PDA

View Full Version : Awful Speeds recently in the Oxford Area

PC_Arcade
03-11-2006, 18:41
My speeds for the last two evenings have been terrible, I'm on 10mb and can usually hit this using Usenet, however the last 2 nights have seen speeds struggling to get over the 1mb mark.

Is it a problem in Oxford, traffic shaping or something else?

I called faults and apparently there WAS a problem in my postcode area, but it's allegedly fixed.

PC_Arcade
06-11-2006, 19:06
Just as a follow on from this, it's taken me until today to speak to someone who both understood and could help (i.e escalate the problem).

The Indian call centre KEPT insisting the problem was at my end despite repeated attempts to persuade them it wasn't. Today I finally spoke to someone who both spoke competent English and understood the technical side of things well enough to diagnose the problem more or less immediately.

It's taken me nearly a week to get NTL to belive me that the problem is NOT my PC, nor my router but something at their end.

It's INCREDIBLY frustrating as I've rebuilt my pfsense router with new NIC's and new configurations over and over again because I've been repeatedly told it's MY problem

The Indian call centre reflects VERY badly on NTL as the British staff I have spoken to are always competent and able to deal with problems correctly, in marked contrast to their Indian colleagues.

I've had hours of wasted time on this due the incompetent Indian call centre and am seriously fed up with NTL at the moment :(

stepp
06-11-2006, 19:15
Mate dont listen to the indian call centre people, they talk balls....i had a fault with my modem being intermittiant, it took me about half hour to actually explain to the person the problem, and still they were rude to me. In the end i gave them some serious verbal and slung the phone down.

I give up with NTL and repaired the fault myself ( crappy jack on the psu ).

As for speeds being slow, im on 10 meg in the Reading area and my speed has been poor for the last 2 weeks.

sakiblateef
06-11-2006, 21:35
It seems like it's a nation wide problem at the moment. Lets hope they fix it soon.

crushednutts
06-11-2006, 23:18
Also in Oxford on 10mb, Did a speed test and getting faster Up than down tonight.

Getting 422kb/s down and 455kb/s up.
I'm considering dropping to 4mb then I won't feel so cheated.

bywater
06-11-2006, 23:26
Coventry Area 4Mbs Not Good Either

Downstream267.2 Kbps( = 0.3 Mbps ) Upstream242.6 Kbps( = 0.2 Mbps )