PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham poor performance

Devareaux
30-10-2006, 16:45
1)Browsing is sometimes slow, though downloads are usually fast. Gaming is absolutely hopeless as there seems to be no stability with the connection. Games will be fine for about 10 minutes, then there will be lag spikes and sometimes disconnections and if not that, the ping gradually gets higher and higher until response times make it unplauyable.

a) Is there a specific time that this issue is most prevalent?
There is no specific time that these issues are prevalent, they happen all the time consistently.

b) How long has this issue been going on? (days, weeks, months etc)
This issue has been going on since we had NTL installed at our house a few days ago.

2) Do you have cable TV? If so, is there any reception degradation?
No.

3) Have you contacted customer support about this problem? If so, what did they say?
Yes, they were not helpful at all.

4) What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve this problem? (aka: if you haven't tried to help yourself, why should *we* help you?)
I've tried loads of things, but I really do not know what I am doing... I do alot of trial and error with things to see if it makes a difference.

5 Who you are and what you have
a) Where in the country are you?
Lenton, Nottingham

b) What is your operating system?
amd 64bit 2.2ghz gigram windows xp

c) What is your home network setup? Provide details.
7 computers, 1 belkin router 1 switch, cable is plugged into router.

d) If you have more than one computer, is the problem occuring on all other machines?
It occurs on all other machines.

e) Are you running a firewall of any sort? Have you ever installed one? Did you try to turn it off during troubleshooting?
I have turned it off during troubleshooting, the computers and the routers. It makes no difference to the problem.

f) Please supply a traceroute from you to www.bbc.co.uk in text format
How do I do this? =\

6) Further Info: If you're posting about:

a) Connectivity issues: Please post a
line test
How?

b) Speed issues: Please post at least one speed test which tests speed in both directions.
The speed tests I've done have varied from vary good to awful because of the intermittent problems. IT seems to be just disconnecting every now and then or go through periods of being very very slow.

c) For latency issues please post traceroutes and pings to some major sites in the UK. www.bbc.co.uk, www.nildram.net, etc
It's pointless because it gives different results each time, sometimes good sometimes bad.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Another note is that I seem to actually be fully disconnected from the internet every 10 minutes or so, as my icon notification thingy in the start menu is saying. It automatically reconnects after this but is very disruptive to online gaming... makes things unplayable.

nffc
30-10-2006, 23:54
Tracert:
Open command line (Start > Run type CMD then OK)
then type tracert and the site you want to. - ie tracert bbc.co.uk

Ontopic: I'm in Nottm as well, mine is totally fine. You sure your PC's not been pwnd by some virus or spyware? Or the router is the cause?

Web-Junkie
31-10-2006, 00:01
I'm in the NG17 area and am not experiencing any major problems. The only problem I can see is some webpages 'stall' requiring a refresh to kick it up the backside and load the page.

homealone
31-10-2006, 00:04
Nottingham is weird, lately, the connection link on here says my usual Nottingham transparent proxy is not enabled, as it is probably the biggest proxy 'farm' in the country, that is surprising.

- especially as, afaik, the individual servers can still be set as 'explicit' servers in the browser???

Devareaux
31-10-2006, 00:21
Cheers for the replies all, I am not sure whether it is the router or not.. its a possibility I guess, but there is no way for me to check because I cannot plug my computer directly into the modem as its too far away for the cable.

I will run this test and get back to you all asap. I really don't understand alot of the jargon here so pardon me if I'm slow to understand things.

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

Okay did a tracert and all the ping times were sub 50... however the connection does run fine for long periods. It just seems that when I load up games that it disconnects me.

@the nottingham people, would any of you be willing to come over and check my setup out if I paid you?

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Also I really doubt it is spyware or something, everyone else is having the same lagout/timeout effect with games always and some have even said they get it when browsing.

I also use a fully up to date version of F-secure so I should not have virus issues, I never do anything risky online. The firewall on the router is on as well, I've also troubleshooted with it turned off and get the same thing.

Paul
31-10-2006, 00:48
No problems in NG16.

GazzaB
31-10-2006, 13:17
Hi Devareaux

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say based on the area you are in (Lenton = large student population) that your area is struggling with capacity. Ntl are very popular with students and the area in the past has had problems with too many users. Someone from Ntl tech support should be able to confirm if this is the case. If you wanted someone like myself to check out your setup then let me know but I would get back to ntl first to confirm it's nothing to do with them. :D

Gary

fizz
31-10-2006, 13:29
im getting big probs in ng9 at the moment internet Disconnected every 5 mins
phoned ntl they say no problems in ng9

Devareaux
31-10-2006, 17:38
Hi Gary cheers I suspect this too... and if this *is* the case, then how can I resolve it? Basically change ISP I guess? Kinda hard because I'm in a house with 7 other lads... might as well just rent a line for the house and get ADSL and pay for it myself for myself... I got a student loan to burn =p

CycoSymz
31-10-2006, 19:32
I'm in the NG17 area and am not experiencing any major problems. The only problem I can see is some webpages 'stall' requiring a refresh to kick it up the backside and load the page.

I get the same problem in the NG17 area, it can be very annoying :mad:

nffc
31-10-2006, 22:30
I get the same problem in the NG17 area, it can be very annoying :mad:
I get that too sometimes, NG4 so it's not even the same UBR.

Lemonzest
31-10-2006, 22:49
Bad problems here in NG7, crappy upload and random disconnect's. only thing i noticed changed is i went from QAM64 to QAM256 in the cable modem screen. using a NTL:250 here.

GazzaB
31-10-2006, 22:57
Well changing ISP is a last resort really if things don't improve, I don't think any ISP is immune from the problem. Ntl could get worse though with the possibility of 20mb broadband cmoing. It will only take a few people on 20mb maxing out their connection on the same upstream to kill everyone elses connection too!

Devareaux
01-11-2006, 14:30
Thank you all very much for your input, suggestions and advice. I have come to the conclusion it is the router. I will buy a new one and keep you updated, sorry to kick up a fuss.

cheers, Dave

Devareaux
02-11-2006, 13:36
Installed my new router and getting a similar problem though no where near as bad, it sometimes lags out for a second then comes back... and does it much less often, any thoughts?

enjoymarcus
02-11-2006, 18:09
I was having terrible problems, 12+ hours outage, but it seems to have cleared up now (NG1)

AntiSilence
02-11-2006, 23:15
I get that too sometimes, NG4 so it's not even the same UBR.

I'm in the NG17 area, same as Flange and Web Junkie, and now they mention it, I seem to recall a few sites that have done the same for me too.

nffc
02-11-2006, 23:36
I'm in the NG17 area, same as Flange and Web Junkie, and now they mention it, I seem to recall a few sites that have done the same for me too.

It doesn't happen too often though, and there is always the possibility it could be something en route or the site itself.