PDA

View Full Version : my view on NTL

nho1993
31-10-2006, 21:23
Hey,

I don think NTL are bad at all, i joined htem in january, they came and installed 2 days later. always getting full speeds on downloads of arround 1.2MB anytime of the day, just wondering why so many people have problems with speeds???

By the way im on 10MB BB and concidering changing my phone to NTL:tu:

Toto
31-10-2006, 21:44
Hey,

I don think NTL are bad at all, i joined htem in january, they came and installed 2 days later. always getting full speeds on downloads of arround 1.2MB anytime of the day, just wondering why so many people have problems with speeds???

By the way im on 10MB BB and concidering changing my phone to NTL:tu:

My Speed is normally fairly good, although recently there have been some issues in my area.

All other services I have with ntl are great, no billing problems and the like, but mine is not the experience of some, an hour on this site will show that :)

Shaun
31-10-2006, 21:55
If you're thinking about changing your phone provider then take a look here frst ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34142257&postcount=34

nho1993
31-10-2006, 22:09
i cant get on vonage, have to keep my number the same, i would like ot but cant :(

Rik
31-10-2006, 22:55
NTL overall have been fantastic.
Great 10meg (Full Speed 24/7)
TV not bad, not fantastic tho, VOD to be added to my town soon :)

NOW CAN I HAVE 20MEG PLEASE :D

Shaun
31-10-2006, 22:58
i cant get on vonage, have to keep my number the same, i would like ot but cant :(

You may not get to keep it with Ntl mate :)

nho1993
02-11-2006, 22:07
You may not get to keep it with Ntl mate :)

whys that :)

Shaun
04-11-2006, 15:30
Because they can't take over all number. They refused to take our BT number to them.

Saying that I was glad when we left and moved to another provider - the loss of our number was a small price to pay for the BIG savings we got from moving to a VOIP company. :)

FusionXN1
04-11-2006, 17:39
i get 9 - 9.8mb and sometimes 4 - 6mb but it seems since i got this internet around a month ago i get 9 - 9.8mb most of the time never over 1.19mb/s tho (on linux i get 1.22mb/s)

Now:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/55.png

Does the length of the cable make any differance as this goes around my house and upstairs, the ntl boxes are right on the corner around 50 feet away!

Justy
04-11-2006, 22:22
i get 9 - 9.8mb and sometimes 4 - 6mb but it seems since i got this internet around a month ago i get 9 - 9.8mb most of the time never over 1.19mb/s tho (on linux i get 1.22mb/s)

Now:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/55.png

Does the length of the cable make any differance as this goes around my house and upstairs, the ntl boxes are right on the corner around 50 feet away!

wouldn't worry about 50 feet mate!!!

Bengie
04-11-2006, 22:31

Because they can't take over all number. They refused to take our BT number to them.

Saying that I was glad when we left and moved to another provider - the loss of our number was a small price to pay for the BIG savings we got from moving to a VOIP company. :)

Communications Act 2003

The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on her by section 65 of the Communications Act 2003, and following consultation with OFCOM and other appropriate persons in accordance with section 65(4) of that Act, hereby makes the following Order:

Operator or service provider portability is a facility that ultimately allows Subscribers to change the Communications Provider providing Publicly Available Telephone Services while keeping their Telephone Number. Such Portability must be provided by one Communications Provider (ie the Donor Provider) to another (ie the Recipient Provider) in accordance with the Functional Specification under obligations imposed on such Donor Providers under UK legislation implementing the provisions of Article 30 of the Universal Service Directive (2002/22/EC)(see further about those provisions under ‘Scope of Portability’ in this document).

Number portability is a regulated facility which enables subscribers of publicly available telephone services (including mobile services) to change their service provider whilst keeping their existing telephone number. Its purpose is to foster consumer choice and effective competition by enabling subscribers to switch between providers without the costs and inconvenience of changing telephone number.

Member States are required to ensure the provision of number portability to subscribers pursuant to Article 30 of the Universal Services Directive (2002/22/EU).

Directive 2002/22/EC (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexplus!prod!DocNumber&lg=en&type_doc=Directive&an_doc=2002&nu_doc=22) of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 March 2002 on universal service and users' rights relating to electronic communications networks and services (Universal Service Directive) [Official Journal L 108 of 24 April 2002].

The Communications Act received Royal Assent on 17 July 2003.

Shaun
04-11-2006, 23:40
However if there is a technical issues stopping them then no amount of legislation will make them. :)

Bengie
04-11-2006, 23:58
Legislation means they have to comply and if there is some technical reason then that must be sorted out so the can comply with the legislation.

(Sorry don't have an Mot on my car for technical reasons)

Shaun
05-11-2006, 00:50
Well if this is set in stone (and there is no get out clause as in most pieces of legislation) then why can't you port your number to or from vonage?

twins
05-11-2006, 17:35
Like for like may be the get out. You cannot port a mobile number to a landline number. So this would be the same between Voip, mobile and landline. Landline should include exchange lines and cable street box lines but sometimes there is a problem with that.

Shaun
05-11-2006, 20:20
So this would be the same between Voip.

MY VOIP number is no different to another land line - it begins 0116 just like my BT number. I don't think this is the reason :)

Nidge
05-11-2006, 20:25
NTL overall have been fantastic.
Great 10meg (Full Speed 24/7)
TV not bad, not fantastic tho, VOD to be added to my town soon :)

NOW CAN I HAVE 20MEG PLEASE :D

I've never had any issues with them, the install teams have been spot on, the UK based office staff in Nottingham have also been spot on, CS in India is another matter, totally inept.