PDA

View Full Version : No browsing possible in Stoke.

anduin
28-10-2006, 14:06
Is it just me or are we in stoke and newcastle unable to get any webpages at all?

The only reason i can post this is becouse i have a different proxy set up.

gadge
28-10-2006, 14:14
Is it just me or are we in stoke and newcastle unable to get any webpages at all?

The only reason i can post this is becouse i have a different proxy set up.
seems okay here in newcastle staffs;)

anduin
28-10-2006, 18:11
What part of newcastle ? I am in Bradwell and without a proxy i am conpletely unable to browse ANY websites.

edit:
Rebooted cable modem and its now working again without proxy ( albeit slower that with the proxy still )

Delta Whiskey
28-10-2006, 18:44
I think there is a problem with the DNS servers, they have been flakey all week.

Dw.

gadge
28-10-2006, 20:07
im in chesterton.

grubbymitts
29-10-2006, 15:44
Fine up here in Porthill

scoobydoo[uk]
29-10-2006, 15:53
Ive always had to use a different proxy with my connection in Stoke, couldnt browse websites with the default one.

anduin
30-10-2006, 18:40
Well .. i'll let some simple speedtests through this site do the talking.

Using a pre-defined cache:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:38:07 UTC

1st 512K took 672 ms = 761.9 KB/sec, approx 6278 Kbps, 6.13 Mbps
2nd 512K took 641 ms = 798.8 KB/sec, approx 6582 Kbps, 6.43 Mbps
3rd 512K took 703 ms = 728.3 KB/sec, approx 6001 Kbps, 5.86 Mbps
4th 512K took 609 ms = 840.7 KB/sec, approx 6927 Kbps, 6.76 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 6447 Kbps, 6.3 Mbps

Not using a pre-defined proxy/cache:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:39:08 UTC

1st 512K took 1500 ms = 341.3 KB/sec, approx 2812 Kbps, 2.75 Mbps
2nd 512K took 1297 ms = 394.8 KB/sec, approx 3253 Kbps, 3.18 Mbps
3rd 512K took 1703 ms = 300.6 KB/sec, approx 2477 Kbps, 2.42 Mbps
4th 512K took 922 ms = 555.3 KB/sec, approx 4576 Kbps, 4.47 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3280 Kbps, 3.21 Mbps

Back to the defined cache again:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:40:16 UTC

1st 512K took 578 ms = 885.8 KB/sec, approx 7299 Kbps, 7.13 Mbps
2nd 512K took 547 ms = 936 KB/sec, approx 7713 Kbps, 7.53 Mbps
3rd 512K took 625 ms = 819.2 KB/sec, approx 6750 Kbps, 6.59 Mbps
4th 512K took 641 ms = 798.8 KB/sec, approx 6582 Kbps, 6.43 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 7086 Kbps, 6.92 Mbps

When i find a tool to check the page load times for me i will add results for that too.

edit:
Here we go..

Using my default proxy/cache that ntl push me onto without any settings change:
http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/ShowMeasurement.php?ID=52,433,679

Using a defined proxy/cache server instead of using my default one:
http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/ShowMeasurement.php?ID=52,433,589

Note the massive difference in the SurfSpeed ... there IS a problem and i am gonna call tech support now to tell them :)

anduin
30-10-2006, 21:11
Spoken to support and got off the phone to query my own intelligence - aka "why did i bother calling", what a complete waste of 40 minutes of my life.

First guy asked me to download a file from an ntl homepage. I tried to explain that the download speeds were fine and that the problem lies solely with web browsing being slow.... he starts to tell me how web browsing is directly linked to upload and download speeds... 'no its not', 'yes it is', 'no its not' ... this is how the conversation went.

I cant speak to 2nd line support becouse he can see that all the lines are busy, and i need to wait for a callback ( in around 3 hours ( 11pm .. i dont think i;d get a callback somehow )) I refuse to leave the phone and another 'discussion' persues... I explain that in the 6 years or more that i have been an NTL customer that i have NEVER recieved a callback when offered one, I ask again for 2nd line support and coincidentally he says "i can see some lines have become available now, bear with me"

I get put on hold for an age then another guy comes on....

So i explain that i play an online game where page load times are the primary factor of gameplay,. He starts talking about game ping times and latency; i explain that its web browsing thats goosed and the fact that its a web based game i dont overly care about ping times .. just page load times....

So we get into a whole stupid discussion about pinging websites, he asks me to ping the gameserver to which i explain they dont give ping replies. A long time passes where we might as well be talking about cottage cheese, So now he starts to tell me that he has checked the gameserver and its all fine, and that if there is a problem its on MY network... # sigh #

So we are babbling at eachother and i am obviously wrong, after all.. lets look at track record... NTL never have problems and MY network is obviously always down /end sarcasm

( off topic but does anyone know there is a 2nd line support team in india ? )

So i explain to him that the problem with web browsing does not exist in the daytime and gets progressively worse during 'peak times'... This seems to soak in and he does some ;checks; and comes back with a comment about some people knowing that during peak times there is a latency issue ( i swear i will go crazy soon )

He tells me he'll pass the problem ( and the url to this thread ( i forced him to come look at it )) to the network team and they apparently will respond within 48 hours.

We finished the call with me asking him to agree that if i dont get a callback within the 48 hours as he says, that he is fully aware that i will be calling back and asking specifically for him, and that i will be very irate.

For some strange reason he wouldnt agree, maybe thats becouse he knows damn well nobody will call me? who knows .. i do, i am willing to place a 50p bet at 2:1 odds with anyone who fancies a flutter on a rank outsider.

Enough of this drivel, i have babbled enough, Time to take a leisurely stroll through some websites... maybe one day i'll be able to whoosh through a few without having to be at work on a 3mb adsl connection lol.

gadge
30-10-2006, 21:25
Spoken to support and got off the phone to query my own intelligence - aka "why did i bother calling", what a complete waste of 40 minutes of my life.

First guy asked me to download a file from an ntl homepage. I tried to explain that the download speeds were fine and that the problem lies solely with web browsing being slow.... he starts to tell me how web browsing is directly linked to upload and download speeds... 'no its not', 'yes it is', 'no its not' ... this is how the conversation went.

I cant speak to 2nd line support becouse he can see that all the lines are busy, and i need to wait for a callback ( in around 3 hours ( 11pm .. i dont think i;d get a callback somehow )) I refuse to leave the phone and another 'discussion' persues... I explain that in the 6 years or more that i have been an NTL customer that i have NEVER recieved a callback when offered one, I ask again for 2nd line support and coincidentally he says "i can see some lines have become available now, bear with me"

I get put on hold for an age then another guy comes on....

So i explain that i play an online game where page load times are the primary factor of gameplay,. He starts talking about game ping times and latency; i explain that its web browsing thats goosed and the fact that its a web based game i dont overly care about ping times .. just page load times....

So we get into a whole stupid discussion about pinging websites, he asks me to ping the gameserver to which i explain they dont give ping replies. A long time passes where we might as well be talking about cottage cheese, So now he starts to tell me that he has checked the gameserver and its all fine, and that if there is a problem its on MY network... # sigh #

So we are babbling at eachother and i am obviously wrong, after all.. lets look at track record... NTL never have problems and MY network is obviously always down /end sarcasm

( off topic but does anyone know there is a 2nd line support team in india ? )

So i explain to him that the problem with web browsing does not exist in the daytime and gets progressively worse during 'peak times'... This seems to soak in and he does some ;checks; and comes back with a comment about some people knowing that during peak times there is a latency issue ( i swear i will go crazy soon )

He tells me he'll pass the problem ( and the url to this thread ( i forced him to come look at it )) to the network team and they apparently will respond within 48 hours.

We finished the call with me asking him to agree that if i dont get a callback within the 48 hours as he says, that he is fully aware that i will be calling back and asking specifically for him, and that i will be very irate.

For some strange reason he wouldnt agree, maybe thats becouse he knows damn well nobody will call me? who knows .. i do, i am willing to place a 50p bet at 2:1 odds with anyone who fancies a flutter on a rank outsider.

Enough of this drivel, i have babbled enough, Time to take a leisurely stroll through some websites... maybe one day i'll be able to whoosh through a few without having to be at work on a 3mb adsl connection lol.
i think sometimes they tell you different tales when i rang them about 3 weeks ago i quized him about throttleing the speeds and he said they were network balenceing.;)

anduin
30-10-2006, 21:30
Damn thats whats wrong .. my little blue modem weighs less that my old silver one... I am bound to be unbalanced on the network.

Another point .. NTL and Throttle .. i frequently use them words in the same sentence together too :D

gadge
30-10-2006, 21:32
Damn thats whats wrong .. my little blue modem weighs less that my old silver one... I am bound to be unbalanced on the network.

Another point .. NTL and Throttle .. i frequently use them words in the same sentence together too :D
:D:D i have found though its gone a bit iffy on xbox live just lately.

anduin
30-10-2006, 21:38
The real funky thing is ...

I am on 10mb ( 20mb trial )
two doors away is a 2mb NTL connection

Mine is poopy slow - i went to his house and his was all whooshy-woo

Surely its not coincidence ?

gadge
30-10-2006, 21:41
The real funky thing is ...

I am on 10mb ( 20mb trial )
two doors away is a 2mb NTL connection

Mine is poopy slow - i went to his house and his was all whooshy-woo

Surely its not coincidence ?
how did you get the 20mb trial dude?

anduin
30-10-2006, 22:30
It just appeared; i have always had top tier package and i guess i fitted their profile

just logged into router one night to find a shiny 20mb config file.