PDA

View Full Version : Blue Yonder security package / NTL Netguard

poor_student
02-11-2006, 18:28
My parents have had Telewets broadband for ove a year now. 2 weeks ago, the computer was damaged and was disconnected until a new one was bought. On connecting the computer and downloading blueYonder, it stated that some of the services were subscription only (specifically, antivirus, firewall and popup blocker). I contacted customer services who said that the previous one was a trial only.

The thing is, when I originally set up the system, there was no mention of it being a trial (and a trial lasting over a year?). I am also on NTL, and that security suite has all the asme features I have always had with no need for extra payment.

Just to add, the customer services dept upgrade free of charge thh service to 4 meg (it has always been 2 meg) for six months. I said that 4 meg wasnt required, and that it would be cheaper for them just to add on the antivirus, but this was apparently impossible!
One thing that reallu gets me is that, when I said "Yes" to teh antivirus option, it asked me to remove Norton Antivirus (which was a trial only) only then to tell me taht it needs to be paid for!

can someone tell me what is going on? Why are existing customers suddenly being asked, without notice, to pay for a service taht has always been free of charge?

Cozzy
04-11-2006, 20:01
Hi

cant answer why things have changed but can advise there are far better products out there for anti-virus & firewall protection ..

some very good commercial products and some equally good freeware products .. just google around or click link in sig (requires registration) and we list several great packages both free and commercial

from all ive read most people advice throwing the telewest/ntl disc straight in the bin .. or at least not to use the 'safety package' as its not actually very good at what its meant to do .. cant say from personal experience as i didnt even try it .. stayed with what i have known for years ;)

sorry not much help but i saw no one had answered so thought id at least chip in so you didnt feel ignored

Cozzy

fireman328
04-11-2006, 20:25
I too am having serious problems with NTL Netguard but it will not let me uninstall from add/remove programmes, it keeps coming up with a message Error 1719, it is driving me nuts. I really want to dump this heap of **** does anyone know how ?

poor_student
04-11-2006, 20:46
Hi

cant answer why things have changed but can advise there are far better products out there for anti-virus & firewall protection ..

some very good commercial products and some equally good freeware products .. just google around or click link in sig (requires registration) and we list several great packages both free and commercial

from all ive read most people advice throwing the telewest/ntl disc straight in the bin .. or at least not to use the 'safety package' as its not actually very good at what its meant to do .. cant say from personal experience as i didnt even try it .. stayed with what i have known for years ;)

sorry not much help but i saw no one had answered so thought id at least chip in so you didnt feel ignored

Cozzy

Quite ok, thanks for a reply. To be honest, Ive not had any problems since using netguard. i used to use Norton, but my computer kept hanging every five bloody minutes, which is why i dumped the free trial on my parents computer in preference of telewests version. they have grisoft antivirus on at the mo and windows defender, as well as several other free packages (spybot S&D and teh likes). hopefully taht will keep it going, but knowing the cr*p my brother downloads - who knows!

Cozzy
05-11-2006, 15:17
I too am having serious problems with NTL Netguard but it will not let me uninstall from add/remove programmes, it keeps coming up with a message Error 1719, it is driving me nuts. I really want to dump this heap of **** does anyone know how ?

at a very rough guess and im just guessing ... it maybe that its still actually running in the background as your trying to uninstall it ... have you tried uninstalling from safe mode .. worth a shot at least .. or need look to see if it has any services running and terminate them before you start the uninstall process

hope thats a little help

Cozzy

don_fandango
09-11-2006, 01:09
On connecting the computer and downloading blueYonder, it stated that some of the services were subscription only (specifically, antivirus, firewall and popup blocker). I contacted customer services who said that the previous one was a trial only.

specifically, firewall and pop blocker are free services to all blueyonder customers, antivirus, antispyware, identity theft, and child protection services are subscription only.

Why are existing customers suddenly being asked, without notice, to pay for a service taht has always been free of charge?

you would have been sent an email to your blueyonder account regarding the end of the free trial and also there was information supplied with your april/may bill, i dnt know about any1 else but i also got pop ups from pcguard saying that the trial was coming to an end.