PDA

View Full Version : No internet for the second day

madman045
03-11-2006, 17:32
Is anyone else having issues with their internet in the Loughborough area?

We have been without the internet for two days, even the cable light if off on the modem.

I have left it unplugged for an hour, plugged it back in, the cable light flashes for around and minute and then goes out.

I dont see any known outages on the NTL site.

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
03-11-2006, 17:40
If my internet had been out for more than a couple of hours, I'd have been phoning faults, especially when you can do that for free now from an ntl phone line.

DES_1001
03-11-2006, 18:21
me too! i'd have tried rebooting a couple of times then i would be on the phone.

madman045
10-11-2006, 12:06
I found out what the problem is from the NTL engineer that came this morning.

NTL have changed their network in the last week and Terayon modems no longer work with it, so they are having to replace them, but NTL have not told their customers.

Nice to see nothing changes....

Will see if it works tonight as we are waiting for the new mac address to kick in on NTLs database..

Doofy
10-11-2006, 12:24
I found out what the problem is from the NTL engineer that came this morning.

NTL have changed their network in the last week and Terayon modems no longer work with it, so they are having to replace them, but NTL have not told their customers.

Nice to see nothing changes....

Will see if it works tonight as we are waiting for the new mac address to kick in on NTLs database..

Not being an expert on these things des that sound right to anyone? only asking because at least a few people i know of around here have the terayon modem and running no problems, well apart from the dodgy connections going on at the moment but we all have that now. I also had my modem changed my sb4100 died and the ntl 250 that was brought in is great and the mac address was sorted within minutes.

Tim Lloyd
10-11-2006, 14:42
We're in Wokingham (Reading area) and have had no network or at best intermittent and slow connections since Monday.
ntl server status has been talking about a rolling program of maintenance all week. Is there a big network problem somewhere?
Engineer is coming tomorrow afternoon (that's all the call centre could suggest).
Anyone else think that a new modem will fix it? We have a Terayon.

Tim Lloyd
11-11-2006, 18:01
It's all true. The Terayon modems no longer work on the ntl system.
Engineer just fitted a new 250 modem and all is now working fine.
I'll post this as a new thread as e country must be full of people with the same problem.

mmm
11-11-2006, 19:12
Not being an expert on these things des that sound right to anyone? only asking because at least a few people i know of around here have the terayon modem and running no problems, well apart from the dodgy connections going on at the moment but we all have that now. I also had my modem changed my sb4100 died and the ntl 250 that was brought in is great and the mac address was sorted within minutes.

We've been discussing this over on chetnet for some time, it appears that the Terayon does work when they change the network to QAM256 'under ideal conditions', but an associated change in signal strength has them dropping like flies. The failures are also 'intermittent' so don't affect everyone at exactly the same time. The field service engineers know all about it and swap the modems out on sight - it is pathetic that ntl can't be more efficient and swap them out in proper campaigns.

ludditeal
12-11-2006, 10:59
I live in Coalville which is just over the hill from Loughbroough and NTL came this morning to swap my Terayon out... it worked but ran dog slow....
It took me 2 phone calls to CS and a promise that I would pay for the engineer if it turned out to be my PC which is what they claimed it was... With the PC unplugged they could ping the modem fine... as soon as the PC/Router was plugged in they saw ping times of 2000ms or more. I had one guy from the UK with a welsh accent and the 2nd time was India.
Soon as the engineer walked through the door he said... Terayon... they don't work any more.. you need a new modem... swapped it for a 250.
Had to use dial-up for my work last night.. like living in the dark ages :)
Cheers
Allan

Jules
12-11-2006, 12:49
I am just amazed that NTL know it is a problem yet do nothing to change the modems until the customer gets in touch!

anduin
12-11-2006, 14:03
To be fair if not all of them are affected why should they? Anyone affected surely will be calling in and they'll get it swapped.

Just my 2p