon_mo
08-11-2006, 23:00
Thanks for the help guys, it was my network driver that was missing, and now i know how to download and install drivers :)

I can now use the internet from home :)