PDA

View Full Version : How installation works - No NTL sockets in my house

nizmo
04-11-2006, 17:08
Hi, I am moving home and the new house doesnt have any NTL cable sockets in there, only bt ones. On the NTL website is says I can get cable for my house.

The reason I am wondering about this is that I dont want to be charged for installation if they have to run a cable into the house, etc. Would anyone know what the process was ?

Also we have spoken to the owner of the house and he says its fine and we can get ntl as it runs through the bt plugs, all is needed is the engineer to install the ntl plug sockets. Is this correct ?

Also we would need two sockets in the house , 1 for the cable tv downstairs and 1 for the cable internet upstairs, Is this charged for extra ?

There are bt phone sockets in every room, as well as tv antenna phone sockets already in each room. are these used to put cable in ?

Thanks for any help u can give me,

Nizmo

Druchii
04-11-2006, 17:23
They will install everything themselves, even right down to RG11 or RG6 cable from the green cabinet, underground to your house. They will then split the cable into whatever points you are going to need. So, for the phone, they will fit there own socket, and with broadband they will spliut the cable and add it to the end of that. It shouldn't cause any problems at all, and is very tidy.

Your broadband doesn't come through a standard phone socket with NTL:TW, it comes direct from the cable itself ;)

nizmo
04-11-2006, 17:27
Thanks for your reply,

so it should all be fine and I will not be charged for the installation at all ? what about the extra socket that I will need in the upstairs bedroom ?

Would anything need to be dug up ? or is there space already underground where cables will be fed ?

Thanks again

Druchii
04-11-2006, 17:29
There's already space underground, they simply push a cable through and all is well :)

Usually they ask where you want things installed, so the upstairs socket should be fine :) As long as it's nowhere silly like in the loft or over the roof they're normally really good with socket placements :)

nizmo
04-11-2006, 17:37
Thank you very much for the help, seems Ive been worring about nothing ! :)

Druchii
04-11-2006, 17:42
Indeed :) Also, welcome to the forum :D

SnoopZ
04-11-2006, 17:48
NTL used some of the wires in my BT socket and just installed theirs next to it.

Marge
04-11-2006, 17:53
If it is a rented property and hasn't had any ntl services before then it may needed written permission from the landlord (ie wayleave forms to be signed)

nizmo
04-11-2006, 21:11
If it is a rented property and hasn't had any ntl services before then it may needed written permission from the landlord (ie wayleave forms to be signed)

Would these forms need to be organised before the installation guys comes , so he can see it ?

Paul K
04-11-2006, 21:53
Yep, wayleave needs to be arranged before the install can occur. Did you mention to NTL that you rent?

Shaun
04-11-2006, 22:22
Just don't tell them :)

nizmo
05-11-2006, 00:38
Just don't tell them :)

Thats what I thought,

and no, we havent mentioned to ntl that we rent

Marge
05-11-2006, 01:13
Thats what I thought,

and no, we havent mentioned to ntl that we rent

well, don't come moaning here if the crew won't install on the day cos it might need permission ;) I've seen it plenty of times cos that particular job used to be mine....... ntl have a requirement to ensure that they are legally entitled to install in someones property and if it's not yours to give the permission then who knows what will happen !!

Druchii
05-11-2006, 01:22
Our house is rented, Telewest installed here no problem. Then again, quite a lot of the houses round here are owned by the same guy, and quite a few have TW installed... So maybe they go on that as well?

Shaun
05-11-2006, 02:07
Ntl never asked us for it here or from my other half in his old flat. :shrug: