PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Shortages for Japan Release

D_Skids
31-10-2006, 12:30
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/31/sony_ps3_japan_allocation/

If Sony can't produce enough components for its home country whats the betting us European consumers are going to get shafted again.
I would put my money on either the release date being put back to later than March or the release date will stay the same but hardly anybody will be able to get hold of them on or near to the realease date.
Maybe it will end up being a Christmas 2007 release!!:rolleyes:

zing_deleted
31-10-2006, 12:35
isnt the problem here that Sony have shot themselves in the foot and cant get Blue ray working properly?

MovedGoalPosts
31-10-2006, 12:42
All this will mean is an increased number of people going for the Xbox360 this Christmas, further establishing M$ in the console market.

Artificial shortages help to create hype on a product. It's all a marketing ploy.

D_Skids
31-10-2006, 12:57
I bet Nintendo are happy about this as I am thinking of getting a Wii to tide me over until the PS3 is out.

Halcyon
01-11-2006, 20:33
Nintendo are rolling on a pot of gold at the moment. The Wii will attract new gamers and the DS is still selling crazy amounts.

kronas
01-11-2006, 20:51
Artificial shortages help to create hype on a product. It's all a marketing ploy.

i did actually read a article sometime back about how companies could stockpile products, but it was stated that it would mean a huge debt burden on the company, as they need to shift as many units as possible as fast as can be made.

we all know its component shortages the blue laser diode cannot be produced enough in high quantities, so much so that sony has had slow down production of blu-ray players and shifted more lasers to the PS3.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Nintendo are rolling on a pot of gold at the moment. The Wii will attract new gamers and the DS is still selling crazy amounts.

i must admit the innovative controller is impressive, however, its uses much of its components as 'standard' so they dont have to deal with expensive new technology, thats not to say its not good, but its gives them a chance to ensure they can produce enough to cope with demand, 6-8 million wordwide by the end of the year its claimed.

kronas
02-11-2006, 02:38
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6160829.html

they reckon it will be four million units for the wii worldwide not bad :)

jtwn
02-11-2006, 02:53
If it is the case, we aren't really getting shafted trhey are just taking care of their home market, things are a bit different over there. They know elsewhere people can wait. The xmas rush would be better for them tho.

kronas
07-11-2006, 02:00
If it is the case, we aren't really getting shafted trhey are just taking care of their home market, things are a bit different over there. They know elsewhere people can wait. The xmas rush would be better for them tho.

im afraid japan is down the pecking order in sony's case, nintendo are the only company to prosper in the japanese market.

currently for sony territories sales is like this:

1) north america
2) europe
3) japan

so you see why november 11th (japan) then north america (17th) was important, sony in its arrogance knows europe will wait, no matter what!

kronas
09-11-2006, 01:35
just to prove what i mean read this:

Presumably having satisfied itself Hong Kong-based online games hardware retailer Lik-Sang.com is now safely out of the way, Sony has said the PS3 will go on sale in the territory on 17 November. Taiwan will get the next-generation console on the same day too.

Now it looks like Hong Kong and Taiwan will get machines that might once have been destined for Europe. But with speculation that the consumer electronics giant has already reduced Japan's allocation from 100,000 PS3s to 80,000, a reduction of 20 per cent, you have to wonder what Sony's up to.

the most painful one...

According to Electronic Arts estimates, Sony will ship 500,000-800,000 PS3 into the US market by the end of the year. Sony has said in the past that it hopes to ship 2m PS3s worldwide by the end of 2006

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/03/sony_announces_ps3_taiwan/

TheBlueRaja
12-11-2006, 14:03
Sony has exactly what they want - headlines stating that the PS3 has sold out on launch are now circulating round the internet and even the BBC has a story on it.

What i find amazing is that nobody questions the UK retail price, expected to be around 450 to 500 quid for the top end model when... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6135452.stm)

The PlayStation 3 (PS3) is being sold in two configurations. The more expensive version has a 60GB hard drive and wi-fi on board and costs, in Japan, 60,000 yen (£270). The cheaper version has a 20GB hard drive, lacks the wi-fi and will cost 49,980 yen (£222). European prices are expected to be higher than direct comparisons suggest.

kronas
12-11-2006, 14:14
you would think that the strong pound would make it cheaper.....

shawty
12-11-2006, 14:21
Sony has exactly what they want - headlines stating that the PS3 has sold out on launch are now circulating round the internet and even the BBC has a story on it.

What i find amazing is that nobody questions the UK retail price, expected to be around 450 to 500 quid for the top end model when... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6135452.stm)

Just to put a quick spin on it, if they had 5 million consoles for Japan on launch and 5 million for America they still would of sold out anyway. Its not like they only made 80,000 just so they could say they sold out on day one.

Yes the money side of it is a rip of but its just like everything else in this country.

TheBlueRaja
12-11-2006, 14:44
Just to put a quick spin on it, if they had 5 million consoles for Japan on launch and 5 million for America they still would of sold out anyway. Its not like they only made 80,000 just so they could say they sold out on day one.

Yes the money side of it is a rip of but its just like everything else in this country.

That console would sell out anywhere at that price.

shawty
12-11-2006, 15:10
That console would sell out anywhere at that price.

5 million PS3s in England would sell out on day 1 even at £425. Its obvious that Sony wanted to say they sold out, who wouldnt want that. The point is they never only made 80,000 in Japan just so they could say it. I know you never said they did but you post sounded like you were implying that.

kronas
12-11-2006, 15:18
5 million PS3s in England would sell out on day 1 even at £425. Its obvious that Sony wanted to say they sold out, who wouldnt want that. The point is they never only made 80,000 in Japan just so they could say it. I know you never said they did but you post sounded like you were implying that.

you have not read my previous posts in other threads, production problems concerning requiring key components, the blu-ray laser unit in large enough quantites is largely to blame for insufficient stock, i have also heard on top of the $3.3billion of debt they currently have (imagine the interest!) they wil aquire a futher $1 billion of debt from now until march, remember, sony make nothing on the PS3 itself, but will recoup on games! once the initial outlay per unit is over the minus threshold, it could be up to 5 years before sony sees a profit!

shawty
12-11-2006, 15:30
you have not read my previous posts in other threads, production problems concerning requiring key components, the blu-ray laser unit in large enough quantites is largely to blame for insufficient stock, i have also heard on top of the $3.3billion of debt they currently have (imagine the interest!) they wil aquire a futher $1 billion of debt from now until march, remember, sony make nothing on the PS3 itself, but will recoup on games! once the initial outlay per unit is over the minus threshold, it could be up to 5 years before sony sees a profit!

What you talking about, i wasnt responding to your posts or talking about sonys profits. I know they can not produce 5 million dew to the laser problem and i know they are losing money on the consoles and i know they are in debt and make money from the software, im not stupid and knew that without reading your posts. I was talking about if they had 5 million consoles for launch they would sell outwithin days if not just 1. I was responding to TheBlueRaja when he stated " Sony has exactly what they want - headlines stating that the PS3 has sold out on launch are now circulating round the internet and even the BBC has a story on it. " Implying to me that Sony only launched 80,000 units so they can look good and say they have sold out. Im sorry if thats wrong TheBlueRaja but thats how it comes across.

kronas
12-11-2006, 15:32
What you talking about, i wasnt responding to your posts or talking about sonys profits. I know they can not produce 5 million dew to the laser problem and i know they are losing money on the consoles and i know they are in debt and make money from the software, im not stupid and knew that without reading your posts. I was talking about if they had 5 million consoles for launch they would sell outwithin days if not just 1. I was responding to TheBlueRaja when he stated " Sony has exactly what they want - headlines stating that the PS3 has sold out on launch are now circulating round the internet and even the BBC has a story on it. " Implying to me that Sony only launched 80,000 units so they can look good and say they have sold out. Im sorry if thats wrong TheBlueRaja but thats how it comes across.

ok, fair enough, i dont like sony either and the head of worldwide studios phil harrison says this:

. "Given that all of our previous statements about launching in Europe simultaneously with the US and Japan turned out not to be the case, I would not like to make any definitive statements on that," he said. "It's not my job to comment on hardware supply issues other than to say some very smart people are working very hard to catch up. In fact, the ramp up is already starting to happen in supply and output, just obviously too late for us to have launched in Europe at the same times as the US."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6161456.html

:erm:

shawty
12-11-2006, 15:38
ok, fair enough, i dont like sony either and the head of worldwide studios phil harrison says this:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6161456.html

:erm:

But do you really need someone to tell you that. We all no it, he is only covering his back. When i go to work i say its going to take 2 days to a customer when i no it will take 1 1/2 days. Im just covering my back incase something goes wrong. Thats all he is doing, he isnt giving any little secrets that it might be delayed again.

May i ask why you dont like sony to.

TheBlueRaja
12-11-2006, 16:39
Shawty, i dont agree that 5 million PS3's would be sold at 425 quid in the uk on day one or in the days afterwards, in fact i doubt they would sell 5 million Ps3's in the UK ever at that price, but thats irrelevant.

I was making the point that Sony has the headlines they wanted - that they all sold out on Launch day, I didn't connect that to X units available or that Sony was holding back any units.

What i was saying was simply that they have the news report they wanted.

Persoanlly IF i was Japanese i would be well ticked off at only getting 80,000 units, whilst the Yanks get more, and also to sell out 80,000 units on a launch day isn't much news IMO as it was hardly unexpected.

kronas
12-11-2006, 16:51
May i ask why you dont like sony to.

mainly because of their business practices, most of the top guys at sony if you listen to them are arrogant, the fact that blu-ray is an inclusion in to the PS3 is showing more arrogance, the only way to guarantee mass market adoption of a new technology is to intergrate it in to something nearly everyone wants, after all who wants a stand alone HD-DVD player that can only play DVD's and music cd's ?

TheBlueRaja
12-11-2006, 16:54
the only way to guarantee mass market adoption of a new technology is to intergrated in to something nearly everyone wants,

And then charge them through the nose for it because its in there...

After all the Blu-Ray drive is one of the PS3's most expensive components if not THE most expensive component.

kronas
12-11-2006, 17:04
And then charge them through the nose for it because its in there...

After all the Blu-Ray drive is one of the PS3's most expensive components if not THE most expensive component.

the cell processor is proberbly THE most expensive then it would be the the blu-ray drive itself.

TheBlueRaja
12-11-2006, 17:09
the cell processor is proberbly THE most expensive then it would be the the blu-ray drive itself.

Actually IIRC, that's not the case its the Blu-ray drive that is the most costly.

EDIT: Clarification - what was speculated was:-

The pricing disparity between the components for the two consoles comes largely because the Sony box will contain a Blu-ray drive, which supports the new high-definition Blu-ray DVD format. That could cost $200 to $300 or more per console. The processor in the PS3 also will likely cost more.

kronas
12-11-2006, 18:07
says at the end its likely to cost more ;)

TheBlueRaja
12-11-2006, 18:21
says at the end its likely to cost more ;)

Likely, although not confirmed, im putting it down to semantics and saying that the Blu-Ray is more costly, after all it does say...

That could cost $200 to $300 or more ;)

D_Skids
12-11-2006, 19:31
I guess Sony will try and produce as many units as they can for the UK.

Why? Because as usual they are going to completely shaft us on the price so they want to make as much money for those greedy fat cats at the top of the chain as they can!

:mad::mad::mad:

kronas
12-11-2006, 19:35
they dont make money on the console! they make money on the games! hence the £49.99 price tag on them.

D_Skids
12-11-2006, 19:40
they dont make money on the console! they make money on the games! hence the £49.99 price tag on them.

So why is the UK charged almost double than anywhere else in the world?

shawty
12-11-2006, 20:03
Shawty, i dont agree that 5 million PS3's would be sold at 425 quid in the uk on day one or in the days afterwards, in fact i doubt they would sell 5 million Ps3's in the UK ever at that price, but thats irrelevant.

I was making the point that Sony has the headlines they wanted - that they all sold out on Launch day, I didn't connect that to X units available or that Sony was holding back any units.

What i was saying was simply that they have the news report they wanted.

Persoanlly IF i was Japanese i would be well ticked off at only getting 80,000 units, whilst the Yanks get more, and also to sell out 80,000 units on a launch day isn't much news IMO as it was hardly unexpected.

Of course they got the headlines they wanted but what was the point in stating it then. Obvious they wanted them headlines and obviously they would get them (like they have) why the need to say it when we all knew it was going to happen. Of course 5 million would sell easily Americas 400,000 will easily sell on day one with thousands of people waiting in a queue left dissapointed just like Japan. If news come out that 5 million are gonna be there on launch day They are going to sell simple as. They would easily manage to sell that many at the price of £425 in the UK why wouldnt they because for every 5 million who dont have enough money to buy ione there will be 5 million who can afford one. And by the way you have now connected your statement to how many where sold at launch. And i knew thats what your were originally try to do otherwise its obvious news and you wouldnt need to say it.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

mainly because of their business practices, most of the top guys at sony if you listen to them are arrogant, the fact that blu-ray is an inclusion in to the PS3 is showing more arrogance, the only way to guarantee mass market adoption of a new technology is to intergrate it in to something nearly everyone wants, after all who wants a stand alone HD-DVD player that can only play DVD's and music cd's ?

Sony are a business, just like any other business and they are putting there blu ray product into there console, not only to raise sales of blu ray but to allow more space for game developers. There is no arrogance in that its simple business. Just like most other companies. If you dont want blu ray dont buy a PS3 its simple the choice is yours. Whats arrogant about that.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

I guess Sony will try and produce as many units as they can for the UK.

Why? Because as usual they are going to completely shaft us on the price so they want to make as much money for those greedy fat cats at the top of the chain as they can!

:mad::mad::mad:

Its not just Sony that shaft us on price its any other big business.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

I know you havent connected that to Sony but just to point out to people that also Microsoft did this to so its not just Sony shafting us.

Tezcatlipoca
12-11-2006, 20:11
If you dont want blu ray dont buy a PS3 its simple the choice is yours. Whats arrogant about that.

And what if I wanted a PS3, but didn't want or need BluRay?

At least with the 360, MS give the choice of having HD-DVD or not. You're not forced to pay loads extra, just to get some HD storage format you may or may not need or want.

If the PS3 cost the same in the UK as in Japan - £270 for the top-end model - I'd happily get one. But £400-£500....Sony can sod off.

shawty
12-11-2006, 20:20
And what if I wanted a PS3, but didn't want or need BluRay?

At least with the 360, MS give the choice of having HD-DVD or not. You're not forced to pay loads extra, just to get some HD storage format you may or may not need or want.

If the PS3 cost the same in the UK as in Japan - £270 for the top-end model - I'd happily get one. But £400-£500....Sony can sod off.

Well the choice is yours not to buy one because you dont want blu ray. You cant have blu ray in the top model and not in the bottom because the games made on blu ray disc wont work on the lower model. And you can forget the Japan prices over here and thats just not Sony. Its also Microsoft and other companys like car makers.

kronas
13-11-2006, 00:04
Sony are a business, just like any other business and they are putting there blu ray product into there console, not only to raise sales of blu ray but to allow more space for game developers. There is no arrogance in that its simple business. Just like most other companies. If you dont want blu ray dont buy a PS3 its simple the choice is yours. Whats arrogant about that.

excuse me but sony are in it for themselves, as i said its arrogance just go on the net and listen to kaz hirai and the presentations at the E3 show back in may, atleast phil harrison is not too bad, but hes smarmy too, also, if you think about it, we are in effect paying a huge cost for blu-ray capability, as in a previous post in this thread which states the drives cost maybe between £200-£300, minus £200 from the cost of £425 add another £50 for a DVD laser and you have £275 for a PS3, what would you rather pay ?

as for game space thats irrelevant too, the 360 is only capable of dual layer as its highest storage medium at 8.5GB i dont hear anybody complaining about storage space, microsoft has created a platform and tools for developers which run on a familiar enviroment, there are alot of mumblings earlier on from devs saying that the PS3 is hard to code for...

Its not just Sony that shaft us on price its any other big business..

i agree atleast MS has given us the choice, if you total up the cost of a 360 + HD-DVD drive it will come up to around £400 maybe a bit over, i dont know the uk pricing for it as yet.

I know you havent connected that to Sony but just to point out to people that also Microsoft did this to so its not just Sony shafting us.

as i said sony and microsoft make their money on games, the investments made on the consoles is a huge burden on the companies, the wii games are cheaper because they are using more standard hardware and is not as superior in hardware terms as the other two.

So why is the UK charged almost double than anywhere else in the world?

diffarent levels of tax, vat, cost of importing the games, they are usally made in austria for the PS2, dont know about PS3, 360 ones are produced in ireland.

shawty
13-11-2006, 01:43
excuse me but sony are in it for themselves, as i said its arrogance just go on the net and listen to kaz hirai and the presentations at the E3 show back in may, atleast phil harrison is not too bad, but hes smarmy too, also, if you think about it, we are in effect paying a huge cost for blu-ray capability, as in a previous post in this thread which states the drives cost maybe between £200-£300, minus £200 from the cost of £425 add another £50 for a DVD laser and you have £275 for a PS3, what would you rather pay ?

Sony are in it for the money, that’s what every business runs for, I run my business for money but you also have to look after the customer. Please can you tell me were Sony haven’t looked after the customer. Sony has won the last 2 console wars so they must be doing something right for the customer. Ideally id rather pay the cheaper price but ideally id rather pay cheaper and have blu ray. Looks like ill be paying expensive to have it. Sony wanted to push blu ray so they included it in the PS3, what’s wrong with that don’t like it don’t buy it that’s simple. They can’t leave it of the lower end system because of the reason I said before. So the choice Sony has give you is buy the PS3 or don’t. It’s so simple I don’t know why people don’t get it or are moaning.

as for game space thats irrelevant too, the 360 is only capable of dual layer as its highest storage medium at 8.5GB i dont hear anybody complaining about storage space, microsoft has created a platform and tools for developers which run on a familiar enviroment, there are alot of mumblings earlier on from devs saying that the PS3 is hard to code for...

Various devs have spoke about how they are so pleased that Sony have blu ray discs so they can have a lot more freedom. Yes I know various devs have also stated they don’t need extra space. The devs are already using this space so who do we believe, yes I also know what went into the 22-25 GB of Resistance. Who do we believe, we shall come back in 5 years and find out because none of are devs and none of us know the truth. The PS2 was hard to code for and look at the games for that. Look at some of the games PS£ has already, it maybe hard to code for but what’s your point, it didn’t stop the PS2.

i agree atleast MS has given us the choice, if you total up the cost of a 360 + HD-DVD drive it will come up to around £400 maybe a bit over, i dont know the uk pricing for it as yet.

Sony have give you a choice buy it or don’t, what’s so hard about that. Don’t want to pay £400+ then don’t, don’t want blu ray then don’t buy it. The choice is yours.

as i said sony and microsoft make their money on games, the investments made on the consoles is a huge burden on the companies, the wii games are cheaper because they are using more standard hardware and is not as superior in hardware terms as the other two.

I don’t care about Wii games plus I know they make money from games you have told me once before and I already knew then.

TheBlueRaja
13-11-2006, 09:16
Snippy..

Do you work for Sony?

I'm being serious, there are rumours of people being paid to post on websites like this to put Sony in a positive light and you seem to almost exclusively post positive things about Sony even when its obvious that some things are not good business practice and against the best interest of the consumer?

Also your postings are almost exclusively in the PS3 threads.

What made me think was this quote:-

If you dont want blu ray dont buy a PS3 its simple the choice is yours. Whats arrogant about that.

That's one of the most arrogant statements i've heard in a while, people dont want Blu-Ray, they want a PS3 and yet they are forced to pay extra for a component which they do not want or need because SONY are one of the major backers of Blu-Ray.

Cant you see that?

Take the Xbox 360, a system with very similar capabilities, it uses a DVD disk for games and yet there has not been a game yet which has required more than one of them IIRC, so why do you need the storage capabilities of a Blu-Ray drive for games?

Even Oblivion, a massive game, used only one DVD.

TheBlueRaja
17-11-2006, 09:31

Actually IIRC, that's not the case its the Blu-ray drive that is the most costly.

Who's the Daddy, eh, eh, Who's the Daddy? (http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.xbox360fanboy.com/media/2006/11/isuppli-ps3.jpg

Its not even the second most expensive...

Humble pie please :D

Still looks like we were both wrong, its the gfx chip which is the most expensive, i was just less wrong than thou! :p:

NOW do you see the premium your paying for that Drive nobody really wants, the 360's DVD drive by comparison is only $20.

popper
17-11-2006, 10:38
LOL.:D

in all fairness it does say this and it explains a lot.
"
Blues for Blu-Ray
Sony’s Blu-Ray DVD read only optical device in the PlayStation 3 has dual purposes: up-converting the game console’s output to high-definition resolution, and allowing viewers to watch high-definition movies using the console, according to Krishna Chander, senior analyst, storage devices, for iSuppli.
Sony’s strategy was not lost on Microsoft, which plans to offer a separate add-on high-definition DVD system for the Xbox 360. This should be available around the holiday season this year. Nintendo has no plans to offer a next-generation DVD system in its game consoles.

Given that more studio movie releases now are supported by Blu-Ray disks, Sony’s PS3 has a slight advantage. However, Microsoft plans to offer some network television movies for download into the Xbox 360 system. "

keeping in mind that the ps3 is supposed to be marketed as 'the must have sitting room streaming entertainment system' so we have a system that can stream Hi-Def content right out of the box.

were as , the Xbox360 didnt get its Hi-Def DVD with upscaling until a year later, and apparently the price is $150 US so is officially $25 more expensive.

theres a catch though, (if you have been reading the VC-1 Xbox HD-DVD threads over on doom9,) in that this HD-DVD does not have any upscaling hardware as the ps3 does, and is infact using software only, and using that to use the main CPU to upscale (so thats a rip-off in my book).

also, YOU CANNOT play your HD-DVD compatible encoded content on the Xbox at 1080p unless you place that content on an officially supported HD-DVD media even if you buy the external HD-DVD drive, I.E you can not play this content from the harddrive or the network, only the lower spec content works for that.

TheBlueRaja
17-11-2006, 11:01
Given that more studio movie releases now are supported by Blu-Ray disks, Sony’s PS3 has a slight advantage. However, Microsoft plans to offer some network television movies for download into the Xbox 360 system. "

Ei? Last i heard no particular format had an advantage.

keeping in mind that the ps3 is supposed to be marketed as 'the must have sitting room streaming entertainment system' so we have a system that can stream Hi-Def content right out of the box.

By whom - because it cant! Only the 360 (as of the 22nd November) can stream content to the box. Also what do you mean by streaming?

were as , the Xbox360 didnt get its Hi-Def DVD with upscaling until a year later, and apparently the price is $150 US so is officially $25 more expensive.

A year later than what? And how can it be deemed to be more expensive when your not required to purchase it? Also to watch high def moves on the 360 you dont even need a HD-DVD player, you can download via Xbox live them and watch them via the console.

Show me where you can buy a Blu-Ray drive for the same price?

theres a catch though, (if you have been reading the VC-1 Xbox HD-DVD threads over on doom9,) in that this HD-DVD does not have any upscaling hardware as the ps3 does, and is infact using software only, and using that to use the main CPU to upscale (so thats a rip-off in my book).

It does it though right? Soooo - why is it a rip off - it is free you know... You dont need the HD-DVD add on to watch High Def movies remember.

also, YOU CANNOT play your HD-DVD compatible encoded content on the Xbox at 1080p unless you place that content on an officially supported HD-DVD media even if you buy the external HD-DVD drive, I.E you can not play this content from the harddrive or the network, only the lower spec content works.

And how many people can watch 1080P anyway - waste of your money... Even Sky HD broadcasts at "only" 1080i which most Uk HDTV's do support.

Your being fleeced and you cant even see it...

I've got nothing against the PS3, its a great piece of kit but your paying for things within it that are not necessary for the console because Sony is trying to push its own format again.

There is no justification for it unless your buying a PS3 because you want a (cheap) Blu-Ray player.