PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Why no Nintendo section? / Will Wii have a Wii section?

Damien
07-11-2006, 23:15
Yep as the oh-so-funny topic name suggests, Will we have a Wii section. We have Playstation and Xbox 360. I think the Wii will be popular and warrents its own section! I am getting one thats for sure (hopefully, I had to pre-order again to day thanks to the fact that I am stupid).

But on topic. I think a Nintendo (so it covers DS as well) sub-forum is needed :tu:

Viva la Nintendo

Halcyon
08-11-2006, 21:39
Definately a good idea....I can see many people wanting to experience the new gaming possibilities of the Wii so a forum would be good. :tu:

Druchii
08-11-2006, 21:41
I have a DS Lite, i'd love to know where to get cheaper games for it, and the homebrew etc... ;)

If others had one this could be a good idea :)

Halcyon
08-11-2006, 21:50
Druchi, I have a friend who buys a lot of games and imports for the DS from PlayAsia. He says it is a good site and that shipping is quick too.
http://www.play-asia.com/

Druchii
08-11-2006, 21:57
Sounds good to me :) I'll take a look now :)

Damien
08-11-2006, 22:02
Yeh, Thats why it should be called Nintendo! So the DS is included.

Druchii
08-11-2006, 22:10
That site seems cheaper :) Thank Halc.

And Damien, i like the idea, i know alot of people will probably buy the Wii over the PS3. (Or both)

Damien
08-11-2006, 22:17
Wii will likely be brought alongside, a PS3 or XBOX 360. But also dont forget the amounts of ninty fans and the newcomers this is sure to attact? (Like the DS did?)

Any mods wanna give a clue on if this is possible?

Chris W
08-11-2006, 23:21
It depends how much real demand there is for the forum. I seem to remember that we used to have a Gamecube subforum (or was it in with another console, can't remember now) and that wasn't exactly the life and soul of the forum.

However, the idea will certainly be considered so i'll leave you with....... maybe.

Damien
08-11-2006, 23:49
It depends how much real demand there is for the forum. I seem to remember that we used to have a Gamecube subforum (or was it in with another console, can't remember now) and that wasn't exactly the life and soul of the forum.

However, the idea will certainly be considered so i'll leave you with....... maybe.

Cool, Just should mention that the Gamecube was a failure in a lot of senses. Although it did turn a profit and have some great games.

But in the last year or so Nintendo have shot up in popuarity. The DS is already much much more popular than the Gamecube and is outselling the PSP.

The Wii is a new console so it bound to generate a lot of buzz for the first two years at least, if its a success then longer. It already getting a lot of positive press and even hardcore 'nintendo are for kids' people are liking the Wii.

The DS and Wii also have a different audience in those who never used to play games...

In the end, Xbox 360 and PS3 will all have the same kind of games and the same way to play them. The Wii and DS not only have the wide range of Nintendo games, but also the different ways to play those games. It is a very different console to the rest.

In summary: The GC was a failure. But the DS is already more popular, add to that the upcoming Wii and the different controls methods and it will be a lot more mainstream. Just, please, do not use the Gamecube as a way to decide this is all i am saying :)

Paul
09-11-2006, 00:09
What exactly is Wii ? and how does it relate to a Nintendo DS ?

nffc
09-11-2006, 00:14
What exactly is Wii ? and how does it relate to a Nintendo DS ?

Wii is some silly nintendo game console more info here wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii)

All this talk about it p***es me off though :( :erm:

Halcyon
09-11-2006, 09:20
Wii was originally codenamed "Revolution". It is the next console to come out after Nintendo's Gamecube and features new ways of gameplay.

AndrewJ
09-11-2006, 09:31
I have my name down for one on December 8th.

Damien
09-11-2006, 10:07
Me too! With the new Zelda, Wii Play + 2nd Remote, another numchuck, and a classic controller (for the virtual console)

SOSAGES
09-11-2006, 10:16
it will be interesting to see how easy or hard it is to crack the secruity on Wii - in my opinion a games console isnt worth buying until u can start to tinker with it, but saying that the wii does look fun if only u could buy one in this country some time this year (unless u pre ordered in 2004)

i have never been interested in nintendo before - a bit childish for me (imo) but they do make some great games.

Damien
09-11-2006, 10:37
I think Nintendo have produced enough consoles to avoid the Xbox style delays

SOSAGES
09-11-2006, 11:40
i had my doubts when pre-orderes were first given..and now pre-order sites all say they cant promise launch day delivery. not a big problem just goes to show how popular it is if the 4million made are snapped up this quickly

Damien
09-11-2006, 16:30
i had my doubts when pre-orderes were first given..and now pre-order sites all say they cant promise launch day delivery. not a big problem just goes to show how popular it is if the 4million made are snapped up this quickly

I think they are just saying that because of the troubles they had with the xbox. Wii will have a lot more consoles produced than the 360 did.

SOSAGES
09-11-2006, 16:59
i dont think so - some stores have an idea of how much stock they will be getting of the initial 4 million units - in fact i doubt they know how many europe will get until the release in a few weeks in the US.

xbox 360 is well on its way to selling 10 million units and the ps3 shortage stories have been on the net for some time and nintendo may have a problem as well - while the wii is easier to make and they ahve made loads of them it seems its very popular :)

personally im waiting to see what amazon.co.uk say and if they can promise launch day (they are one of the few major retailers to not offer pre-order yet simply because they dont know how many they get) i will buy from them - if nto i take my chances in the high street :)

Damien
09-11-2006, 17:21
I might keep an eye out for amazon. And then cancel either game or amazon depending which can give me one on release day.

Will try my local high street Game as well....

Tech_Boy
09-11-2006, 17:40
I was toying with the Idea of getting a Wii, untill I read up on the spec & backwards compatibility.

Now, I soooooo want one, with the price at £180 including 5 games, this knocks the PS3 & 360 into a cocked hat.

Retro gaming as well as al the latest games, I can't wait:D

Damien
09-11-2006, 18:38
I was toying with the Idea of getting a Wii, untill I read up on the spec & backwards compatibility.

Now, I soooooo want one, with the price at £180 including 5 games, this knocks the PS3 & 360 into a cocked hat.

Retro gaming as well as al the latest games, I can't wait:D

You only get one game, Wii Sports.

I recommend Zelda is a must get though, really should be considers as part of the cost!

The Virtual Console sounds fun!
Supper Mario 64 will be there from day one! :D

AndrewJ
09-11-2006, 18:41
I plan on COD3 and Zelda!!!

Tech_Boy
09-11-2006, 19:07
[quote=Damien;34154471]You only get one game, Wii Sports.

but wii sports is 5 games in one;)
also looking forward to playing my GC games on it.

Damien
09-11-2006, 20:15
I looking forward to Zelda and the virtual console myself....Its costing me over £300 with all the adds on i got :( Extra control, numchunck, classic control, Zelda and Far cry. The console itself.

Tezcatlipoca
09-11-2006, 22:51
You only get one game, Wii Sports.

I recommend Zelda is a must get though, really should be considers as part of the cost!

The Virtual Console sounds fun!
Supper Mario 64 will be there from day one! :D

What about GoldenEye?

No point playing N64 games if there's no GoldenEye.

The Wii looks so damn cool.

NEONKNIGHT
09-11-2006, 23:02
I just wish Nintendo would produce games for the xbox360. ;)

SOSAGES
10-11-2006, 09:42
if u try ur local game they will probably say that u will have to wait for the second shipment of units - at least thats the case round my part of the world.
i did find a woolies offering pre-orders and they said they didnt have anyone sign up yet so i put my name down first on the list and they said when they get one it will be mine first .

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Nintendo said this:

“In Europe Nintendo is maximising all its resources to ensure that there is a good quantity of stock available in Europe at launch and a regular supply of Wii consoles coming into the market from launch through 2007.”
“However due to the phenomenal pace of pre-orders over recent weeks, it is likely that demand will outstrip supply at launch.”

robtufts
10-11-2006, 12:28
I pre-ordered mine from Game a few months back now and got a letter through the other day that I'm guarranteed one from launch with them so I'm a happy bunny (until I turn up and find they have sold them all).

Damien
10-11-2006, 15:25
I put my name down today in case game.co.uk cannot provide me with one...

SOSAGES
10-11-2006, 16:07
i seriously doubt if i pre order now from a store offering pre orders for some time u will get one on launch day - more likely early 2007.

Stephen
10-11-2006, 17:29
I don't mind if I can't have a Wii at launch :)

There are so many great 360 games out I don't think I could afford to pay for it just now.

Tezcatlipoca
10-11-2006, 21:26
I don't mind if I can't have a Wii at launch :)

There are so many great 360 games out I don't think I could afford to pay for it just now.

Same here. I do definitely want to get one, but already have a few more upcoming 360 games I want to get, and other stuff, so I think the Wii will have to wait 'till next year.

NEONKNIGHT
10-11-2006, 23:29
Hmmm! Still not entirely convinced about Nintys new console, its definately a novel approach as always by the big N. The one thing that would make me want the console is the fact of the Zelda game but to spend £200+ for a chance of playing a game is a bit on the expensive-can't-justify-it side of things. I did have my name on the 'might be interested' list at GAME but havn't bothered with anything more since then.

Jarandco
10-11-2006, 23:44
Can always sell it if theres a stock shortage and you dont want it! Ive gone for one, as i dont want a PS3, well not at its current price anyway, and the Wii is different from the 360 so gives some variety! Looks like it could be fun espicially with a lot of you!

Damien
11-11-2006, 01:11
I wish Super Mario would be out on release day as well. Its a shame, and there has been no mention of mario kart at all yet.

SOSAGES
13-11-2006, 12:44
in case u missed it (and what i was waiting for)

If you're into gaming as much as we are, then December 8, 2006 will no doubt be etched into your brain as the day that Nintendo launches their Wii console in the UK.
Well, we've got another date for you: Tuesday, November 21, 2006. This is the day Amazon.co.uk will start taking pre-orders for the Wii

so stay up late on monday :)

Damien
13-11-2006, 12:47
I will be :D Hoping game get back to me quicker about if i have one for launch day

popper
13-11-2006, 12:56
I have a DS Lite, i'd love to know where to get cheaper games for it, and the homebrew etc... ;)

If others had one this could be a good idea :)

well you learn something new every day
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/
"
Remember that the Nintendo DS also Plays GBA Emulators and Homebrew & Check out Our Wii News Site "
The Nintendo DS is a great console, not only for the games released for it but also the GBA mode support too, with the help of a GBA Flash Cart (http://www.divineo.com/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum&prod=dd-gba-scl) you can play hundreds of Homebrew games and emulators on your DS, more info at the worlds leading GBA Emulation Site (http://gbaemu.dcemu.co.uk/) . Also for the Latest in Wii news and much more check out Wii News (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/). "

anyone got a link to the real and full tech spec sheets etc, cant seem to find anything real and confirmed yet?.

http://search.ntlworld.com/ntlworld/search.php?q=homebrew+DS+Lite&cr=&x=37&y=7

AndrewJ
13-11-2006, 13:01
I would like a ps3 but the price is stupid plus I want to see how it fairs up in reviews, I hated the ps2 because when gaming away all you could hear on GTA San Andreas ( my fav game ever for ps2 ) was the damn dvd drive going "clunk clunk wireee clunk clunk" drove me up the wall that much I traded my ps2 in and bought the game for pc :D

Damien
13-11-2006, 13:21
"
Remember that the Nintendo DS also Plays GBA Emulators and Homebrew & Check out Our Wii News Site "
The Nintendo DS is a great console, not only for the games released for it but also the GBA mode support too, with the help of a GBA Flash Cart (http://www.divineo.com/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum&prod=dd-gba-scl) you can play hundreds of Homebrew games and emulators on your DS, more info at the worlds leading GBA Emulation Site (http://gbaemu.dcemu.co.uk/) . Also for the Latest in Wii news and much more check out Wii News (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/). "

anyone got a link to the real and full tech spec sheets etc, cant seem to find anything real and confirmed yet?.

Nintendo did not want to release the specs highlighting they were not about making the console powerful

popper
13-11-2006, 13:33
http://xbox360homebrew.com/blogs/homebrew360/archive/2006/10/26/1193.aspx
Check out this video on using the Nintendo Wii's LiveMotion tool. If for no other reason than to watch the speaker do the funky chicken, it is interesting to see how they "record" input on the Wii's controller.

Druchii
14-11-2006, 20:45
"

Niiiice, right now however, i've to find another£200 for a decent bike, so homebrew is out the question for now. Looks like i will have to stick to a web based messenger.

Damien
19-11-2006, 22:27
Game emailed me to say they wont have a Wii for me :(

Gonna have to try and get the amazon ones....oh dear

liamboyle06
20-11-2006, 08:49
Is there anywhere, that will be able to deliver before Christmas, If I tried preordering now?

SOSAGES
20-11-2006, 09:50
unlikely - but try amazon on the 21st.

Damien
20-11-2006, 14:28
unlikely - but try amazon on the 21st.

Not before I get mine though

SOSAGES
20-11-2006, 15:53
9am it starts.
make sure ur cc details and address are already stored in ur account

Damien
20-11-2006, 16:22
I have one-click all set up. I will post here with a big happy post if I get one :D or a big angry, likely-to-cause-a-banning post if I dont

joking of course.....

Jarandco
20-11-2006, 17:26
Is there anywhere, that will be able to deliver before Christmas, If I tried preordering now?

Yeah woolworths have loads left for launch, only about 1/3 of the launch allocation has been pre-ordered, so you can order online or instore!:D

Damien
20-11-2006, 23:46
Yeah woolworths have loads left for launch, only about 1/3 of the launch allocation has been pre-ordered, so you can order online or instore!:D

Dude, I love you :tu:

liamboyle06
21-11-2006, 09:10

Cheers for that, Ordered a system today, Just hope it gets here on time now.:tu:

Damien
21-11-2006, 10:56
Wooooo! I got one off amazon. I had to keep refreshing the page though. They all sold out in under 2 minutes to top to off. You had to be quick

liamboyle06
21-11-2006, 11:01
Wooooo! I got one off amazon. I had to keep refreshing the page though. They all sold out in under 2 minutes to top to off. You had to be quick
i tried there also, and kept refreshing the page, but would not allow me to buy it, hence went to woolworths.
Congrats all teh same though.:tu:

Gareth
18-12-2006, 01:15
This one has puzzled me for a while... why is there a section for Sony's consoles, and another one for Microsoft's consoles, yet not one for Nintendo's?

Considering the DS has massively outsold the PSP, and the Wii has generated even more publicity than the 360 did this time last year, I'd have thought it would make sense to expand this area of the forums by adding an extra section for any Ninty-related threads.

Anyone care to comment?

Tezcatlipoca
18-12-2006, 01:38
This one has puzzled me for a while... why is there a section for Sony's consoles, and another one for Microsoft's consoles, yet not one for Nintendo's?

Considering the DS has massively outsold the PSP, and the Wii has generated even more publicity than the 360 did this time last year, I'd have thought it would make sense to expand this area of the forums by adding an extra section for any Ninty-related threads.

Anyone care to comment?

Merged with previous "Will Wii have a Wii section" thread

We used to have a Gamecube section, but that section died a quiet death.

But, as you say, the Wii & the DS are doing very well.

I think, originally, there were PS2 & XBox sections due to ntl having, at the time, their "broadband & console service" (?), & the PS2 & XBox sections were subforums within the ntl Broadband forum. They then eventually moved to "Gaming", while at some point the 'Cube forum (which had always been in "Gaming") then died.

Personally, not speaking for the Team, I'd agree with a Nintendo section, seeing as we have Sony & MS console sections.

Depends on demand though.

Damien
27-01-2007, 14:13
Any progress (I swear this will be the last time I ask). I think we can get a good assessment of the progress and demand of the Wii now :)

dilli-theclaw
27-01-2007, 14:15
HHHmmm I remember the gamecube section, constantly being ruined by one or two people.

Sad really......

Shadow Demon UK
27-01-2007, 15:10
Any progress (I swear this will be the last time I ask). I think we can get a good assessment of the progress and demand of the Wii now :)

I think it would be a good idea, the majority of threads in the gaming section are Wii/Nintendo related :tu:

ikthius
27-01-2007, 15:19
I for one would like a Wii section, cause it will be easier to find.

ik

Gareth
27-01-2007, 22:44
I think that judging by the number of Nintendo posts made recently it's justifiable - not least to keep the forum tidy

zing_deleted
27-01-2007, 22:55
I love the Wii I aint played a pc game since wednesday. Im using the Wii sports as part of my exercise routine and must say you get a real sweat on. This is the top console imo as its dared to be different. Ive had quite a few visits since I sent my I got a Wii texts round and so far everyone loves it. However I dont have any intention of adding to my wii collection im happy with wii sports and zelda wish I didnt bother with Red Steel I may buy play but that will be it so for me a Wii section will be pointless but I agree its as valid a console as the PSwhatever and the xbox pair
A second however however why isnt there a PC gamers section? as these are all just chucked under gaming and there is a vast number of pc games and gamers

dilli-theclaw
27-01-2007, 22:57
Sounds like Zingle has been taken by the pod people!!!! ;) :)

Ripspark
06-02-2007, 18:03
I;ve had a nintendo wii for about 7 days now, it is truly one of the best gameing exp. me and my family have ever had!

Gareth
06-02-2007, 19:03
Slightly O/T, but what games you got, Ripspark?

Ripspark
07-02-2007, 07:32
We have Red Steel, WiiPlay, Rayman Raving Rabbits, Zelda, Smooth Moves and Sports (of course).

After having a 360 (which by 14 mnths had died) and while thinking of picking up another one, I decided it try out the Wii, I have to admit its the first Console that has my whole family playing...:)