PDA

View Full Version : Question for NTL - packetloss and disconnection problem in Luton area

Heedyheed
07-11-2006, 11:09
For many, many weeks I've been seeing frequent internet disconnections and timeouts here near Luton. Recently I've been using ping plotter (www.pingplotter.com (http://www.pingplotter.com)) to gather evidence about the problem in preparation for a battle with NTL. This showed I was getting 100% packet loss several times an hour throughout the day. Typically the breaks would be around a minute long while the longest recorded over a couple of weeks testing was 13 minutes. When ping plotter detected packet loss I would also lose all internet connectivity, so it wasn't just a case of the low-priority ICMP traffic getting dropped. The only time that was relatively free from packet loss was between midnight and six or seven in the morning, so it looks as though it was related to the load on the network. Ping plotter also reported numerous route changes during the time I was using it.

However, for the last 48 hours or so the problem has disappeared - ping plotter shows almost no packet loss at all, there have been no more route changes recorded and I haven't had any connection timeouts either.

In the early days of the problem I called CS several times and had the usual conversations about rebooting PC and modem, checking for viruses and spyware, etc, etc, etc, (none of which made any difference).

In the light of this I have a couple of questions for NTL:-

First, why not be more up-front with your customers about problems on the network? It's bad enough having to put up with an unreliable internet service, but it's far worse if the customer has to spend hours investigating and experimenting in order to eliminate any fault in his own equipment. A few more honest entries on the status pages would allow customers to see where they might be being affected by a problem on the NTL network.

So, if users in the xyz area are suffering poor performance because a node needs to be upgraded or because there's an unresolved fault, you should be proactively telling us all about it.

Second, what tools does NTL use to monitor its network and do they go as far as monitoring the kit in the local distribution cabinet in the street at port level, or is it only the main backbone that's monitored? Presumably NTL has the option to proactively look for evidence of developing intermittent faults on its network before they become too obvious to the customer? If that's the case why is it almost always a struggle to 'prove' to NTL that a problem is caused by their network and not the customer's equipment?

Mike

(Very happy with NTL when it all works, but unhappy with the way they handle faults)

lauzjp
07-11-2006, 17:21
I am in LU1 but I have no idea what you are on about... net seems to work fine for me. I can't complain. I suppose if I was doing anything like gaming I might be stressed, but my other half's brother plays WoW at 1mb still and has little bother?

Heedyheed
07-11-2006, 18:26
Glad to hear you don't have similar problems. I'm not actually in Luton, but I connect to the 'Luton' infrastructure as far as NTL is concerned; for instance the third hop in a tracert gets a response from lutn-t2core-a-ge-wan61-inet.ntl.com.

I'd have been surprised if the whole 'Luton area' had been similarly affected with packet loss and disconnections - NTL would have been swamped in customer complaints. The problem I had is obviously something that's much more local - maybe just affecting users who connect to the same local cabinet as I do. Or maybe it was only affecting me all along - although it's still working fine at the moment and I've made absolutely NO changes to my PC/modem, etc. Looking at the pattern of packet loss v time, it looks like the problem was dependent on network load - nothing to do with traffic generated by my PC. For that reason I believe it was an NTL problem.

That's why I was hoping for a response from one of the NTL engineering employees who monitor this forum. It would be useful to know to what level they are able to monitor the network for performance bottlenecks and faults. It would also be interesting to hear why NTL are so coy about admitting when they have a problem.

Anyone from NTL care to respond to the points raised in my original post?

Mike

darkone338
08-11-2006, 11:41
Anyone from NTL care to respond to the points raised in my original post?

Mike

As this isnt an official NTL forum, youre very unlikely to get an official response.

What modem do you have ?
I'm not in your area, but a colleague at work who is in Welwyn has recently had to have his old Terajet modem replaced due to network upgrades causing diconnections and the like.
I have also just had this issue in my area.

Heedyheed
08-11-2006, 11:58
As this isnt an official NTL forum, youre very unlikely to get an official response.

Is there an official one, then? I thought this was as close to 'official' as it gets? I wasn't really expecting an official response, just maybe an opinion from someone who works for NTL.

What modem do you have ?
I'm not in your area, but a colleague at work who is in Welwyn has recently had to have his old Terajet modem replaced due to network upgrades causing diconnections and the like.
I have also just had this issue in my area.

I've still got the Terajet 210 and I have the 2meg service. I was getting ready to argue for its replacement when the problem disappeared. It's now been running for over 4 days without any packet loss or disconnections.

By the way, does anyone know how I can tell if my area is still on QAM64 or has had the upgrade to QAM256 - the Terajet 210 doesn't allow access to it's configuration details as far as I know...

Mike

darkone338
08-11-2006, 12:08
Is there an official one, then? I thought this was as close to 'official' as it gets? I wasn't really expecting an official response, just maybe an opinion from someone who works for NTL.

I've still got the Terajet 210 and I have the 2meg service. I was getting ready to argue for its replacement when the problem disappeared. It's now been running for over 4 days without any packet loss or disconnections.

By the way, does anyone know how I can tell if my area is still on QAM64 or has had the upgrade to QAM256 - the Terajet 210 doesn't allow access to it's configuration details as far as I know...

Mike

My colleagues area was upgraded to QAM256 which was exactly why he had to get his modem changed. Hes in AL8.