PDA

View Full Version : Moving my computer downstairs

Syms
05-11-2006, 19:39
Hi all,

I want to move the PC from upstairs to the living room. At the moment the PC has its own cable fed upstairs from outside as well as the TV feed downstairs, my question is can I use a splitter on the downstairs feed, or do I need to get the upstairs cable relocated? If the latter, will this have to be done by Telewest, and at what cost?

thanks,
Sym.

Paul K
05-11-2006, 19:45
Best would be to pay £25 and ask TW/NTL to move it, either that or you could futureproof your setup a bit more via a wireless router, that way all the messy cables stay upstairs out of the way and your PC can be anywhere else in the house with a wireless card in it to pick up the feed.
You can DIY it but if it goes wrong you will end up having to pay out again when TW sends an engineer out to sort it out for you, plus you can cause issues on the local network if you get the connections wrong and end up causing problems with signal levels etc.

Syms
05-11-2006, 20:03
Thanks for that Paul, I'll have to look into wireless me thinks.

cheers,
Sym.

deathtrap3000
05-11-2006, 20:38
I you do go down the wireless route only buy a cheap router seeing as a new standard of wireless should be out soon. You dont want to spend alot of money buying a router that will be obsolite in a few months.

SnoopZ
05-11-2006, 21:02
Thanks for that Paul, I'll have to look into wireless me thinks.

cheers,
Sym.

Check this router deal out for £39.99 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034

Wicked_and_Crazy
05-11-2006, 21:05
I you do go down the wireless route only buy a cheap router seeing as a new standard of wireless should be out soon. You dont want to spend alot of money buying a router that will be obsolite in a few months.

why would a router become obsolete? its not as if your changing the function it performs and therefoe going to need a new one. Speeds may of course change, however I'd go for the router as your geting added protecton in the way of a firewall too.

Rapid Dr3am
06-11-2006, 10:14
An SRO would cost £75 for a move.